Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z690 Aero G + i5-12600K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Anyone tried Win+macOS+Ubuntu?
Sure -- I have this triple boot on at least 2 of my systems. Just make sure to keep an OpenCore emergency boot flash disk because every time an Ubuntu upgrade is installed (i.e. 22.04 to 22.10) it will overwrite the EFI/BOOT folder.

Sure -- I have this triple boot on at least 2 of my systems. Just make sure to keep an OpenCore emergency boot flash disk because every time an Ubuntu upgrade is installed (i.e. 22.04 to 22.10) it will overwrite the EFI/BOOT folder.
Thanks, @CaseySJ I installed the ubuntu on a new drive today. Once I finished the installation and configured OpenLinuxBoot, there is a new Opencore boot entry option (The volume name) showed up, but when I choose that one, showing an error:

Could not read \EFI\: Invalid Parameter
Error: could not find boot options: Invalid Pe
start_image() returned Invalid Parameter
DC: Boot failed - Invalid Parameter
CB: StartImage failed - Invalid Parameter

Then I deleted the OpenLinuxBoot and ex4 driver, and switch to the method B:
Misc -> BlessOverride -> \EFI\arch\grubx64.efi

Now, it is working. I am using the latest version OC (0.8.6), updated with HackinDROM.
I checked the EFI folder, and ubuntu EFI is also in the same folder as OC.

Two questions:
1. OpenLinuxBoot is configured according to Dortania's guide, but it is not working, do you know of any potential problems that could lead to this?

2. Do you know how to change the boot entry name to Ubuntu instead of using the volume name?

The Z790 Aero G is out. Seems like a good choice. Do you think the odds are pretty good that it could be made to work?

The Z790 Aero G is out. Seems like a good choice. Do you think the odds are pretty good that it could be made to work?

Go buy one and let us know

Alas, I have a philosophical objection towards a CPU design that is becoming increasingly E-core dominant. Consider the following hypothetical discussion that might have taken place at Intel and Apple:

Intel:
  • How can we make our processors appear more powerful and win every head-to-head against the competition?
  • We don't have the physical space for more P-cores...
  • We don't have the thermal headroom for more P-cores...
  • Ouch, whatever can we do?
  • Oh I know! Let's just double the number of E-cores!
  • Now we can claim twice as many cores as our competition!
  • And we can get truly awesome multi-core benchmarks!
Apple:
  • How can we make our processors appear more powerful and continue to lead the industry?
  • Our P-cores are physically smaller so we still have space for more P-cores.
  • Our thermal headroom has tons and tons of capacity left. Unlike our megawatt competitors, we sip power.
  • Whatever can we do?
  • Oh I know! Let's double the number of P-cores! Because we can!
  • And halve the number of E-cores -- because who needs so many E-cores!
  • Now we are twice as powerful with half as many cores!
  • And we are twice as power-efficient with twice as many P-cores!
As I see it, AMD is now the V8 muscle, to draw an analogy to automotive, and Apple and Intel are into hybrids.

Yes, chances are very good it will work.

Back