Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hey,
I updated opencore to latest through Casey's micro guide in this thread and at the same time updated smbios to use iMac20,2 as I have 10900k. The last thing I did was update to 10.15.7 from 10.15.6 as there was some graphics improvements for 5700xt.
Anyway, now I can't turn off bluetooth for some reason.
I tried to reset the bluetooth module and delete com.apple.bluetooth, still can't turn off bluetooth. The option is gone in menu and gryed out in preferences pane.
I can still connect and reconnect to existing and new devices.
Does anyone encounter this? It's small thing but it worked thus far.
I don't think this worth to go back to 19,1 smbios and opencore 6.0, so I might try to live with it.
Thanks for all the help and guides.

I have Fenvi T919 btw.

Attachments

• 1602849846300.png
    1602849846300.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 53
Hi! Im actually ditching my i7-2600K and its time for an upgrade. Im just about to build a new machine for audio purposes (protools 2020 native not HDX). After reading this Golden Build and other user builds I think ill go a similar route as Casey but i9 9900K. How do you guys see this setup?:

- MOBO: GIGABYTE Z490 VISION D
- CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.70 GHz 10 core
- REFR: Corsair Hydro H60 Kit liquid
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 32GB 2x16GB CL16 Black
- DISK: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD NVMe M.2
- POWER: NZXT C750 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
- GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
- CASE: Be Quiet PURE BASE 500DX USB 3.0

Im quite new to hacking so im afraid I'll spend tons of money and not be able to get it working but seems preaty the same as Casey's build...

Thanks.
Those are good choices, but I would recommend the Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD or ADATA SX8200 Pro instead of the Samsung 970 EVO Plus. The Sabrent and ADATA run much cooler, and use a controller that is better supported by macOS. The Sabrent Rocket would be my #1 recommendation.

Additionally, the Corsair Hydro H60 may be too small because it uses a single 120mm radiator and fan. For the i9-10900K I would recommend a minimum of 240mm radiator, preferably 280mm.

Those are good choices, but I would recommend the Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD or ADATA SX8200 Pro instead of the Samsung 970 EVO Plus. The Sabrent and ADATA run much cooler, and use a controller that is better supported by macOS. The Sabrent Rocket would be my #1 recommendation.

Additionally, the Corsair Hydro H60 may be too small because it uses a single 120mm radiator and fan. For the i9-10900K I would recommend a minimum of 240mm radiator, preferably 280mm.
Thanks for the reply, this is gold for me now.
- MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R or a Corsair H115i is going to suite much better.

Last edited:
Hi! Im actually ditching my i7-2600K and its time for an upgrade. Im just about to build a new machine for audio purposes (protools 2020 native not HDX). After reading this Golden Build and other user builds I think ill go a similar route as Casey but i9 9900K. How do you guys see this setup?:

- MOBO: GIGABYTE Z490 VISION D
- CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.70 GHz 10 core
- REFR: Corsair Hydro H60 Kit liquid
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 32GB 2x16GB CL16 Black
- DISK: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD NVMe M.2
- POWER: NZXT C750 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
- GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
- CASE: Be Quiet PURE BASE 500DX USB 3.0

Im quite new to hacking so im afraid I'll spend tons of money and not be able to get it working but seems preaty the same as Casey's build...

Thanks.
970 evo is useless under macOs as it reverts back to non evo speeds to prevent crashing
I would also skip the K cpu and get the standard one (plain 10900), the performance delta is very small while the power consumption is much lower. Huge saving in purchase and operating cost. I actually used the 10900 engineering sample, wich consumes around 100w at full load for around 2200 cinebench r15 on windows. 10900 standard is 170w / 2450 and 10900k is 280w / 2600

Just because a part is faster on paper, does not mean its the best

Last edited:
970 EVO is useless under macOS as it reverts back to non EVO speeds to prevent crashing.
I would also skip the K CPU and get the standard one (plain 10900). The performance delta is very small while the power consumption is much lower. Huge saving in purchase and operating cost. I actually used the 10900 engineering sample, wich consumes around 100w at full load for around 2200 Cinebench r15 on windows. 10900 standard is 170w / 2450 and 10900k is 280w / 2600

Just because a part is faster on paper, does not mean its the best

Great piece of advise. Thanks​

Last edited:

Intel Core i9-10900 2.8 GHz instead of the Intel Core i9-10900k 3.7 GHz? That's a good tip it's 100€ cheaper!!

1 In Italy it's around 200 euros cheaper
2 If you look at the base clock, means you know nothing about how a modern CPU works
3 If you look at the boost clock, you better have a NH D15 or better cooler, which adds around 50 bucks compared to a normal 120mm, or a very top tier liquid system
4 If you don't pay for your electrical bill as you live with your parents, maybe that cost is not an issue
5 If you live in some very cold area of the world, maybe having that much heat can help. Otherwise remember you will also have to add to the cooling of the room you work in
6 You will also have to spend more on the PSU, the 10900K would not even boot into Windows with a 450wSeasonic PSU

The efficiency of the 10900K is terribly bad, and, if you actually need the power for some real workload, you would rather go with HEDT ... it's such a bad chip it makes the 10980XE look good.

Last edited:
Hello @tonben,

There should be an icon next to each antenna port either on the front or back side of the card. Typically Bluetooth antenna is one of the middle two (typically the 2nd from the bottom).

Regarding B550, please have a look at the last page of the B550 build thread. @xtreem.p is having some difficulty getting the UAD Apollo to connect on boot. A hot plug makes it work. Flashing the firmware may be something to try.
@CaseySJ Got It.

Thank you so very much kind Sir.

Tony.

@CaseySJ (and @nghesi as well)

I returned that Motherboard and got a new Z490 Vision D. Happy to report that the machine successfully sleep wakes now. Have an _almost_ perfect hackintosh thanks to you @CaseySJ :) I say almost perfect because when the machine sleeps for a "loooooong" time, I get a black screen (kernel panic) on wake up. Something to do with PCI device not found for my AMD Radeon GPU (5700 XT). Trying a couple of things to get that resolved.

While it was probably a defective motherboard, the only thing I might have messed up before is to plug the 2 CPU fans into the CPU_OPT header instead of the CPU_FAN header on the MB. I genuinely don't remember but might save you the headache @nghesi
Are you using F_USB 1 and F_USB 2 ports on the motherboard? I have had a problem with two Z490 boards. While having the F_USB 2 port in use, the system will not sleep. @CaseySJ is there a fix for this?

1 In Italy it's around 200 euros cheaper
2 If you look at the base clock, means you know nothing about how a modern CPU works
3 If you look at the boost clock, you better have a NH D15 or better cooler, which adds around 50 bucks compared to a normal 120mm, or a very top tier liquid system
4 If you don't pay for your electrical bill as you live with your parents, maybe that cost is not an issue
5 If you live in some very cold area of the world, maybe having that much heat can help. Otherwise remember you will also have to add to the cooling of the room you work in
6 You will also have to spend more on the PSU, the 10900K would not even boot into Windows with a 450wSeasonic PSU

The efficiency of the 10900K is terribly bad, and, if you actually need the power for some real workload, you would rather go with HEDT ... it's such a bad chip it makes the 10980XE look good.
What HEDT do you recommend? I'd love to try AMD Ryzen but I believe hacking those is a nightmare.

What HEDT do you recommend? I'd love to try AMD Ryzen but I believe hacking those is a nightmare.
I do not recommend HEDT at all, they have a veryy bad user experience as they run very hot, low clocks and high latency, bad for audio production. Only good for huge video editing projects when you need huge NVMe raids and make use of quad channel memory. I would get a 10900 with a midrange air cooler (silentiumPC Fortis or Grandis are 140mm cheap in europe atm) . It runs 300mhz lower turbo than the K version, but has almost half the power consumption, so you don't have to bother with high end water coolers.

Back