Contribute
Register

[Guide] Asus Zenbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

@baohiep: thanks for the awesome guide and associated scripts! I have a UX330UA with the i5-8250U and Intel UHD 620 graphics, and I've followed the instructions to deploy a Clover USB with the "config_ux330_kabylaker.plist" and loaded the recommended EFI drivers.

I was able to complete an install without a problem, however I'm encountering quite a bit of flicker.

I noticed that disabling "change _DSM to XDSM" in the config.plist makes this go away, but this causes the ASUS Fn key support to disappear.

Any suggestions?

I'm working on generating the debug files, however I'm still running clover on an external USB EFI partition, and the gen_debug script errors out.

I've attached the latest modified config.plist I've been working with; I've used the "config_ux330_kabylaker.plist" as a base with bits of the RehabMan's "config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist" as well. (https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist).

Edit: Additionally, I missed the steps to suppress APFS during the initial install, so I'm doing a reinstall now. Once this completes, I'll provide a list of the kexts in Library folder.

For reference, I've attached the "config_ux330_kabylaker.plist" that was generated from the make scripts.

Attachments

• config.plist
    19.2 KB · Views: 153
  • config_ux330_kabylaker.plist
    17 KB · Views: 187
zipmac, which BIOS version?
BIOS version: 302
VBIOS Version: 1051.I021UX330UAR.001
EC Version: F0KL2700.004

List of kexts in (usb-clover) EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/:
ACPIBatteryManager.kext
ACPIPoller.kext
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleALC.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
AsusSMC.kext
BT4LEContiunityFixup.kext
FakePCIID.kext
FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
Lilu.kext
LiluFriend.kext
SMCProcessor.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
VoodooI2C.kext
VoodooI2CHID.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

BIOS version: 302
VBIOS Version: 1051.I021UX330UAR.001
EC Version: F0KL2700.004

List of kexts in (usb-clover) EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/:
ACPIBatteryManager.kext
ACPIPoller.kext
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleALC.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
AsusSMC.kext
BT4LEContiunityFixup.kext
FakePCIID.kext
FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
Lilu.kext
LiluFriend.kext
SMCProcessor.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
VoodooI2C.kext
VoodooI2CHID.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
302 - are you sure that it's the latest BIOS version for your model?

From what I know, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext is included in and has been superseded by WhateverGreen.kext, so you should remove the old IntelGraphicsFixup.kext.

Are you sure you are supposed to use both, AsusSMC.kext AND VirtualSMC.kext, and not just AsusSMC.kext?

302 - are you sure that it's the latest BIOS version for your model?

From what I know, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext is included in and has been superseded by WhateverGreen.kext, so you should remove the old IntelGraphicsFixup.kext.

Are you sure you are supposed to use both, AsusSMC.kext AND VirtualSMC.kext, and not just AsusSMC.kext?

BIOS version 302 is current as far as I know for model UX330UAR/UX330UA-AH55 (i5-8250U): https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBook-UX330UA/HelpDesk_BIOS/

The UX330UAK/UX330UA-AH54 variant have BIOS version numbers higher than 302, but this is for the i5-7200U processor.

Not sure about doubling up on VirtualSMC.kext and AsusSMC.kext, I'll check on that today.

Thanks for your input!

Wish I could help you with these. But you're ahead with being able to boot with 309. For me it causes a black screen. In your specs on the left I see your graphics as GTX 940mx. Is that the graphics your Zenbook runs on, or does it run on Intel graphics?

Alphonse99, can you zip up your EFI/Clover folder (minus themes and other irrelevant folders) + add your patchmatic output? I've attached 'patchmatic extract.zip' for that purpose. That might help me debug :) Thank you.

[EDIT] regarding trackpad: there is no official public compile of the latest changes yet, but you can try compile from https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C if you have XCode. I myself have not looked into that yet.

Attachments

• untitled folder.zip
    26 MB · Views: 153
Hi first Thx a lot for the job.

I ran your installer till November and seems to be ok. I've got some troubbles with the last update installed from Apple.
After the install I lost the Backlight control for the screen. Volume fn keys are ok so are the keyboard backlight too

the processor is Coffeelake but work fine. I must admit as one guy reported it before that the battery is going down quite rapidly.

Attachments

• MacBook_Pro_de_alexiase.ioreg
    10.2 MB · Views: 171
Not sure about doubling up on VirtualSMC.kext and AsusSMC.kext, I'll check on that today.
Actually you do - baoh-/ hieplpvip writes that his AsusSMC is a PLUGIN for VirtualSMC. Had to read up on that, too .. :idea:

Experiencing random erratic mouse pointer jumps while using your trackpad? Look here:)!

Experiencing random erratic mouse pointer jumps while using your trackpad? Look here:)!

hm... checking ;)) after changed still trackpad available ;) so let me check it for a while ;)
While writing this no jumps yet ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back