Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Thunderbolt 3 on Apple Thunderbolt 27" display working...

Build:
  • Motherboard:Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4
  • CPU:Intel i7-12700KGPU:Gigabyte RX 6600 XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Neo – 64GB (2x32)
  • Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 AIC V2.0
  • Optional: Fenvi BCM94360NG

View attachment 552666
@Jeson @NCMacGuy - Are either of you running the F20 BIOS that enables support for the 13000K processors? Does the Apple TBD still work after upgrading to that BIOS? I am wondering since I bought a Z790 Aero G motherboard. If the BIOS updates to enable 13000K support cause issues for flashed Titan Ridge cards, that means it's unlikely to work well w/ a Z790 Aero G.

Overcoming I225 Ethernet Port Problems with Ventura.

I installed Ventura public beta on my Z690 Aero G following suggestions in earlier posts here. I made sure all the kexts were updated to the latest versions including Lilu 1.6.2, and using OC 0.8.3.

Here's a link to the Dortania files for OC 0.8.3 and LiLu 1.6.2 if needed.

I immediately had issues with Ventura involving networking:

1) WiFi was running, but I couldn't access my local network or the Internet. I found the current release version of Little Snitch is not compatible with Ventura. I removed Little Snitch and WiFi began working properly.

2) The I225 Ethernet port was not functioning. I found github and InsanelyMac postings which offered suggestions on restoring the I225 Ethernet in Ventura.

The solution was to download two files - SSDT-I225V.aml and AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext and install them in the appropriate EFI file folders. Both are provided in the attached Archive.zip file.

Then make the following changes with OpenCore Configurator:

1) Add SSDT-I225.aml to ACPI
View attachment 551120
2) Add the AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext and set the MinKernel value to 22.0.0 to be used for Ventura only.
View attachment 551121
3) Disable the Ethernet Devices entry in DeviceProperties, if it exists, using # in front of the Devices entry.
View attachment 551123
4) Add e1000=0 to NVRAM boot-args.
View attachment 551124
I have both Monterey 12.5 and Ventura 13.0 installed in the same APFS Container on my SSD, so I boot to either macOS using the same EFI. Both seem to work with this one EFI folder.

I hope this helps others who might have the same issues.

Edit: A USB-C dongle with an Ethernet port will also overcome the Ventura Ethernet issue, but isn't as "clean" as the software solution provided above.
Thank you so much for posting this! Ethernet was my only issue upgrading from Monterey to Ventura and I could not for the life of me figure out what broke it. Just to throw in my two cents (based on my experience when upgrading), I had to change the bootarg to kd.e100=0, I also had to make sure the NVRAM entry was present or I would get a random kernel panic ~5 minutes after booting.

@Jeson @NCMacGuy - Are either of you running the F20 BIOS that enables support for the 13000K processors? Does the Apple TBD still work after upgrading to that BIOS? I am wondering since I bought a Z790 Aero G motherboard. If the BIOS updates to enable 13000K support cause issues for flashed Titan Ridge cards, that means it's unlikely to work well w/ a Z790 Aero G.

@nottooshabby

Based on the earlier report of problems with the F20 BIOS, and not planning on using Intel 13th gen on this MB, I don't plan to install the F20 BIOS. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

@nottooshabby

Based on the earlier report of problems with the F20 BIOS, and not planning on using Intel 13th gen on this MB, I don't plan to install the F20 BIOS. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."
I've seen some weird problems using the USB-C Thunderbolt ports on the Z690 Pro Art with the 13900K, just the machine restarts out of nowhere.

I'm even doing a 10TB Windows Backup because on Mac, it happened 3x yesterday in a matter of 10 to 20 minutes usage. The USB and USB-C TB ports, I think need major tweaking.

I already think about not using any external USB or USB-c drives with the Z690 and the 13900K processor.

I found a problem also in the central slot, when I put an 8x card and I have a 5700rx in the first slot it just doesn't work.
I've called Asus and no one can answer.

There is a suspicion that this is related to BIOS 2103, which is very recent for 13900K and may still need a lot of adjustments.. let's see...

@CaseySJ Could you please give me the screenshot of PCI in "About this machine" about the Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 4? My machine displays Intel JHL8540 Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI: No???

Attachments

• PCI.png
    PCI.png
    553.8 KB · Views: 52
@nottooshabby

Ok. I may need to pause and/or pivot to Z690/12900K system w/ older BIOS unless someone can confirm it works. I probably shouldn't go spend $600 on a processor and then have to buy a new monitor, too.

@CaseySJ Could you please give me the screenshot of PCI in "About this machine" about the Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 4? My machine displays Intel JHL8540 Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI: No???
That is actually correct. We can enable the NHI driver by spoofing the device ID of NHI0 to Titan Ridge, but we've found that this interferes with hot plug. Even without the spoof, hot plug is iffy, but it's a little less iffy without the spoof.

That's how it shows up for me.
Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 7.46.06 PM.png

Last edited:
Alas, I have a philosophical objection towards a CPU design that is becoming increasingly E-core dominant. Consider the following hypothetical discussion that might have taken place at Intel and Apple:

Intel:
  • How can we make our processors appear more powerful and win every head-to-head against the competition?
  • We don't have the physical space for more P-cores...
  • We don't have the thermal headroom for more P-cores...
  • Ouch, whatever can we do?
  • Oh I know! Let's just double the number of E-cores!
  • Now we can claim twice as many cores as our competition!
  • And we can get truly awesome multi-core benchmarks!
Apple:
  • How can we make our processors appear more powerful and continue to lead the industry?
  • Our P-cores are physically smaller so we still have space for more P-cores.
  • Our thermal headroom has tons and tons of capacity left. Unlike our megawatt competitors, we sip power.
  • Whatever can we do?
  • Oh I know! Let's double the number of P-cores! Because we can!
  • And halve the number of E-cores -- because who needs so many E-cores!
  • Now we are twice as powerful with half as many cores!
  • And we are twice as power-efficient with twice as many P-cores!
Fair points. But part of what you’re getting in exchange are the beasts that are Raptor Lake’s P.

I agree with you in terms of the E-core to P-core ratio skewing in the favor of E-cores.

But my 13900K boosts to 6 GHz easily. At a lower voltage than I needed to boost my 12700K to 5.3 GHz with a 5.1 GHz all core clock. In fact, I had to lower the 12700K all core boost to 5 GHz to shave off a few mili volts and several watts of power consumption.

Raptor Lake has a 5.5 GHz all core frequency out of the box. And boosting to 6.0 GHz on some of the cores under lightly threaded tasks is impressive. I am genuinely impressed with how Intel has tuned the Intel 7 process to arrive at the v/f curve with Raptor Lake. And that is part of the cost.

Also, the 13700K is essentially the 12900K at a lower price point.

Fair points. But part of what you’re getting in exchange are the beasts that are Raptor Lake’s P.

I agree with you in terms of the E-core to P-core ratio skewing in the favor of E-cores.

But my 13900K boosts to 6 GHz easily. At a lower voltage than I needed to boost my 12700K to 5.3 GHz with a 5.1 GHz all core clock. In fact, I had to lower the 12700K all core boost to 5 GHz to shave off a few mili volts and several watts of power consumption.

Raptor Lake has a 5.5 GHz all core frequency out of the box. And boosting to 6.0 GHz on some of the cores under lightly threaded tasks is impressive. I am genuinely impressed with how Intel has tuned the Intel 7 process to arrive at the v/f curve with Raptor Lake. And that is part of the cost.

Also, the 13700K is essentially the 12900K at a lower price point.
There is a lot of good engineering in these new chips. But, if Intel could increase the P-core ratio, wouldn’t they favor doing so?

In Meteor Lake, the ratio tilts weirdly to only 6 P-cores and 16 E-cores. That’s a ratio of 1 to 2.7 in favor of E-cores. Admittedly, the IPC is expected to increase significantly so there may still be a net gain, but doesn’t it give the impression that P-cores are on their way out? As Intel improves and improves their smaller and more energy-efficient E-cores, eventually there will not be any reason for P-cores.

And that might make sense. It seems there’s no headroom left for scaling P-cores.

Back