Contribute
Register

GPU RX580: Will this work on Catalina with this installation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170G5
CPU
Graphics
EVGA 970
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello community. I seek your opinion today hoping that my message is in the right category because it concerns mac OS and Hardware. My current configuration:
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170x G5​
CPU: i7-6700K Skylake​
GPU: GTX 970​
RAM: Crucial 2x16GB​
SSD: EVO 850 (256+ 512MB)​

I need to switch to Catalina for software compatibility issues

My question is the following: since my GPU is not compatible with Catalina, does an AMD RX580 8GB seem a good plan, will it be compatible with my installation and could I migrate to Catalina without too much trouble?

Note that my installation is on Mac OS 10.12.4, which I use clover v2.3 r3766 The hack is configured as an iMac 17.1

Such an update scares me: I don't know much about it and I'm afraid of breaking everything that has worked well so far!

Thanks a lot for your help !

Hello community. I seek your opinion today hoping that my message is in the right category because it concerns mac OS and Hardware. My current configuration:
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170x G5​
CPU: i7-6700K Skylake​
GPU: GTX 970​
RAM: Crucial 2x16GB​
SSD: EVO 850 (256+ 512MB)​

I need to switch to Catalina for software compatibility issues

My question is the following: since my GPU is not compatible with Catalina, does an AMD RX580 8GB seem a good plan, will it be compatible with my installation and could I migrate to Catalina without too much trouble?

Note that my installation is on Mac OS 10.12.4, which I use clover v2.3 r3766 The hack is configured as an iMac 17.1

Such an update scares me: I don't know much about it and I'm afraid of breaking everything that has worked well so far!

Thanks a lot for your help !

Yes, the RX 580 is supported on MacOS High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.

Consider getting a spare SSD and after replacing the graphics card and temporarily disconnecting your other SSDs, install Catalina on the new SSD to see if it works for you. If not you can still fall back to your old working Sierra.

Yes, the RX 580 is supported on MacOS High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.

Consider getting a spare SSD and after replacing the graphics card and temporarily disconnecting your other SSDs, install Catalina on the new SSD to see if it works for you. If not you can still fall back to your old working Sierra.

Thank you for your advice Jamesbond007 !
Maybe a stupid question: if RX580 is supported natively, What am I supposed tu do to make it work great ? Juste put it inside ? Nothing to do with Clover, Bios or other ?

Thanks again

Yes, it is natively supported in Catalina for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back