Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi mattbatt! I'm a newbie (and a lurker) when it comes to the osx86 scene. Your posts have helped me out tremendously, and I really appreciate it! I have the same EXACT build as you (same mobo, gpu, and even the same KF variation of the i9-13900), so as I've been searching for guidance your posts have repeatedly popped up.

I would absolutely love it if you made a build post or a video for your setup. The latest copy of your EFI, along with your specific BIOS settings (including your voltage settings) would be the icing on the cake if you have time for it. I'm planning on doing lots of video and photo editing work - which I gather is what you primarily use your build for, too. I think it's especially helpful that you've been stress testing and benchmarking your system with editing in mind, and that you've managed to iron out the small kinks along the way. Cheers!
Awesome SteveXT - I do want to do a video post. I have been trying to figure out why after a few sleep patterns it will not wake up, still having some issues there. But it is almost perfect :)

@beelzebozo @jorsh

I have the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 board and have been using XMP Profile 1 with 4 DIMMs @ 3600 MHz without issue. The four DIMMs were purchased as a set. They are Corsair as shown in the System Information window purchased as a set at least nine months ago. I have an i9-12900K using MacPro7,1 under Ventura and various versions of OpenCore including 0.9.3.

View attachment 572120

View attachment 572121
You have manual sleep and sleep on timer with 2nd sleep/wake working on F22, meaning once it sleeps on timer, it will sleep again after that?

F27 BIOS released

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...11_f27.zip?v=a7470e9a11f3705e31faeb8433ae0504

1. Checksum : 6874
  2. Follow Intel to upgrade Microcode CPUID ver. 0x11D
  3. Introduction of new BIOS user interface for user-centered intuitive UX with quick access function
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/2115
2nd sleep still broken on my end and the new UI is awful…

Desktop took about 3 minutes to render.

View attachment 572162

The second one addresses this issue:

Did you upgrade to the newer BIOS F27?

I usually look at the first post to confirm all my BIOS setting is good after every update. With the new UI, that would take me more time to look around.

Why Desktop took 3 mins to render? Is it caused by new BIOS?

Last edited:
The second one addresses this issue

did you upgrade to the newer BIOS F27?

I usually look at the first post to confirm all my BIOS setting is good after every update. With the new UI, that would take me more time to look around.

why Desktop took 3 mins to render? is it caused by new BIOS?
I tested it and posted my findings. Went back to F8. F27 addresses some BSOD issues with Raptor Lake CPUs which doesn’t apply to me.

Which BIOS version?

It's possible if they are rated for 3600Mhz it's fine but my Patriot Steel Viper 4400Mhz 4x8GB sticks won't post with XMP enabled. I read all over that it is an issue with 4 sticks of RAM, and I had problems as well.

@beelzebozo

I've stuck with BIOS F8, which works fine for me. I've seen too many reports of upgraded BIOS on various motherboards causing problems to risk changing if it's not needed.

@beelzebozo

I've stuck with BIOS F8, which works fine for me. I've seen too many reports of upgraded BIOS on various motherboards causing problems to risk changing if it's not needed.
That's what I thought...

I can't get my 4400 RAM to run on XMP by just setting that to Profile 1 as it won't train and reboots back into BIOS menu. Looking at the later BIOS release notes, it looks like GA improved memory compatibility but upgrading the BIOS is not really an option, unless I maybe upgrade to 13th Gen CPU.

yea, we were both talking about different things. I was referring to the 192GB DDR5 set of 4.

I have the Z690 Aero G DDR5 motherboard.

I guess I'll try it out and let you guys know soon.

I thought $565 for a set of 192GB DDR5 was expensive. It made me feel better after looking at Apple RAM upgrade options
:lol:

View attachment 572131

So my Corsair RGB 192GB DDR 5200MHz C38 RAM kit sku cmh192gx5m4b5200c38 posted on my z690 Aero G DDR5 MOBO. It didn't take long for me (maybe less than 2 minutes or even faster since I didn't really look at the screen).

I'm doing memory test at the moment so will update soon. XMP is disabled. I think I can have it enabled and still be ok but wanted to make sure the stock setting wouldn't introduce errors in the test. Corsair docs mentioned that as long as I haven't messed with the CPU setting (e.g. overclocking) then it shouldn't have any errors (assuming the RAM kit is good).

(ignore the dusty screen)

ram-test2.png

So my Corsair RGB 192GB DDR 5200MHz C38 RAM kit sku cmh192gx5m4b5200c38 posted on my z690 Aero G DDR5 MOBO. It didn't take long for me (maybe less than 2 minutes or even faster since I didn't really look at the screen).

I'm doing memory test at the moment so will update soon. XMP is disabled. I think I can have it enabled and still be ok but wanted to make sure the stock setting wouldn't introduce errors in the test. Corsair docs mentioned that as long as I haven't messed with the CPU setting (e.g. overclocking) then it shouldn't have any errors (assuming the RAM kit is good).

View attachment 572294

I use a Corsair 2x96GB 5600MHz with XMP profile in one of my PCs (Asus Z790-P) and there are no problems.

View attachment 572294

Alright, after a long journey, the memtest passed on stock setting. XMP has been enabled. Everything is working now. I ran 4 passes on stock setting (took 14 hours) and after I got my MacOS to boot, I did another test with XMP enabled and it passed (I only ran 1 pass this time which took about 2 hours).

Something worth mentioning
  1. XMP profile took 17 minutes to post. I did it 3 times and it's consistently took 17 minutes.
  2. Windows 10 home edition only support up to 128GB, so I lost 64GB of RAM. The pro, education, etc version support beyond 128GB of RAM.
I was planning to run stress test with OCCT but due to the 128GB limit on windows, I don't think that's possible now. OCCT doesn't have MacOS version.

Had a few issues along the way.
  1. There was boot issue and was given 3 choices of reloading the bios optimized default setting or entering BIOS setting. I didn't reload optmized setting which was a mistake. Computer wasn't able to get to the OC Picker.
  2. After hours of playing with it, I gave up and just reloaded and then reconfigured BIOS setting. OC picker finally loaded.
  3. I think one of my USB ports on the front panel caused issues. It kept reloading the BIOS after picking MacOS from the picker. I was able to resolve it by shutting down and starting up the computer and it finally start up MacOS without the restart loop. I took out my USB stick and I didn't see the loop again.
TBH, it would probably save me a few hours if I just reset my bios setting at the beginning.

corsair-192gb-ram.jpg

@CaseySJ and @beelzebozo,

I removed the Fenvi T919 card. I'm running the on board Intel WiFi. Works great with the Sonoma drivers.

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 4.08.48 PM.png

Intel BT does not work. Does your Intel BT work? Am I using the correct SSDTs?

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 4.47.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 7.28.07 PM.png

Finally, sleep/wake-up does not work any longer. Upon sleep, it powers off.

Back