Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Added to Troubleshooting section in Post 1:

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 1.09.21 PM.png

Thanks, I can see. So you don't need to restart the system to have it detected after a cold boot?

What PCI Slot are you using for the Maple Ridge?

I don't shut down my PC, so I don't typically cold boot.

Try powering on the Apollo Twin before you power on your PC, seemed to work for me after testing it for you.

It's installed in the PCIEX4_2 slot.

I am trying to recall which BIOS settings were the issue. My problem was in Chrome watching news or streaming. Try setting your BIOS to optimized defaults and try to recreate the conditions. If the problem is gone, change your BIOS setting to the way you had them but one by one to see what the offending values are causing the issue.
Sat on this issue for a while, but it pretty reliably happens now with streaming video especially in Hulu. I haven't messed with the BIOS settings since initial install but I was thinking if we can compare settings maybe I can figure out the culprit. Windows Server crashing and logging me out every time I stream video is no fun. What would you need from me to do the comparison - just a list of every BIOS setting I have?

Sat on this issue for a while, but it pretty reliably happens now with streaming video especially in Hulu. I haven't messed with the BIOS settings since initial install but I was thinking if we can compare settings maybe I can figure out the culprit. Windows Server crashing and logging me out every time I stream video is no fun. What would you need from me to do the comparison - just a list of every BIOS setting I have?
When I get home I will send you the BIOS settings that cause the problem. I updated my BIOS this week and that problem appeared again. I found the three settings that cause the problem, disabled them and streaming issued disappeared. I don’t recall the exact names of the settings. Will get back to you tonight.

When I get home I will send you the BIOS settings that cause the problem. I updated my BIOS this week and that problem appeared again. I found the three settings that cause the problem, disabled them and streaming issued disappeared. I don’t recall the exact names of the settings. Will get back to you tonight.
That's awesome news! Thanks again for your help!

That's awesome news! Thanks again for your help!
The Problem seems to occur when you enable above 4GB encoding and above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. This appears to be true on both the Z690 and Z790 Aero motherboards. I have had the problem you describe on both boards and disabling 4GB MMIMO BIOS solves the problem. My Z690 has an i7-12700KF and a Radeon RX 5700XT and the Z790 has an i7-13700KF and a Radeon RX 6900XT.

I also have sleep issues if 4GB MIMO BIOS is enabled. After the second or third sleep cycle, the computer wakes up but the displays do not and my usb FocusRite sound interface does not wake up.

Attachments

• AERO BIOS SETTINGS..jpg
    AERO BIOS SETTINGS..jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
The Problem seems to occur when you enable above 4GB encoding and above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. This appears to be true on both the Z690 and Z790 Aero motherboards. I have had the problem you describe on both boards and disabling 4GB MMIMO BIOS solves the problem. My Z690 has an i7-12700KF and a Radeon RX 5700XT and the Z790 has an i7-13700KF and a Radeon RX 6900XT.

I also have sleep issues if 4GB MIMO BIOS is enabled. After the second or third sleep cycle, the computer wakes up but the displays do not and my usb FocusRite sound interface does not wake up.

Okay so I'm still on BIOS v F8, did not go with F20 or F21 due to various reports of issues, and F8 shows 4G Encoding setting but not 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. See attached photo. Should I proceed to upgrade my BIOS to F22 to fix the issue, or maybe the setting is elsewhere in the menu / named differently?

Having sleep issues as well on my machine so it sounds like this setting is prolly the culprit

Updated to F22, followed your settings. So far I have not had the issue come up with WindowServer crashing, fingers crossed we're g2g now. Thanks a ton for your help!

Fix - Sleep/Wake on BIOS F22
Although sleep/wake worked after reverting back to BIOS F8, version F22 seems to support my RAM better (4x8GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 4400); especially when overclocking.

I decided to try jumping back to BIOS F22 and see if it would fail again after setting all the BIOS options in order to boot; and it did. Before doing so, I thought I had enabled Re-size BAR support since I'm running a 6900 XT and my config is set for Re-size BAR support, but I was not able to boot. That is because I forgot that in version F8, Re-size BAR Support is visible but hidden in F22 until you set Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. After testing sleep/wake and it failing once again after jumping to F22, i went back into BIOS and looked at the description text when selecting Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment. That setting seems to have a dependency on Aperture Size in that according to the description it is enabled automatically when Aperture Size is set to 2048MB. I decided to check what my max value is for Aperture Size and saw that the default value was 256MB. I bumped it up to the max value to 1024MB, saved the changes and booted up.

Increasing Aperture Size from the default of 256MB seems to have done the trick and I'm no longer experience the sleep/wake issue that I was having earlier on BIOS F22 and that made a difference.

I've attached some screenshots of the BIOS settings for reference.

BIOS Version F22
View attachment 563904

Aperture Size default 256MB
View attachment 563905

View attachment 563907

View attachment 563908

View attachment 563909

Change Aperture Size to max value.
View attachment 563910

You can see the total number of Sleep/Wakes (3) that I did sequentially:
View attachment 563911
Seems like Aperture size only exists if CPU have internal graphics and internal graphics is enabled, but aren't we suppose to disable internal graphic when using the iMac pro or Mac Pro profile ?

Hi!
I have a little problem.I'm using OC 0.8.3; BIOS F6 and Monterey last version.
I discovered that my NVMe disk is very slow. Under Big Sur Blackmagic disk speed test told me a speed of about 3000 MB/s. now speed fall down to about 60MB/s...
Could anyone help me?

Back