Contribute
Register

[guide] AMD RX 480 8 GB + MSI H110M Gaming + Skylake i5 6500 (macOS 10.12.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I currenrly run the following setup with Sierra, completely installed like mention in the guid here on tonymacx86.

It's a dualboot with OSX on my 840 SSD and Win 10 on my 850 (2 partitions, 100gb for windows and 360gb NTFS for data shared with mac) I own a paragon license.

Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 | VTX3D HD 7850 X-Edition | 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 DDR3-CL9 | Samsung 840 Evo | Samsung 850 Evo | ASRock B85M-HDS | Corsair RM500x

Actuall due I'm using a Xeon I don't have an igpu, but if I do all stepe aboth with my 7850 and change the cards at the end - do you think I'll run in any troubles?
The problem is that you need an additional GPU to fix the black screen issue with the RX cards. Consider getting a cheap Nvidia card that is supported OOB and use that for booting (like I do the IGPU).

So I got this to work last night, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU @conath!! I've been wanting to use my RX 480 with macOS for so long now, and now I finally can! It isn't perfect, though I think it's time upgrade more of my system soon. I can't wait to see what happens when/if Apple adopts this GPU so there'll be native drivers and OOB support!

Thanks again!!!

So I got this to work last night, and I just wanted to say THANK YOU @conath!! I've been wanting to use my RX 480 with macOS for so long now, and now I finally can! It isn't perfect, though I think it's time upgrade more of my system soon. I can't wait to see what happens when/if Apple adopts this GPU so there'll be native drivers and OOB support!

Thanks again!!!
Glad you were able to get your RX 480 working. :thumbup:

I have a similar setup instead of editing your AMDRadeonX4100.kext you can use a kext patch in clover configurator.

Kernel & Kext Patches -> KextsToPatch add a new entry:
Name AMDRadeonX4100
find 67E01002
replace 67DF1002
comment RX480 Patch
check the InfoPlistPatch
change Type/Key to Data.

Devices -> Fake ID
ATI 0x67EF1002

Should work with the rest of your instructions (FWIW I only have Inject ATI checked in the Graphics pane)
Hi akhosravian, thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately this didn't work for me on macOS 10.12.3. I reset my .kext to stock and added the patch as you suggested but there's no graphics acceleration. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? (screenshot of line in Clover Configurator attached; disabled obviously but that's because I've edited the .kext again)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 00.13.16.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 00.13.16.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 229
Thank you So much for a great tutorial.
I installed my RX480 the way you did and after the last restart (after editing the 4100 Kext) I cannot pass the apple logo with the bar reaching half way before the GPU makes this funny noice and than the screen freezes.
do you have any idea what can it be?
I hope one of you guys can help-otherwise I will have to start this build right from the beginning.

Thank you So much for a great tutorial.
I installed my RX480 the way you did and after the last restart (after editing the 4100 Kext) I cannot pass the apple logo with the bar reaching half way before the GPU makes this funny noice and than the screen freezes.
do you have any idea what can it be?
I hope one of you guys can help-otherwise I will have to start this build right from the beginning.
You have to plug the display cable into the RX 480 and remove all other display cables from the computer before macOS boots! Otherwise it will not work. If it doesn't start working, set clover boot args to verbose & post picture of what you see when it hangs.

thanks for your replay..
did the verbose and posting that:
see photo attached..
my system is:
h-170n wifi with i7 6700 rx480 and 16gb ram- system on SSD 250gb

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 253
thanks for your replay..
did the verbose and posting that:
see photo attached..
my system is:
h-170n wifi with i7 6700 rx480 and 16gb ram- system on SSD 250gb
Please upload your config.plist file! And just to clarify: did you unplug all display cables from the computer before macOS boots? This is important.

Hi Conath..
I went through the procedure again...had some struggles with wifi and sound but i managed to get the system running stable.
all beside the RX480--i am running on 10.12.3 and after i install the kext and go a head to disconnect the HDMI from the igfx and connect it to the RX480 i don't get anything beside black screen.
i went back and changed in the bios to the PCI card cable still connected- the system looks like its going up, gets to the HISS sound but than stops there.

what am i doing wrong?

i attach the screenshot i did when trying to st

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 187
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back