Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

FYI - on the DDR4 board, you cannot run XMP and 4 dimms of RAM. It won't work at all, only 2 dimms are allowed for XMP.

@beelzebozo @jorsh

I have the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 board and have been using XMP Profile 1 with 4 DIMMs @ 3600 MHz without issue. The four DIMMs were purchased as a set. They are Corsair as shown in the System Information window purchased as a set at least nine months ago. I have an i9-12900K using MacPro7,1 under Ventura and various versions of OpenCore including 0.9.3.

Memory.jpg

BIOS.jpg

@beelzebozo @jorsh

I have the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 board and have been using XMP Profile 1 with 4 DIMMs @ 3600 MHz without issue. The four DIMMs were purchased as a set. They are Corsair as shown in the System Information window purchased as a set at least nine months ago. I have an i9-12900K using MacPro7,1 under Ventura and various versions of OpenCore including 0.9.3.

View attachment 572120

View attachment 572121
Which BIOS version?

It's possible if they are rated for 3600Mhz it's fine but my Patriot Steel Viper 4400Mhz 4x8GB sticks won't post with XMP enabled. I read all over that it is an issue with 4 sticks of RAM, and I had problems as well.

Last edited:
Which BIOS version?

It's possible if they are rated for 3600Mhz it's fine but my Patriot Steel Viper 4400Mhz 4x8GB sticks won't post with XMP enabled. I read all over that it is an issue with 4 sticks of RAM, and I had problems as well.
I'm on BIOS F22. Also using Macpro 7,1 but with an i9 13900K. My sticks are also Corsair as @NCMacGuy. These ones in particular

I think I need to be educated more. When I first launch Photoshop, every time I try to make an adjustment in an adjustment layer window, the program frezes for a few seconds and then it's all good. I can't think of other examples right now, but that is the most common/annoying thing about this build vs my previous hack. Does this count as instability? There are small stutters like that here and there, like launching a new Finder window sometimes is slow, or it lags when pressing the spacebar for a quick preview on Finder (I have an nvme ssd).

If y'all think any of this could be related to the XMP setting, I can turn it off and report back.

Anyone tried with the latest macOS 14.0 Sonoma?

I have a working config with ventura, after a clean install of sonoma, everything seems work fine. I have sleep, wakeup. but after I restart computer and login again, sonoma said "the computer shutdown because of a problem."

But when I add the "-v" in boot-args, and reboot again, I even tried to record the screen with slo-mo video, I didn't see any errors when I reboot.

But this "the computer shutdown because of a problem." keeps showing every time.
This link will solve the problem.

i haven't tried ddr5 on my hackintosh (z690 aero g ddr4)
but i have asus z670e creator + 192gb of ddr5 corsair modules

yea, we were both talking about different things. I was referring to the 192GB DDR5 set of 4.

I have the Z690 Aero G DDR5 motherboard.

I guess I'll try it out and let you guys know soon.

I thought $565 for a set of 192GB DDR5 was expensive. It made me feel better after looking at Apple RAM upgrade options
:lol:

1695876232220.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
yea, we were both talking about different things. I was referring to the 192GB DDR5 set of 4.

I have the Z690 Aero G DDR5 motherboard.

I guess I'll try it out and let you guys know soon.

I thought $565 for a set of 192GB DDR5 was expensive. It made me feel better after looking at Apple RAM upgrade options
:lol:

View attachment 572131
Off topic motherboard…

Given the situation with Broadcom, I switched to the intel BT/WF module. I can connect my apple magic keyboard and track pad with no problem but my MX Master 3 is identified but it will not connect. I've tried everything that Logitech instructs one to do to no avail. Also, my Bose BT headsets connect but is intermittent. Any ideas?

Hi everyone,

CaseySJ and others already helped me a lot while building the DDR5 version of this setup, many thanks so far.

Now, I have a completly different issue: I can't upgrade my system beyond 13.5.1.
When I tried to install 13.5.2 from the system settings, it started doing so, restarted and then was stuck immediatly when the Apple logo appeared. While I already had a similar issue when installing 13.5.1., it somehow worked out there (trying to boot from different devices, recovery, whatever I don't know exactly) and completed the installation in the end.

But with 13.5.2... no avail. Verbose boot did not show anything worthy. The verbose text wooshed over the screen, then the Apple appeared and it was stuck -.-
I had to copy my backup disk back over my boot disk, which I'm glad worked flawlessly.

Since then 13.6. was released and I updated my OpenCore to 0.9.6 (and all kexts hackinDROM did update, from 0.9.1 I think) but I did not try to update again. I wanted to ask here first, if anyone knows this behaviour or a fix for it.

Should I simply try it again with 13.6. and OD 0.9.6? Any other hints where I could take a look first or how to find out what's actually wrong when boot hangs?

Regards
Jo

Back