Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not studied this much yet, but after what I have seen, there is no chance to fix this problem. Or in other words: there is always a way but the effort ....

There are some big differences between Sierra and High Sierra in the graphics "thing".

I said myself some time after this issue became apparent : If you own a GTX 660 / 660 Ti / 650 Ti Boost and may be other 6xx Kepler cards, then you either go back to Sierra, or replace your card by another supported in High Sierra if you insist on using High Sierra. Personally I see nothing in High Sierra that is superior to Sierra anyway so I am using Sierra as my main OS on my system although I also have El Capitan and High Sierra installed, just to see if High Sierra works or not.

By the way, the GTX 760, being also a Kepler card, apparently does not suffer from the glitches in High Sierra, as far as I can see.

Can someone please add any of the cards that are not affected with this issue... meaning right out of the box, you install and that's it? Thx.

Can someone please add any of the cards that are not affected with this issue... meaning right out of the box, you install and that's it? Thx.
Also interested in this . :)

re- high or sierra

on my old x58 board I really do find high Sierra to be more stable in so many small ways (it actually shutdown 9/10 in HS), that it adds up to a pain to go back to Sierra.......

Very frustrating. Whatever the cause, it effect video transcoding so glitches appear in the video which is a mess.

The idea of going back to Sierra is unsustainable.

And not for nothing, but the glitches appear even when I am not connected to my discrete nVidia graphics cards.

Very frustrating. Whatever the cause, it effect video transcoding so glitches appear in the video which is a mess.

The idea of going back to Sierra is unsustainable.

And not for nothing, but the glitches appear even when I am not connected to my discrete nVidia graphics cards.

I think it's time to get something like an RX560 4GB. It's very affordable and you will gain more performance.

The GTX 760 is natively supported in High Sierra (and El Capitan / Sierra also), and is apparently not affected by this issue in High Sierra, even though it is also a Kepler based card.

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the 760 as well although I believe the Sapphire Pulse RX560 is probably what I'll end up with, according to people who have had success with it.

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the 760 as well although I believe the Sapphire Pulse RX560 is probably what I'll end up with, according to people who have had success with it.

If you are looking for a new card which is not too expensive, then I agree the RX 560 is a good choice.

I just installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4GB card into my X99 build, replacing a GTX 760, and it works great with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and Sierra 10.12.6 (Sierra requiring the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts).

If you are looking for a new card which is not too expensive, then I agree the RX 560 is a good choice.

I just installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4GB card into my X99 build, replacing a GTX 760, and it works great with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and Sierra 10.12.6 (Sierra requiring the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was told that High Sierra and Sierra won't require Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts on my Mac Pro 2009 computer (updated processor from 8 core to 12, firmware to 2010) with an installed RX560 card. Is that correct? I'm looking for a card that doesn't require any system file change and is simply plug & play. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back