Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thank you @CaseySJ

Finally, some improvement, from export time of 4:34, it went down to 3:24 when I changed to iMacPro1,1 and WEG checked. I can also see the igpu in GPU History but it doesn't show any activity. I also tried with WEG unchecked but as before, I lost signal from GPU just before login screen appears. Im wondering how it can work without WEG.
It's best to keep WEG enabled. Because a real iMac Pro uses Intel Xeon processors that do not have integrated GPUs (iGPUs), it means a Hackintosh that is configured as "iMacPro1,1" will not make use of the iGPU. All tasks that would normally go to the iGPU will instead be rerouted to the AMD GPU.

It's best to keep WEG enabled. Because a real iMac Pro uses Intel Xeon processors that do not have integrated GPUs (iGPUs), it means a Hackintosh that is configured as "iMacPro1,1" will not make use of the iGPU. All tasks that would normally go to the iGPU will instead be rerouted to the AMD GPU.
Thanks once again @CaseySJ

The funny thing is, I already had a build using iMacPro1,1 then I reinstalled using iMac19,1 because I understood that I need the igpu to make export faster and I thought also that an igpu will be incompatible with iMacPro1,1. So, I’ll start from scratch again with iMacPro1,1.

Still, I’m wondering what is causing the GPU to lose signal just before the login screen appears when WEG is unchecked while @Diorama didn’t have this problem.

By the way, I also played around with the WEG version. I tired 1.39 but export time is exactly the same. Im also trying to make my config as similar to the one used by @Diorama when he was able to make it work with WEG unchecked because that seems to have given the biggest boost in export times. I also tried using the intel config like he did but like in one of your experiments, Safari doesn’t work with intel config.

Anyway, I will play around some more and hopefully get better results. Meanwhile, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

An external (relocatable) antenna can improve the Fenvi's speed. For particularly large transfers, a wired Ethernet connection is preferable.
This combination works very well but as I stated, it seems that the Z490D may need some tweaking to get WiFi speeds up to normal. My iPhone gets Wifi speeds up to the max that we pay. If Bluetooth is a problem (loss of connection, jittery mouse movements, etc...) then these two items work well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KBBFV4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BQ976CR/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks once again @CaseySJ

The funny thing is, I already had a build using iMacPro1,1 then I reinstalled using iMac19,1 because I understood that I need the igpu to make export faster and I thought also that an igpu will be incompatible with iMacPro1,1. So, I’ll start from scratch again with iMacPro1,1.

Still, I’m wondering what is causing the GPU to lose signal just before the login screen appears when WEG is unchecked while @Diorama didn’t have this problem.

By the way, I also played around with the WEG version. I tired 1.39 but export time is exactly the same. Im also trying to make my config as similar to the one used by @Diorama when he was able to make it work with WEG unchecked because that seems to have given the biggest boost in export times. I also tried using the intel config like he did but like in one of your experiments, Safari doesn’t work with intel config.

Anyway, I will play around some more and hopefully get better results. Meanwhile, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
If it's any consolation, I too was unable to reproduce the behavior cited by @Diorama, but I have an AMD RX 580 instead of Radeon VII. At this point it seems the performance differences between your system (with Vega) and his system (with Radeon VII) are due predominantly to the inherent performance differences between the cards.

As long as export/rendering times are reasonable compared to the closest real Mac, then that should serve as the arbiter of success.

If it's any consolation, I too was unable to reproduce the behavior cited by @Diorama, but I have an AMD RX 580 instead of Radeon VII. At this point it seems the performance differences between your system (with Vega) and his system (with Radeon VII) are due predominantly to the inherent performance differences between the cards.

As long as export/rendering times are reasonable compared to the closest real Mac, then that should serve as the arbiter of success.
Indeed! Thank you so much for your feedback.

I finally was able to make it work with WEG unchecked. As I suspected, the boot was ok only that I was losing signal from the GPU. When I switched to HDMI instead of DP, I didn’t lose the signal anymore. But unfortunately, leaving WEG unchecked doesn’t work with DaVinci Resolve Studio ( @Diorama was testing with FCPX).

I actually switched from FCPX to DaVinci Resolve Studio only 6 months ago. I was using an eGPU with a mac mini but since that setup will only use 8 lanes instead of the full 16 when the gpu is connected directly to the system, I decided to try it with a Hackintosh. Stabilization is so much faster now. I will compare export times with my imac 2019 which has a RX580 and see which is faster.

Thanks again!

Please try the modified SSDTs.
@CaseySJ Thanks for teh modified SSDTs but unfortunately it did not work. Same issue; windows 10 logo spins around for 2-3s, freezes and system resets.
Should I revert back to the original SSDTs in the 0.6.2 OC package or can I keep the modified ones if they don't cause any harm?

Hi @CaseySJ,

First off, thanks a lot for such a fantastic guide. This has been very helpful.

This is a little weird time to buy a GPU. The AMD is releasing Big Navi on 28th and performance looks promising. So I thought I'd wait for it now. However, my original plan was to get Nvidia 3080 for Windows and use iGPU for Mac, and resort to second dGPU, RX 580 if I couldn't able to make iGPU work on macOS.

Luckily I've been able to fix iGPU, on i9-10900K. And thought I'd share my findings here to make this Golden Build even more golden.

As suggested by many posts here in this thread, in current state, just using the Intel-config-plist from post #1, the iGPU processes simply crash when opening anything that use hardware acceleration, like Safari. Heck, even a simple text editor, Sublime 3 refuses to start and crashes. A simple test I've been using is to go to chrome://gpu URL in Google Chrome. It should show all GPU stats. Prior to fixing the iGPU, the logs said the GPU process on Chrome crashes and it had to resort to Software only decoding (see attached screenshots below). The problem was that Chrome recognizes the GPU as its original PCI Device ID 0x9BC5 which is headless GPU in iMac20,2 (which I'm using as SMBIOS). But since Lilu and WhateverGreen sets it up as non-headless GPU and hence it must be crashing.

So the simple solution was, along with platform-id, add 'device-id' as same model. I've used 0x9B3E0000 (screenshot attached). This matches the platform-id being used. Now, Chrome and other apps recognizes this GPU as 0x9B3E (screenshot attached) and is hardware accelerated, and every app which uses GPU no longer crashes. Again I don't have any dGPU installed at all. Sublime no longer crashes. Safari no longer keeps reloading the page when loading page containing something GPU oriented. Intel Power Gadget shows GPU frequencies touching up to 5 GHz (which is little weird, maybe this is normal in non-headless mode). NVIDIA Geforce NOW which I use to play games online from the cloud, starts working. It just simply crashed without device-id. A 4K HEVC video works smoothly in QuickTime which I see is a test used here by people. I even tried it at 10x seek speed and it doesn't flick at all. I'm liking this kind of power. Just imagining what Radeon 6000 series can do.

I understand that this guide and Intel only GPU testing was done prior to release of iMac 2020 and Catalina with proper support. But this works for me for time being, and I hope it will be useful to people requesting to make the iGPU work properly in non-headless mode. I've been using this for over a week and every animation is smooth and had no problem at all. Even sleep/wake works (I don't have any Fenvi card yet though, I don't think I need it as OpenIntelWireless seems to fix bluetooth which is all I need for now, will wait it to be more stable perhaps, as I use Ethernet anyway).

Attachments

• Chrome Software only mode, GPU process crashes.png
    Chrome Software only mode, GPU process crashes.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
  • Chrome with device-id, fixes GPU, enables hardware accel.png
    Chrome with device-id, fixes GPU, enables hardware accel.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • Chrome with device-id, recogonizes desired fake GPU id.png
    Chrome with device-id, recogonizes desired fake GPU id.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • Intel Power Gadget showing frequencies upto 5Ghz.png
    Intel Power Gadget showing frequencies upto 5Ghz.png
    589.2 KB · Views: 122
  • config with device-id.png
    config with device-id.png
    905.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
@CaseySJ also back to my issue with the SK Hynix P31 Gold SSD, is there a way to suggest/request this SSD to be included in the next release of NVMeFix.kext?

@dsingh,

Thanks for that post. Very helpful! Will add “device-id” in the next OpenCore EFI zip.

Does iMovie also work?

@CaseySJ also back to my issue with the SK Hynix P31 Gold SSD, is there a way to suggest/request this SSD to be included in the next release of NVMeFix.kext?
Although I’ve never done so myself, I believe we can either post a message in the appropriate thread over at InsanelyMac or in their issues/support site. I believe Dortania has a link to it.

Back