Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Is it safe to upgrade Vision D to F6 BIOS yet? Gigabyte are asking me to do so as part of my hang at the Splash Screen fault diagnosis process.
Yes, only be careful that CFG Lock is by default enabled, remember to disabled it inside the bios

I just tested it. It works great.

Amazing!! You just solved a 2-year old problem! Please confirm if this is what you did:
View attachment 491877
Regarding SSDTs, we don't need the "source" files because we can open the ".aml" files and save them in ".dsl" format. They are the same. In other words:
  • If you open an .aml file in MaciASL, it is automatically disassembled into "source" form.
  • The disassembled file can be saved as-is. In this case the file extension is .dsl.
My own tests reveal the following behavior:
  • I have both AMD RX 580 and iGPU enabled so this might have an effect. My tests are also on Big Sur Public Beta #5.
  • Setting Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and device ID to 0x3E9B0000 (in reverse byte order of course) certainly made a positive difference:
    • ACDSee Photo Editor for Mac 6.0 runs without any problem. This is a definite improvement.
    • All webpages in Safari that I've browsed so far have rendered properly.
    • iMovie ran once only (immediately after being downloaded and installed. On every subsequent run it crashes:
      Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 1.23.49 PM.png
This is an improvement nevertheless.

Straightforward update to today's release of Big Sur Public Beta #6:
Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 2.09.55 PM.png

One other thing, I renamed the 'model' to simply 'Intel UHD Graphics 630' (i.e. I stripped away the Desktop series string in parenthesis) as I think this is purely cosmetic. I like this shorter version more.

it might be more than cosmetic but I’m not sure how: if you remove ‘intel’, the igpu stops appearing in Intel Power Gadget, but then DOES appear in iStat Menu... so I’m not sure what to make of that :)

Amazing!! You just solved a 2-year old problem! Please confirm if this is what you did:

Regarding SSDTs, we don't need the "source" files because we can open the ".aml" files and save them in ".dsl" format. They are the same. In other words
  • If you open an .aml file in MaciASL, it is automatically disassembled into "source" form.
  • The disassembled file can be saved as-is. In this case the file extension is .dsl.
I think that would have solved one of my many problems on my first try at the install without a GPU card... but on a really good note, I decided to try a fresh install of MacOS + OC 0.6.2 to see if this might resolve some of the lingering, nagging problems. I am happy to say the a) the install was a breeze (practice makes perfect?) and b) App Store works and everything else looks very well. @CaseySJ once again, thank you for the great tutorial. Now to dig down deeper into the minutia therein. Maybe some functional LED's like on the Z370-G5? (no, I am not a glutton for punishment) :)

Perhaps the problem is with the WiFi/BT card? Were you able to test sleep/wake without that card plugged in?

Regarding sleep:
  • All LEDs on the motherboard turn off.
  • The POST Code LED turns off.
  • If you have RGB memory DIMMs, the RGB lights will stay ON.
  • But nothing else should be illuminated.
@CaseySJ (and @nghesi as well)

I returned that Motherboard and got a new Z490 Vision D. Happy to report that the machine successfully sleep wakes now. Have an _almost_ perfect hackintosh thanks to you @CaseySJ :) I say almost perfect because when the machine sleeps for a "loooooong" time, I get a black screen (kernel panic) on wake up. Something to do with PCI device not found for my AMD Radeon GPU (5700 XT). Trying a couple of things to get that resolved.

While it was probably a defective motherboard, the only thing I might have messed up before is to plug the 2 CPU fans into the CPU_OPT header instead of the CPU_FAN header on the MB. I genuinely don't remember but might save you the headache @nghesi

The modified SSDTs can be retained. As for the Windows problem, it may be best to report it (with all supporting evidence) to Acidanthera.
yep will add teh -v option and see if I can get some useful information

Hi! Im actually ditching my i7-2600K and its time for an upgrade. Im just about to build a new machine for audio purposes (protools 2020 native not HDX). After reading this Golden Build and other user builds I think ill go a similar route as Casey but i9 9900K. How do you guys see this setup?:

- MOBO: GIGABYTE Z490 VISION D
- CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.70 GHz 10 core
- REFR: Corsair Hydro H60 Kit liquid
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 32GB 2x16GB CL16 Black
- DISK: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD NVMe M.2
- POWER: NZXT C750 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
- GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
- CASE: Be Quiet PURE BASE 500DX USB 3.0

Im quite new to hacking so im afraid I'll spend tons of money and not be able to get it working but seems preaty the same as Casey's build...

Thanks.

Back