Contribute
Register

Going to start a long term build project G4 Cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick I don't know how you cut the Gelid when you notched out the two USB accesses on the top edge, but if you dremeled it, go slow. There's a searing amount of heat buildup if you don't go easy on it. Certainly enough to transfer into the attached fan and possibly damage it. Also if there's excessive cutting vibration, that'd be suspect of your problem. Cover the fan with packing tape too, so as to prevent aluminum filings entering the tiny bearings.

It took me 20 minutes minimum to cut each of the three Gelids I've used, and never any issue whatsoever.

Ersterhernd

Rick I don't know how you cut the Gelid when you notched out the two USB accesses on the top edge, but if you dremeled it, go slow. There's a searing amount of heat buildup if you don't go easy on it. Certainly enough to transfer into the attached fan and possibly damage it. Also if there's excessive cutting vibration, that'd be suspect of your problem. Cover the fan with packing tape too, so as to prevent aluminum filings entering the tiny bearings.

It took me 20 minutes minimum to cut each of the three Gelids I've used, and never any issue whatsoever.

Ersterhernd

Hi Ersterhernd,

Yes I cutted the Gelid with a dremel and it indeed became very hot, I think I was done cutting in 10 minutes so I'll be more carefull with the next one and will take my time for it, And next time I'll use some tape sometimes I want to fast hehe.. This is how the Gelid looks like now.

Last night I bought the Dell DW1510 Wifi card from ebay here the link >> http://www.ebay.nl/itm/300688617265...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2223wt_1163 <<

This antenna cable >> http://www.ebay.nl/itm/390612641995?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2860wt_1397<<
A Apple IR receiver from this site >> https://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-Infrared-board-p-18041.html<<
And the Apple remote (newest) on a dutch second hand site for only 10 euros.

Now the only thing I need is one Edison touch sensor.

Rick,

Attachments

• 2013-07-11T16-37-30_0.jpg
    2013-07-11T16-37-30_0.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 225
Hi rick, cool project.... Is the noctua nh-l9i not better suitable?

im building a cube too and decided to go with a z77n wifi. Hard to find cubes in the netherlands ;)

changed the Gelid cpu cooler for the stock intel to test if it boots and it does!

So I will buy a new Gelid cpu cooler.

Rick,
Good to hear.

im building a cube too and decided to go with a z77n wifi. Hard to find cubes in the netherlands ;)
It depends on your CPU, if you are going for a lower wattage i3 then any cooler should be OK. If you go for an i7, you need to be a bit selective. I did a bit of research on coolers when doing my Cube build, here is my list.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-parts/103860-low-profile-cpu-coolers.html#post634145

PS Your not alone, hard to find cubes in Australia also.

This is how I did it ;-)

IMG_0982.jpg

CPU is a I5 3570K

Hi Madtraxx,

Yes I've seen the noctua nh-l9i and it is indeed a very good cpu cooler but Noctua also is not one of the cheapest coolers so and like Kiwi said it is just a i3 so no need for any high performance cooler the Gelid will do fine for me.

Good luck with your build hope to see a new thread soon in the G4 cube section !

I know it was hard to get a cube in Holland but I think it is even harder to get one in Australia, I was lucky that someone wanted to sell one to me in holland for 50 euros inlc sent costs.

Good to hear.

It depends on your CPU, if you are going for a lower wattage i3 then any cooler should be OK. If you go for an i7, you need to be a bit selective. I did a bit of research on coolers when doing my Cube build, here is my list.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-parts/103860-low-profile-cpu-coolers.html#post634145

PS Your not alone, hard to find cubes in Australia also.

Thanks Kiwi!

Nice list and very helpfull!

Rick,

Okay today arrived the IR receiver I ordered so I began soldering it to a internal USB header.

After that I hooked up and it directly gets recognized by osx but only the up and down buttons work and they work as volume controls..

Rick,

Attachments

• 2013-07-13T14-45-37_0.jpg
    2013-07-13T14-45-37_0.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 212
Okay today arrived the IR receiver I ordered so I began soldering it to a internal USB header.

After that I hooked up and it directly gets recognized by osx but only the up and down buttons work and they work as volume controls..

Rick,
which means its working, right, were you expecting more? If so it depends dn the foreground application, what it dan support. If you really want to take advantage of the remote, then I can highly recommend the RemoteBuddy software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back