Contribute
Register

Gordo Build: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with 5870/6870 (Guide Linked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jtsymbo said:
Gordo, thanks for all the great info you have provided all of us. You have helped this newbie very much and I love my Hackintosh.
I have the Fractal Design Define R3 case as well and I have some questions about cooling:
1) Do you only have the 3 fans, 2 in the front and 1 in the back? None in the top?
2) Are you using Fractals variable fan controller supplied with the case?
3) All my fans are running full speed all the time, is there a solution to back them off when the computer is idling? Something tied to the bios maybe or sensitive to the case temperature?
Thanks for any help!!
Jim

1) I have 4 fans on the case, 2 in front, 1 in back, 1 on the bottom. I did not put any on the top/side because it would make the noise greater.
2) No, I just use silent fans :)
3) You can do this with software, but since I cannot hear my computer anyway, I have no need for this.

mweholt said:
I have the exact same setup, but after I install Lion from the Unibeast drive and try booting my Macintosh HD it goes straight to kernel panic. I have NO idea what to do.

A screenshot of the kernel panic would be helpful. Try rebooting with Unibeast and rerunning Multibeast.

hydreds said:
Gordo,

I have a similar system. I was having trouble Chimera loading super slow. Around 32 seconds. I figured out the problem problem was CD/DVD rom ( ASUS).

:banghead:
If my DVD drive is in Intel Z68 controlled SATA ports ( Marvel chipset SATA ports are empty ) Chimera takes a longtime to give me an option to choose OS. (again 32 seconds).
All drives are recognized as SATA ports in BIOS.

:banghead:
If I plug SSD in Marvell chipset 6gb/s SATA ports Bios recognizes it as IDE drive. Defiantly I don't want that. DVD drive still in Intel Z68 controlled SATA ports, Chimera takes longtime to give me an option to choose OS. (again 32 seconds).

:!:
If my SSD and HD drives are in Intel Z68 controlled SATA ports and DVD in Marvel chipset SATA port, Bios recognizes it as IDE drive. But Chimera takes 4 seconds to give me an option to choose OS. :)
All other drives are recognized as SATA ports in BIOS.

Why is this behavior? Any idea why Bios not seeing it as SATA drive?
One more observation Windows 7 see DVD as SATA where ever you plug in.

You already diagnosed it. It's the DVD drive. Personally, I'd pay $18 and get a Sony Optiarc and be done with it.

thx gordo

i am using your post for my build, work great :D
thank you verey much.
this is my first hack and i love it :mrgreen:

Another big thanks to you Gordo!

You're guide and threads here have helped me a ton. :thumbup:

I know you have already mentioned that sleep fixes didn't apply to you but have you ever since played around with it or found a fix that "just works" ?

Thanks again!

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to Gordo for his epic guide and countless others on the site. As a result I have managed to build a sweet as CustoMac build with no issues in no time at all. No way it would have been possible without this brilliant community so THANK YOU!

Hi Gordo74,

first of all, I want to say thanks for the build and the guides, I really appreciate all that work.

I want to buy the same build as you, but for the CPU, my nearest computer store only sells the i5-2500K with the HD Graphics 2000 ; the seller confirmed they don't have the HD Graphics 3000 version in store. Is it important to get the HD Graphics 3000 version?

Thank you.

teka5,
The i5-2500K processor supports HD 3000. The non K version doesn't, IIRC. However, you'll have do your research on the Intel web site as they've published a chart that shows which 2000 series processors support HD 3000.

You only need the HD3000 if you don't use a graphics card. I was surprised how much I could do w/o a graphics card in Zorro. I started out with HD 3000 to help test the tonymacx86 software last Spring. I stayed with it as it worked well for my uses. I don't game or do media work outside of an occasional use of Apple's iPhoto, iMovie or GarageBand, all of which work well. HD 3000 has saved me money since I don't need a graphics card on my Zorro system.

If you are going to need a graphics card, be sure to use one of the ones in tonymacx86 Recommend Builds (and Components) Guide (see my signature block for the link). These cards work OOB. These Reference Design graphics cards which Apple supports natively in OS X. I have several from that list, and they work well.

So which system definition are you guys using for this build? I have pretty much this same build and have been using the Mac Pro (Early 2008) and it runs great just wondering if I can squeak more out of it!

i just finish a build whit this mono but my Firewire are not working can you share your DSDT ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back