Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please add any of the cards that are not affected with this issue... meaning right out of the box, you install and that's it? Thx.

The GTX 760 is natively supported in High Sierra (and El Capitan / Sierra also), and is apparently not affected by this issue in High Sierra, even though it is also a Kepler based card.

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the 760 as well although I believe the Sapphire Pulse RX560 is probably what I'll end up with, according to people who have had success with it.

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the 760 as well although I believe the Sapphire Pulse RX560 is probably what I'll end up with, according to people who have had success with it.

If you are looking for a new card which is not too expensive, then I agree the RX 560 is a good choice.

I just installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4GB card into my X99 build, replacing a GTX 760, and it works great with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and Sierra 10.12.6 (Sierra requiring the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts).

If you are looking for a new card which is not too expensive, then I agree the RX 560 is a good choice.

I just installed a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4GB card into my X99 build, replacing a GTX 760, and it works great with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and Sierra 10.12.6 (Sierra requiring the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was told that High Sierra and Sierra won't require Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts on my Mac Pro 2009 computer (updated processor from 8 core to 12, firmware to 2010) with an installed RX560 card. Is that correct? I'm looking for a card that doesn't require any system file change and is simply plug & play. Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was told that High Sierra and Sierra won't require Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts on my Mac Pro 2009 computer (updated processor from 8 core to 12, firmware to 2010) with an installed RX560 card. Is that correct? I'm looking for a card that doesn't require any system file change and is simply plug & play. Thanks.

I am not exactly sure about the situation on a real Mac like yours.

But if I am right I don't think you should boot a real Mac using Clover anyway as it may cause serious problems. So I think you should not be able to use those kexts.

I am not exactly sure about the situation on a real Mac like yours.

But if I am right I don't think you should boot a real Mac using Clover anyway as it may cause serious problems. So I think you should not be able to use those kexts.

Thanks for your input, Jamesbond007. I've had much success with a GTX660 in Sierra on my Mac Pro and I was hoping the RX560 will give me the same result using Sierra and High Sierra. I understand that most of the posts on this thread is based on hackintosh computers. I guess I'll just have to purchase the RX560 and see how it all goes.

I'm also getting these issues with my GTX 660 and High Sierra.

At the moment, the pain is just about bearable. The glitch will appear maybe once every two or three hours. Some apps seem to set it off more than others. The GenyMotion Android emulator seems to trigger it most. Sometimes the glitches spread to other apps and the OS itself, whereas other times they're localised only to that one particular app. Restarting the app will often fix it. Changing the Display to another resolution, then back again, fixes it sometimes but not others.

Looking at alternative cards available in my neck of the woods, I can get a 2GB GTX 1050 for $160 (Australian). That would double that amount of video RAM over my GTX 660, at least. I don't know if it would add much else to performance though. The rest of my machine is quite old, so I don't want to spend huge amounts on upgrades.

My Mac graphics needs aren't that demanding, but I do a lot of Steam gaming under a Windows partition on the same machine - e.g. Batman Arkham Knight at the moment.

Last edited:
so I jumped ship and bought a 4gb 560. just wondered what changes (before I start searching the forums) I need to make to clover etc etc to use this card in place of the Nvidia..... ta very

so I jumped ship and bought a 4gb 560. just wondered what changes (before I start searching the forums) I need to make to clover etc etc to use this card in place of the Nvidia..... ta very

I also would like to know what do you need to do to upgrade to a natively supported video car from our video card.
Since I used to have "native supported graphics card" before do I just plug and play ? or i have to change my config file or something ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back