Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

[GUIDE] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover UEFI

RehabMan,
I have tried to install clover, but when I enter my legacy boot in my BIOS, I get a 'boot0:error'. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 1366x768 with HD4000. Thanks

image.jpg

RehabMan,
I have tried to install clover, but when I enter my legacy boot in my BIOS, I get a 'boot0:error'. I have a dell Inspiron 3521 1366x768 with HD4000. Thanks

View attachment 119653

This guide is for Clover UEFI. Boot0 error can only happen with legacy boot. The boot0 error is common with legacy if your HDD is 4k/AF.

Boot0 fix: http://www.tonymacx86.com/articles/65706-article-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Ok. Thanks I found my problem. But now when I boot I reach the clover boot screen I'm confused on my next step. All I have are options to boot windows.

image.jpg

Ok. Thanks I found my problem. But now when I boot I reach the clover boot screen I'm confused on my next step. All I have are options to boot windows.

View attachment 119655

Assuming you already have OS X installed somewhere, you probably forgot to copy HFSPlus.efi as is described in the guide.

RehabMan,
Thank You very much, I have successfully booted into OS X using clover!

Hello. I put a clover install on the USB using BaseBinaries clone method.
The USB boots and installs Yosemite fine with the BIOS in UEFI mode. I can then load yosemite from the HDD, having booted via the USB. However, I cannot boot directly via the HDD.

I receive a black yet illuminated screen (if that makes sense) for about 20 seconds, then it sends me back to the boot menu.

My steps were as follows:

After the successful yosemite install, I installed clover to the HDD, with the following options selected:
Bootloader auto selected
CloverEFI auto selected
Install RC scripts on target volume selected [i removed the USB at this point]
Optional RC scripts selected
Install clover preference pane selected

I booted to the harddrive using USB again and reinstalled clover, also selecting EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. No cigar.

Any recommendations as to a fix would be appreciated.

Hello. I put a clover install on the USB using BaseBinaries clone method.
The USB boots and installs Yosemite fine with the BIOS in UEFI mode. I can then load yosemite from the HDD, having booted via the USB. However, I cannot boot directly via the HDD.

I receive a black yet illuminated screen (if that makes sense) for about 20 seconds, then it sends me back to the boot menu.

My steps were as follows:

After the successful yosemite install, I installed clover to the HDD, with the following options selected:
Bootloader auto selected
CloverEFI auto selected
Install RC scripts on target volume selected [i removed the USB at this point]
Optional RC scripts selected
Install clover preference pane selected

I booted to the harddrive using USB again and reinstalled clover, also selecting EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. No cigar.

Any recommendations as to a fix would be appreciated.

You need to copy the appropriate config.plist after you run the Clover installer.

Don't forget about HFSPlus.efi as well...

You need to copy the appropriate config.plist after you run the Clover installer.

Don't forget about HFSPlus.efi as well...

Ah brilliant. I've edited the 'EFI' device on my HDD, changing the config.plist, including hfsplus.efi. I also copied over the FakeSMC and VodooPS2 .kexts into the kexts folder. Should I place all future kexts in this folder, or do I install them via KextWizard instead?

When creating the USB we made the following selections.
- check "Install for UEFI booting only", "Install Clover in the ESP" will automatically select
- check "Bluemac" from Themes (the config.plist files I provide use this theme)
- check "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" from Drivers64UEFI

Should I make the same selections for the install to the HDD? I had previously been ignoring them, considering them specific to the USB only.

Thank you

Ah brilliant. I've edited the 'EFI' device on my HDD, changing the config.plist, including hfsplus.efi. I also copied over the FakeSMC and VodooPS2 .kexts into the kexts folder. Should I place all future kexts in this folder, or do I install them via KextWizard instead?

I prefer to install only the kexts needed to boot the Recovery partition to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. The kexts I need for my main install, I place in /S/L/E using a kext installer.

When creating the USB we made the following selections.
- check "Install for UEFI booting only", "Install Clover in the ESP" will automatically select
- check "Bluemac" from Themes (the config.plist files I provide use this theme)
- check "OsxAptioFixDrv-64" from Drivers64UEFI

Should I make the same selections for the install to the HDD? I had previously been ignoring them, considering them specific to the USB only.

The configuration on the HDD should be a superset of the USB configuration. In addition to everything you installed to the HDD, you should also install the "RC scripts to boot volume".

Keep in mind this: The OS X installer runs on OS X. So... no matter whether you're booting the OS X installer from a USB partition or your final install on HDD, you're still booting OS X.

I prefer to install only the kexts needed to boot the Recovery partition to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. The kexts I need for my main install, I place in /S/L/E using a kext installer.

The configuration on the HDD should be a superset of the USB configuration. In addition to everything you installed to the HDD, you should also install the "RC scripts to boot volume".

Keep in mind this: The OS X installer runs on OS X. So... no matter whether you're booting the OS X installer from a USB partition or your final install on HDD, you're still booting OS X.

OSX now happily boots from HDD. Fantastic stuff. Thank you indeed.

Back