Contribute
Register

Gordo Build: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with 5870/6870 (Guide Linked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the sweet build, Gordo - I'm looking to build one very similar here soon due to the capabilities and extensive documentation that you have provided.

I just have a few questions:
After the switch to the Fractal R3 case, does the RAM/video card fit easily? At one point, the guide stated that you may want to choose a small video card/RAM because larger ones could bend in the Centurion case (which destroys them quickly) - is this no longer the case? I just want to be sure.

Secondly, how viable is it to have the OS and certain applications run on the SSD, with general storage AND Windows 7 on the separate hard drive? I feel like if I install Lion on the SSD and then as soon as I get it running 100% I install Windows 7 on a partition on the other drive, it should be good but is that possible or would it be simpler to have 2 SSDs - one for each OS?

Lastly, will I need 2.5" to 3.5" converters for any SSDs that I use (to fit in the bays)?

Thanks very much for your support!

The R3 case has a bit more space for the video card. I know theGigabyte 6870 will fit.

The hard drive config will work with lion on one and win7/data on the other. I use two SSDs because I like the speed of the SSD on both os's.

You won't need the converter. The R3's drive holder have screw holes for SSDs.

I have an R3, it's great.

FWIW, I have four cards in mine and a pretty big 6870 (mine is a Sapphire 4-port DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI, DP).

(Advice: get a modular power supply)

r3hac-internal.jpg

Gordo, many Thanks!! :clap: Amazing thread. Great build.
I finished mine last weekend, flawless, solid, silent, I'm impressed...

Sharing my experience: I did two clean installs, same bios, same multibeast settings. First one got no audio. So I got Gordo's FAQ advice, and run multibeast again, installing only the audio part and got KP and no boot, well the peecee panicked, not me. I just went to sleep. On Sunday I tried again and everything worked OOB...
The only part where I messed up was the blue tooth, I bought the Asus Mini Bluetooth Dongle (USB-BT211), That Tony clearly says won't work.

:thumbup:

Thanks again, Gordo, for your terrific advice! Just finished my build hours ago, and let me tell you - speediest machine I've ever used.

A few interesting anecdotes - firstly, a rookie mistake; I forgot to plug in the ATX-12V cables, letting my machine turn on for a brief agonizing moment before it shut right back off. Re-sat everything including RAM, video card, headers, cooler, and CPU before realizing my mistake. Embarrassing.
Secondly, it took me a few tries (at least 8) to get Lion installed. This was by no means a fault of the instructions or method, I just think my build decided to be finicky. I was getting KP and other various errors while trying to get to the install screen for Lion; I fixed this by redoing the flash drive I was using to install Lion and using the line "-f -v" to reset the kexts (-f) and allow me to see what was going wrong (verbose mode, -v). I thought that'd be useful for someone who experiences similar problems. Also, external hard drives (not flash drives) crashed the computer before I had installed the combo update and used Multibeast; just make sure you get that done ASAP (now it works fine).

100% working build, as far as I can tell - sound, sleep, the whole shebang. Tested ethernet and found that it wouldn't work - following Gordo's instructions to use a different Realtek driver (found in the FAQ section) fixed the problem quickly.

If anyone is interested I do have a few pictures.

Thanks again!

The only thing I've found is that I cannot use more than one monitor at a time - does anyone have a similar problem or know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance!

ianbleaker, you'll have to provide a hellva lot more information about your system (make/model #s), installation method and monitor connections (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, miniDisplayPort or VGA). We're not telepathic.

Since you blew off reading the Rules when you registered, how about complying with Rule #3 - putting a brief system description in your signature block. By doing this, you help us help you better. :thumbup:

That post was more of a quick shout out to see if anyone else had problems, but here ya go:

Gigabyte GA-Z68Z-UD3H-B3 motherboard
AMD XFX Double D Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
Intel i5 2500k processor
8gb (2x4gb) G-Skill Ripjaws X Series RAM
620w Antec ECO power supply
(Edit: and see signature for more detail)

I've plugged in a DVI connection from my primary monitor to the GPU, and it's working wonders. The problem comes in when I try to use a second monitor attached to the integrated HD 3000 graphics unit; it seems not to want to recognize that at all. The second monitor is VGA and the graphics card does not have VGA ports, so I plugged it to the integrated graphics. While in preferences, I cannot seem to get the monitor to be recognized; I went into the BIOS and made sure that integrated graphics was always enabled, even when there was a graphics card inserted, and forced it to use the integrated graphics first which made the boot screens appear on the secondary monitor - progress - but the actual output went to the primary monitor, freezing the secondary monitor on the Lion loading screen (though everything was working normally on the primary monitor).

Did I miss anything? Maybe there is some sort of kext I am missing; this is my first Hackintosh build so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

P.S. Let me know if you need more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back