Contribute
Register

[guide] AMD RX 480 8 GB + MSI H110M Gaming + Skylake i5 6500 (macOS 10.12.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi akhosravian, thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately this didn't work for me on macOS 10.12.3. I reset my .kext to stock and added the patch as you suggested but there's no graphics acceleration. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? (screenshot of line in Clover Configurator attached; disabled obviously but that's because I've edited the .kext again)
Hey there. I was running 10.12.2 when I posted that. After upgrading to 10.12.3 I ran into problems with only one of my displays working. I applied the stuff that original post says to manually add in via text edit and everything is working again. Heres my info.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 291
great guide! thank you :) got everything working under 10.12.3 so far.
I actually skipped step number 6. (on my 1st try I did all steps-> system didn't boot anymore. on my second try I left step 6 out)

I just tested with geek bench and get an open CL score of 94 000 so very similar to that of Avis.
However going on the geek bench website (presumably under Windows) most Rx480 get Open CL scores of 120 000+
Conath could you test with your setup how much open CL score you get?
This would be interesting to see if you get more and if so I might have to rethink about doing step 6 of your guide!

Thanks for the great support here ! :)

Unfortunately this does not seem to be working.

I can hear the GPU making the hiss sound, but then no signal output. I was able to run macOS without acceleration, but now, even if I put all the config to the state I used it with before (remove fakeID, not injecting EDID, not acpi patching display) when I was able to bootup without acc, I can't now boot up the system.

Am I doing something wrong? I did exactly as you said in your guide.

I've been using nvidia gpu (gtx460), before upgrading to rx480. MB is MSI67A-G45.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be working.

I can hear the GPU making the hiss sound, but then no signal output. I was able to run macOS without acceleration, but now, even if I put all the config to the state I used it with before (remove fakeID, not injecting EDID, not acpi patching display) when I was able to bootup without acc, I can't now boot up the system.

Am I doing something wrong? I did exactly as you said in your guide.

I've been using nvidia gpu (gtx460), before upgrading to rx480. MB is MSI67A-G45.
Hi Majko, a pity it's not working for you. Could you check if your RX 480 is installed in the first slot on the motherboard? Also try leaving out the patches in Step 6 of GPU setup and see if it makes any difference.

great guide! thank you :) got everything working under 10.12.3 so far.
I actually skipped step number 6. (on my 1st try I did all steps-> system didn't boot anymore. on my second try I left step 6 out)

I just tested with geek bench and get an open CL score of 94 000 so very similar to that of Avis.
However going on the geek bench website (presumably under Windows) most Rx480 get Open CL scores of 120 000+
Conath could you test with your setup how much open CL score you get?
This would be interesting to see if you get more and if so I might have to rethink about doing step 6 of your guide!

Thanks for the great support here ! :)
Thanks for the kind words, xoma. I've ran some benchmarks and added the (surprising) results in a spoiler at the top of the first post! (Summary: Geekbench CPU scores are 1-4% better on macOS than Win; Geekbench GPU score is 112,445; 8.5% worse than Win. Unigine Valley 1.0 on macOS has avg. 44FPS on 1080p max settings)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, xoma. I've ran some benchmarks and added the (surprising) results in a spoiler at the top of the first post! (Summary: Geekbench CPU scores are 1-4% better on macOS than Win; Geekbench GPU score is 112,445; 8.5% worse than Win. Unigine Valley 1.0 on macOS has avg. 44FPS on 1080p max settings)
conath thank you that's very interesting!

Also another thing that I want to bring to the table here: It seems like some cards are "more" compatible than others.
I have tried with 2 XFX cards one was a reference version, the other one an XFX modified one.
The reference one showed up as RX480 in system info even before applying the patch in Step 6 whereas the XFX version does not (even after doing step 6)

I've also had problems with Final Cut Pro crashing on the modified version and running fine on the reference one.

On both cards before as well as after applying step 6 in the guide I do get scores between 90.000 and 95.00 however. I will investigate further.

After changing *something* (i don't know what) I'm getting consistent open CL scores of 140.000 with my XFX card

Last edited:
Hi Majko, a pity it's not working for you. Could you check if your RX 480 is installed in the first slot on the motherboard? Also try leaving out the patches in Step 6 of GPU setup and see if it makes any difference.
Well I'm not sure which one is my first slot, but I'm using the top-most pcie slot on my mobo.

And I haven't even tried to use the last piece of code, since you said "only half of them will be used", I choosed to make it working first without all cores and if it's working, add this piece of code.

Any other ideas? :/ How can I revert it to the old, non-accelerated state?

I can also post my config.plist, if anyone have time to take a look.

After reverting the AMDRadeonX4100.kext to the original state (thus removing the ID from Info.plist), I have now at least working system without the acceleration.

:(

Last edited:
After reverting the AMDRadeonX4100.kext to the original state (thus removing the ID from Info.plist), I have now at least working system without the acceleration.

:(
Yep that kext / the Clover "Kext to patch" section are what enables the acceleration. I'd recommend to start clean with new config.plist (log out of iCloud first) and to follow the instructions again, making sure to get the EFIBIOS and Clover settings 100% correct. If it still doesn't work, please post your config.plist and all Hardware details here! :thumbup:

Some new things that I ran into:
I do have some issues with my Hackintosh Freezing / crashing on intensive tasks it seems.
while the setup will run fine mostly (with normal use) it crashes frequently / always when using Final Cut Pro. (whole Pc crashes, I have to restart)
Any ideas what the problem could be here ?

Also some fun information for everyone:
It's possible to run Dual Rx480 ( I bought 2 from amazon to see which one I liked better and send 1 back)
While the dual Setup will have no effect on the Open Cl score since Geekbench seems to only test one GPU (you can select which one) There is a decent speed gain for Final Cut Pro (if it doesn't crash)
With the BruceX test (used here in the Forum) render times went down from 18-20 seconds on a single card to 12-14 seconds on the Dual cards.

If that's worth it - not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back