Contribute
Register

GTX 660 glitch issue with MacOS High Sierra 10.13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange. My Asus 660TI 3GB runs absolutely smooth and really fast with Apple drivers and also with Web Drivers on 2 displays - no glitches, good acceleration and so on, perfect.

That's strange... Could you please upload your config.plist?

Thanks

Here my config file and a screenshot what is installed.
There seem to be no difference between Apple and Webdriver, in the moment I´m on Webdriver.
The system is Vanilla 13.1 with NVIDIA Webdrivers.
The screens are connected to 2 DVI ports, what can make a difference. i did not test other ports.

Attachments

• config660TI.plist
    10.6 KB · Views: 359
  • 660TI-Efi.pdf
    702.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Here my config file and a screenshot what is installed.
There seem to be no difference between Apple and Webdriver, in the moment I´m on Webdriver.
The system is Vanilla 13.1 with NVIDIA Webdrivers.
The screens are connected to 2 DVI ports, what can make a difference. i did not test other ports.

TY for the plist
I did a quick comparison with mine and I can't spot a relevant difference.
Except that you use a MacPro6,1 which is known that it does not support 660 cards natively without a patch. (I use a MacPro5,1)
Did you apply any patch?

I also found another one who uses a SMBIOS iMac13,2 + nv 660 without glitches.
I know the model has some influence on the supported graphic cards, but I don't think that a wrong model can result in glitches.

Found the same topic on this forum again:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-sierra-660ti-graphics-issues.231979/

I think the problem is not in the iMac model because GT-640 1GD5 (Kepler) is working fine with native drivers without Inject using iMac13,1. I'd like to add one more thing about glitches - GTX 550(Fermi) TI also have same glitches as described in the topic, however GT 610 (Fermi) didn't. But It hangs up randomly.

Did you apply any patch?

Just the patches which you see in the config file. The system is absolute vanilla, no changes whatever except the NVIDIA Drivers.

Same problem here. Pixels and checkerboard patterns everywhere in my High Sierra installation when using my GTX660 (non TI)! I was watching closely this thread. More than 10 days without any update, guys..... Is it hopeless...?

Same problem here. Pixels and checkerboard patterns everywhere in my High Sierra installation when using my GTX660 (non TI)! I was watching closely this thread. More than 10 days without any update, guys..... Is it hopeless...?

There seems to be no solution for this at present. If you want to fix this problem now, you may need to :
(1) Move back to Sierra, which will work with GTX660, or
(2) Change to another graphics card known to work with High Sierra

I'm sticking to my main Sierra install for now. I would like to enjoy those x10 gains in graphics by the Metal 2 API someday, though!
:D Thanks for the reply Jamesbond007.

I officially give up!

Yesterday I've installed the "Security Update" from the App-Store.
In parallel I've installed a GT 640.
After the first boot everything seemed to work nicely.
I've installed the GT 640 as a second GPU next to my 660 Ti.
I got the same glitches which I had before but only on the monitor which was connected to the 660 Ti.
So I wanted to switch completely to the 640.

But during the last uptime I've noticed some strange "SSD busy lags" so I decided to remove the 640 and boot the system as it was before. (To exclude any failures caused by the other 640)
The system didn't came back on....
Something about "too many corpses being created"
I think it was caused by the Security Update as I didn't change anything else than the hardware. Or it was just a coincidence.

I've tied to repair the partition but the "stupid" APFS didn't allow it because the recovery partition was in the same container as the system partition. So I created an USB drive with High Sierra on it.
Using the USB drive I could perform the fsck_apfs which returned me an "object map checksum error"

Long story short:
I've used my TimeMachine backup to fully restore my system back to Sierra.
(First install Sierra with USB dirve so that I got rid of the APFS, then used the Restore function from the recovery partition)

As many of you I now will wait until the 660 problem on High Sierra is fixed.

UPDATE:
I found the source of the problem I had:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...isabling-nvidia-driver-driver-updated.239245/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back