i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Everyone,

Needed some help with a graphics card...I already built my rig and it works almost flawlessly. I plan to use Aperture and Photoshop, and I was told that having a GPU would help with loading and editing photos. I'm currently running Intel HD 4000 graphics. Background:
i5 3570k, 24GB 1867mhz RAM, 1 SSD and 1 3TB HDD, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, iMac 27" as monitor through Displayport>miniDisplayport cable.

I only have a 430w power supply, and I think I'm starting to reach the limit, so I wanted to find a low power consuming GPU that will help add performance but at a low cost.

First question - Do I have to find one with a displayport output, or can you install a GPU and have it work while running the video out of the motherboard? My motherboard has Displayport and it works great. I'm assuming I can run Intel HD4000 + a GPU at the same time, but I wasn't sure if I HAD to find a GPU with Displayport out or if I could use the mobo (Displayport output really limits the number of graphics cards available).

I saw one at Best Buy on clearance, a XFX Radeon HD 6750 with displayport, but I did some searching and I don't think people have had luck with 6750 on Mountain Lion.

I also saw a Zotac GeForce 430 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500204 with displayport, low power consumption, but seems like this is an older card and may not add that much performance to my rig.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

-Eric

i run a 430 with that amount of stuff or more actualy and have a 6850 so dont be scared about the power supply

Great to hear, as lazy as this sounds, I wasn't looking forward to getting a new power supply, selling the old one, then working on re-connecting all the wires and such.

Random noob question, but if I do get a 6870 or another card, do you connect the monitor to the graphics card to be able to use the GPU memory?

Meaning, I have HD4000 graphics now, if I add a non-integrated graphics card, do I have to run the video signal out of the graphics card to utilize it's performance? I'm clueless about this stuff. I don't need dual monitor setup, but I do need to use displayport (which my mobo already has and works with). Or, is it basically, adding a non-integrated graphics card means you are skipping onboard graphics and just using the GPU, so it has to be plugged into the GPU? Thanks!

If you put graphics card in slot to use the graphics card you must plug monitor into it.

You also can have both.
Meaning plug a monitor into graphics card and plug the other monitor into board.

The video in graphics card is NOT routed back to motherboard video output.
Where did you get that idea ?

Video cards do come with display ports but they are harder to find.

You can always buy an adapter.

Thanks for the response, makes sense. I didn't really understand how GPU's were incorporated into a computer system, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to use the motherboard output but utilize the memory from the GPU.

I guess I'll use my system for a while and see if a discrete GPU will be needed or not for what I do. Hopefully not, but I have a tendency to keep buying more stuff for this build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back