Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi @CaseySJ
I've been using my build for about a month and a half now and I've noticed strange performance/stability issues.

The first is that I would randomly lose USB devices. Including audio which is detected as USB audio in this build. The computer wouldn't freeze, if I was playing video, the video would still play. Unplugging and replugging devices wouldn't fix it, only a hard reset since I can't use the keyboard or mouse anymore. It happens sporadically and at random so it's hard to diagnose. Not my main concern right now, just bringing this up in case it is somewhat related to my second issue.

My main issue right now is poor graphics-accelerated performance (I think?) in Photoshop and Lightroom. When I have a document with several layers, mostly related to color adjustments, the sliders drag considerably and the adjustment isn't smooth. This is worse performance on my 6800 XT and 13900K than on my old system that had a 9700K and a 5700 xt. Even my 2019 Macbook pro with mobile graphics performs better. I also checked the same file on another build I did with your Z490 guide (intel 10th gen and an amd 6600) and even that computer is faster than my newer build. I try the same test on the Windows partition of this same machine and the performance is normal there.

I recorded the screen to visualize the lag. It might not seem as much from the video, but it prevents me from making fine adjustments as it makes grabbing the slider difficult sometimes (as it can be seen around the 18 second mark)

https://www.loom.com/share/3a21d930009648f4b2d80647fc197838

I wonder if there is something I did wrong with configuring the threads/cores of my CPU or if my specific brand/model of graphics card doesn't like playing nice with Mac OS

EDITED to add better videos:
Here's me trying to make a curves adjustment layer in Mac OS. I have to turn off every other adjustment to get good performance

And here it is, same file in the Windows partition where I don't have performance issues

Hi Jorsh, Did you eventually solve the lose USB device issue ? I'm having the same issue as you and my hardware is almost the same as you but instead I'm using an 13900KF.

What I can find out right now is that it seems to have something to do with com.apple.bluetoothd, when every this service crash the USB will be lost, and from what i see in IORegistryExplorer is that the Bluetooth get recognized and disconnected and loops on forever. but the weird thing is that audio still works as usually, only the USB ports is lost.

I'm not sure if it's the USB lost causing it to crash or it's the crash causing the USB to lost though.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Jorsh, Did you eventually solve the lose USB device issue ? I'm having the same issue as you and my hardware is almost the same as you but instead I'm using an 13900KF.

What I can find out right now is that it seems to have something to do with com.apple.bluetoothd, when every this service crash the USB will be lost, and from what i see in IORegistryExplorer is that the Bluetooth get recognized and disconnected and loops on forever. but the weird thing is that audio still works as usually, only the USB ports is lost.

I'm not sure if it's the USB lost causing it to crash or it's the crash causing the USB to lost though.

Thanks.
I am still facing USB issues. At the moment I'm also chasing an issue where the screen sometimes won't come back from sleep either at all where I have to hard reset, or wait about 10 minutes for a graphical glitch to appear then finally be able to log back in.

I was waiting to gather more info on the USB thing before coming back with all my details, but I guess I'll share now because I am at my wit's end and about to just give up on Hackintosh altogether.

- If I enable all USB ports according to the guide, none of my USB 2.0 ports work except for HS08

- If I limit my USB ports to 15 everything works as expected within that limit.

- I don't know if my USBs not working when they should is related, but it's an anomaly that I noticed.

- When I first noticed the USB disconnecting issue, I had all my USB 2.0 devices (mouse, keyboard, webcam, Wacom tablet) plugged to the HS08/SS06 port through a USB hub from BestBuy (portable hub with no external power). If I were to unplug that hub, the system would immediately reboot. That hub was working until the point when I upgraded computers. Not ruling out that it could have as well coincidentally died at the same time. Outside of the BestBuy hub, replugging USB devices would just cut off power to the RGB lights, if they had any, and the device would still not work until reboot.

-Up until today, this only happened to my USB 2 devices: all that I mentioned above plus my Razer Tartarus Gamepad. Today, about 2 minutes after losing all USB 2.0 devices my two external USB 3 hard drives plugged to the SS04 and SS03 also disconnected.

- Another random issue that might be related to the USB issue, since my audio is recognized as USB audio. Is that sometimes, at random, but more often when I'd get an iMessage notification, if I was playing audio at the same time, the audio would repeat the last second 3-4 times. So if for example, I was watching a youtube video, the audio would go: hey guys, welcome to the show-the show-the show. Precisely for the duration of the iMessage notification. I "fixed" this by outputting the audio through the monitor. But that is not a real fix.

My one and only theory, is that since @CaseySJ mentioned in the guide that some ports don't work due to a BIOS problem (HS 01, HS03, HS05) and we are forced to use BIOS F20 or F21. That this is a new BIOS USB compatibility issue, that only people like us with Raptor Lake are being affected by.

The last thing I tried, is I disabled SSDT-EC-USBX.aml. I don't know what that was, but since it was USB related I gave it a shot. I didn't get any USB issues for a few days, then they all came back today. That's when I logged back in and saw your @ me.

Are you using an Apple Bluetooth card or the built-in Intel card?

The only solution I can think of at this moment is to get another motherboard.

I am still facing USB issues. At the moment I'm also chasing an issue where the screen sometimes won't come back from sleep either at all where I have to hard reset, or wait about 10 minutes for a graphical glitch to appear then finally be able to log back in.

I was waiting to gather more info on the USB thing before coming back with all my details, but I guess I'll share now because I am at my wit's end and about to just give up on Hackintosh altogether.

- If I enable all USB ports according to the guide, none of my USB 2.0 ports work except for HS08

- If I limit my USB ports to 15 everything works as expected within that limit.

- I don't know if my USBs not working when they should is related, but it's an anomaly that I noticed.

- When I first noticed the USB disconnecting issue, I had all my USB 2.0 devices (mouse, keyboard, webcam, Wacom tablet) plugged to the HS08/SS06 port through a USB hub from BestBuy (portable hub with no external power). If I were to unplug that hub, the system would immediately reboot. That hub was working until the point when I upgraded computers. Not ruling out that it could have as well coincidentally died at the same time. Outside of the BestBuy hub, replugging USB devices would just cut off power to the RGB lights, if they had any, and the device would still not work until reboot.

-Up until today, this only happened to my USB 2 devices: all that I mentioned above plus my Razer Tartarus Gamepad. Today, about 2 minutes after losing all USB 2.0 devices my two external USB 3 hard drives plugged to the SS04 and SS03 also disconnected.

- Another random issue that might be related to the USB issue, since my audio is recognized as USB audio. Is that sometimes, at random, but more often when I'd get an iMessage notification, if I was playing audio at the same time, the audio would repeat the last second 3-4 times. So if for example, I was watching a youtube video, the audio would go: hey guys, welcome to the show-the show-the show. Precisely for the duration of the iMessage notification. I "fixed" this by outputting the audio through the monitor. But that is not a real fix.

My one and only theory, is that since @CaseySJ mentioned in the guide that some ports don't work due to a BIOS problem (HS 01, HS03, HS05) and we are forced to use BIOS F20 or F21. That this is a new BIOS USB compatibility issue, that only people like us with Raptor Lake are being affected by.

The last thing I tried, is I disabled SSDT-EC-USBX.aml. I don't know what that was, but since it was USB related I gave it a shot. I didn't get any USB issues for a few days, then they all came back today. That's when I logged back in and saw your @ me.

Are you using an Apple Bluetooth card or the built-in Intel card?

The only solution I can think of at this moment is to get another motherboard.
After two days of testing, It seems that I can confirm my USB issue is related to the BT issue that I mentioned, and the BT issue seems to be caused by either Bartender App or iStat App. It seems that the only device that gets disconnected on my device is the BT, and it triggers the Bluetooth to restart, and one of the two apps caused the Bluetooth to not able to successfully restart and make the USB unusable. Hopes it can help you.

P.S. All my USB devices are plugged in directly, and the devices I have is quite less, wired keyboard, Razer mouse, Logitech Streamcam, Yeti microphone.

@CaseySJ Can you please point me on some direction to how to dual boot windows with Ventura, What I've learned from the thread is that if OpenCore cannot boot windows I should try disabling AppleVTD, so that's what I did and it can successfully boot into windows, but without AppleVTD on Ventura MacOS just restarts when it reaches login screen or soon after login, not sure if it's because I didn't unplug the ethernet cable, So if AppleVTD is needed on Ventura in order to have ethernet working is there any suggestion I can try to get Windows booted through OpenCore ? Thanks a lot.

@CaseySJ Can you please point me on some direction to how to dual boot windows with Ventura, What I've learned from the thread is that if OpenCore cannot boot windows I should try disabling AppleVTD, so that's what I did and it can successfully boot into windows, but without AppleVTD on Ventura MacOS just restarts when it reaches login screen or soon after login, not sure if it's because I didn't unplug the ethernet cable, So if AppleVTD is needed on Ventura in order to have ethernet working is there any suggestion I can try to get Windows booted through OpenCore ? Thanks a lot.
I seem to recall a post in which someone described a solution to this problem. I have a number of Hackintoshes, both Intel- and AMD-based, and have never faced this problem. AppleVTD is enabled on all of my Intel systems, and all of them have Windows 11, which boots through OpenCore every time.

On all my systems, Windows 11 resides in its own separate physical SSD and not on a partitioned SSD that is shared with macOS. Additionally, all my Windows SSDs have an EFI partition containing the Windows boot loader.

Each time I install Windows, I first format the Windows SSD in macOS (yes, using Disk Utility) using:
  • Name: Windows (or anything)
  • Format: FAT32
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
When I run the Windows installer, I reformat the FAT32 disk to NTFS. I also disconnect the macOS SSD during Windows installation. When the Windows installer detects an EFI partition, it creates an EFI folder there along with the needed boot loader files.

After two days of testing, It seems that I can confirm my USB issue is related to the BT issue that I mentioned, and the BT issue seems to be caused by either Bartender App or iStat App.

Great to hear. I don't have Bartender installed on this new installation. I do have iStats. I didn't know if hitting a global pause is enough so I completely uninstalled it. I will report back if I encounter the USB issue again. But as we know, it is random and a week could go by without any issue.

@CaseySJ: Thanks for the quick reply, What I can see the only difference that we have is that I'm on Windows 10 instead of Windows 11, let me try to do a clean install of windows and report back thanks.

@jorsh: Yeah, It I encounter again, I'll report back as well, but if it's not a software issue I think we'll have to either wait for a BIOS update or switch MB.

Does anyone else have really poor Bluetooth range when swapping out the Intel Wifi/Bluetooth card for the Broadcom BCM94360NG? I've made the swap myself, but connecting devices is really bad, I have to have any device right next to the PC case.. I've connected the antenna cables (yes, both) to the card and connected the antenna that came with the motherboard.

1) I noticed that the Broadcom card has 'Main' and 'Aux' labeled... does it matter which cable gets plugged into which slot, or are both the same?
2) Is the large white antenna that came with the motherboard to connect to the IO ports on the exterior supposed to work 100%, or do I need new antennas?

Thanks!

**Update**
Putting back in the Intel Wifi/BT card that came with the motherboard and booting into windows immediately fixed the bluetooth issues I was having. Now just need to figure out how to make them work in OS X... any help would be greatly appreciated!

**Update #2***

I was using the wrong USB Port map trying to get the Intel Bluetooth to work properly. Thought the generic 15 port one would cover Intel Bluetooth (clearly not, spent hours trying to figure it out).

That said:

If somebody need, I maked USB map for case Phanteks P500A that have a two 3.0 port plus one USB type C port on front panel. with CaseySJ's USB Map one front 3.0 port doesn't worked and USB-C maybe, but not sure. cuz' when I started making my usbmap I'd fount that my USB 3.0 stick not a 3.0 now... probably 3.0 pins was broked and using adapter type-c to type-A my stick is not initialized in OS.
In my Map all ports can be 3.0 and 2.0 excluding two red ports 10gbps.
15 ports, ITE device(RGB) and Intel wi-fi OFF, quirk for port limit OFF.

Is there a version of this USB Port Map with Intel Wifi/Bluetooth on? Would love to enable my second USB port on the front panel of my case (Fractal Meshify 2 Compact).

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Is there a version of this USB Port Map with Intel Wifi/Bluetooth on? Would love to enable my second USB port on the front panel of my case (Fractal Meshify 2 Compact).

Thanks everyone!
Yes, check Step 9 of the guide. "Important Final Adjustments"

The config.plist uses a USB port map that defines exactly 15 ports and disables XhciPortLimit kernel quirk. This maximizes compatibility across multiple versions of macOS. However, with Monterey 12.0.1 and newer we can enable all USB ports as follows:
  • Check off ACPI --> SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G.aml
  • Check on Kernel --> XhciPortLimit
Then select only one of the following:
  • Check on ACPI --> SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-ALL-PORTS.aml
    • This enables all USB ports except HS14
  • Check on ACPI --> SSDT-UIAC-Z690-AERO-G-ALL-PORTS-HS14.aml
    • This enables all USB ports including HS14
USB port HS14 is used by on-board Intel AX201 WiFi/BT module to provide Bluetooth capability. If the AX201 module is replaced by Broadcom's BCM94360NG module, then USB port HS14 needs to be enabled.

These settings are shown in the screenshots below. To revert back to 15 ports, simply reverse these steps.
PLIST ACPI ADD V3.png

Anyone experiencing sleep/wake cycle that works the first time but then when going to sleep on the 2nd attempt it will hang? On F22 BIOS, Ventura 13.2.1.

Downgraded to F8 and worked. Thanks to @Stork for the recommendation.

Last edited:
Back