Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi there.

Sorry to ask, but why have you posted a screengrab showing 5x errors in the config.plist, when you state ocvalidate returned zero errors?

Next up, it is very unlikely that properly updating OpenCore from one version to another would cause an issue with USB speeds because once the bootloader has done its work, operation of the system is handed over to macOS and it is no longer used.

So...

Did you have a USB configuration kext loaded?

Did you change system-definition at any point - perhaps to enable the upgrade to a newer version of macOS at some point?

A few people have reported USB speed issues with Sonoma. Was that on your radar?

:)
I was planning to upgrade to Monterey, but wanted to get my OC more unto date. Currently running Catalina.

I have never created a custom USB configuration for my MB. I just used the one that I started with when I built the Hack. Using USBinjectall.kext.

I have never created a custom USB configuration for my MB. I just used the one that I started with when I built the Hack. Using USBinjectall.kext.

Ah. So you are using one of the SSDTs in @CaseySJ 's zipped EFI folders from post #1 ?

Ah. So you are using one of the SSDTs in @CaseySJ 's zipped EFI folders from post #1 ?

Yes that is correct. I was using the one that keeps H14 for intel wifi bluetooth. All was well.

What is odd though, if i go back to my backup EFI I built the system with, it is still the same. I have used hacktools to look at the USB configuration. Any USB3 drives are connected as HS, not SS. It seems any SS port configuration is not being enabled when the right USB devices are connected. This is for any EFI i try, not just the new one i upgraded. Could this be a BIOS issue somehow?

Could this be a BIOS issue somehow?

It could be, but if all was working before then that is unlikely.

If nothing else has changed but the OpenCore version then you can test the system by disabling the original USB SSDT (temporarily) and instead activate the XhciPortLimit quirk, reboot and see if your ports, though now not properly configured, show SS** connections.

(As always make a backup USB boot stick in case things go awry).

It could be, but if all was working before then that is unlikely.

If nothing else has changed but the OpenCore version then you can test the system by disabling the original USB SSDT (temporarily) and instead activate the XhciPortLimit quirk, reboot and see if your ports, though now not properly configured, show SS** connections.

(As always make a backup USB boot stick in case things go awry).

Okay. I tried that and no change. I did find however that my thumb drive USB3 connects to the SS06 port, and it says 5GBs speed, but still only writes at 36Mbs. Something else seems to be going on. It was the only thing connect apart from the mouse and keyboard, of course. It feels like a speed restriction of some sort. Here is a screen shot from Hackintool.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-07 at 12.48.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-07 at 12.48.27 PM.png
    400.8 KB · Views: 19
Okay. I tried that and no change. I did find however that my thumb drive USB3 connects to the SS06 port, and it says 5GBs speed, but still only writes at 36Mbs. Something else seems to be going on. It was the only thing connect apart from the mouse and keyboard, of course. It feels like a speed restriction of some sort. Here is a screen shot from Hackintool.
I also have a USB-C external NVMe drive I use for video editing. This is connected on HS13 USB-C/sw, but it should be enabling SSP2 USB-C/sw. SO this is not recognizing the device correctly.

I also have a USB-C external NVMe drive I use for video editing. This is connected on HS13 USB-C/sw, but it should be enabling SSP2 USB-C/sw. SO this is not recognizing the device correctly.

Okay great. :thumbup:

I don't have your motherboard to test, but we can see clearly from the Hackintool screen that you have two Thunderbolt ports (XHC3) as well as the full compliment of USB2 and USB3 ports. Fine.

So, I've been looking through the SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V3.aml you were probably using before and can see certain ports have been left out to keep within the 15x port limit. This is great. In this file there is no HS13 configured. Now, looking at the unlimited ports we see in the latest Hackintool screen, you should realise that no HS port above HS10 can have a USB3 equivalent. So HS11, HS12, HS13 and HS14 can not be USB3 ports. The Z490 chipset just doesn't have them.

We can see you have identified the 4x USB3 back-panel Hub as SS07/HS07 so remember there is also a 4x-port USB2 hub that is internal. Perhaps it was a port that has been discarded to keep within the limit?

Back to your main problem of USB3 ports not working properly. With the XhciPortLimit quirk active, I would now test each port with both a USB2 memory stick and a USB3 memory stick, just as if you were going to create a new configuration of your own, and see which ports you can identify for sure and their speeds.

Last edited:
Recent posts describing our attempt to enable third-party Broadcom Wi-Fi 6 cards have been moved to a dedicated thread in Post Installation -> Network located here:

Hello,

I need to find page where starts tutorial with Monterey 12.7, here with the same hardware:)

Last edited:
here with the same hardware
Screen Shot 3.jpg

CaseySJ's Comet Lake-S in BeQuiet! Pure Base 500DX:
Gigabyte Z490 Vision-D - i5-10400 - UHD 630 - AMD RX 580
Doesn't look like it's the same hardware. A 3080 Ti will not work with macOS.
11th gen is not 10th gen. The only similarity is that you have an Asus motherboard.

Back