Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi all and @CaseySJ .
I am currently helping a friend to move from Catalina (one of your very 1st EFI 0.59 :) ) to Monterey OC 0.75.
He unfortunately has a Samsung 970 Nvme.
You say in your updating EFI 0.75 post:

"If Monterey is installed on Samsung NVMe SSDs, boot time can increase by 60-100 seconds due to "trim" incompatibilty.

This can be addressed by cloning the Samsung NVMe SSD to another disk, erasing the Samsung NVMe SSD with Disk Utility, and cloning macOS back. Please be careful with this process if you decide to do it."

I plan to do a clean install after reformatting the SSD and then move back Apps and so on from a TM.
Is that sufficient to prevent the trim issue and long time booting or after having do the entire restoring process I should clone again, erase the disk and clone back?
Unless you really recommend to move only to big sur 11.6.1 only...

My question may look stupid, but you know it will not be the 1st time :cool:
Thanks again your your invaluable help....
@MacArthur

Here is another suggestion that worked for me in my Ryzen B550, and its non-destructiove if you are careful when you type the commands!!!

1. Samsung 970 EVO and 970 EVO PLUS slow boot times and TRIM.
I have two 512GB 970 EVO and one 512GB 970 EVO PLUS, all of them experience the slow boot issue due to TRIM activity during the MacOS boot process. This issue appears only if the drives are formated as APFS, and it occurs in both Big Sur and Monterey. I found out that if you Overprovision the drives by 10% (Default value in Samsung Magician for Windows) the issue disapears. Because you cannot overeprovision an APFS drive in Windows, you have to do it with Disk Utility in macOS, with the following steps:
1.1 Add a new partition to your disk (not a new APFS volume) and format it as FAT32. If you decide to erase the whole disk then add the OP partition as the last one.
1.2 Note the location of the new partition in the format of diskXsX eg disk1s3
1.3 Close the Disk Utility app and open Terminal and execute the following without the quotes and by replacing the diskname with yours: "diskutil eraseVolume free free diskXsX"
1.4 You are done restart macOS and check the boot performance. If you have more than one Samsung drives the same technique needs to be applied to achieve normal boot performance.
As a note a tested the Trim performance on an empty, half-empty and almost full drive and the performance was the same.

@CaseySJ

Hey, Casey! I just reinstalled my Youbo card since I want to use my my iPad for Sidecar, but I'm not seeing the option to mirror to my iPad. Both WiFi and Bluetooth are working fine. I am on Monterey and OC 0.7.4.

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 4.11.06 PM.png

@CaseySJ

Hey Casey I just reinstalled my Youbo card since I want to use my my iPad for sidecar, but I'm not seeing the option to mirror to my iPad. Both WiFi and Bluetooth are working fine. I am on Monterey and OC 0.7.4.

View attachment 533456
When you open System Preferences --> Displays and click the Add Display drop-down menu, do you see an option for your iPad?

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 4.44.54 PM.png

Sidecar works on my Designare Z390 with Monterey 12.1 beta, as we can see below on my iPad. I had to connect Sidecar, disconnect, then connect once again.

IMG_0237-small.jpg

When you open System Preferences --> Displays and click the Add Display drop-down menu, do you see an option for your iPad?
No I'm only seeing my AppleTV and other airplay options, but not my iPad.

Edit. I am able to AirDrop to my iPad, so it is being detected.

Edit #2. Got it to work. Logged off and logged back in on iCloud for both devices and it showed up.

Last edited:
Yes, on my setup, Intel WiFi and Bluetooth are working for macOS 10.15.7 and Windows 10. :thumbup:
hey, want to ask is Intel WiFi and BT working as natively? I mean you can simply select to connect to WiFi or Bluetooth from menu bar?

Firstly, thanks to CaseySJ for his contribution
After replacing SN750, the boot time was shortened very much
1、BIOS F5 SN750 is not compatible with the second M.2, can not boot, replace F20 problem solved
2、Bluetooth does not work properly after sleep wake up
3、2.5G network port does not work
3、The two red USB ports next to the Thunderbolt cannot be connected to the keyboard normally, but the U disk is fine

Firstly, thanks to CaseySJ for his contribution
After replacing SN750, the boot time was shortened very much
1、BIOS F5 SN750 is not compatible with the second M.2, can not boot, replace F20 problem solved
3、The two red USB ports next to the Thunderbolt cannot be connected to the keyboard normally, but the U disk is fine
Very useful and interesting. I'm just dealing with thew slow boot and keeping my Samsung boot drive for now.

Hello @Justcurious1,

One quick suggestion is to disable SecureBootModel from Misc —> Security. If that does not help, we’ll take a deeper look.
I have this issue as well. I've been running 11.6 and have the updated OC 075 that works fine with Big Sur. Every time I try to install Monterey, it hangs and never completes?

I have this issue as well. I've been running 11.6 and have the updated OC 075 that works fine with Big Sur. Every time I try to install Monterey, it hangs and never completes?
I can take a look at your config.plist -- simply remove serial numbers and post.

Which WiFi/BT card or device are you using?

This is a known issue. Please see the OpenCore 0.7.5 mini-guide for some suggestions.

You're right -- USB 2.x devices do not connect on these ports. Will take a look.

Update:
  • USB 2.x devices such as keyboards and mice will connect on the two red USB ports if we do the following, but continue to use SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2.aml.
  • Unfortunately, this will only provide 15 USB ports. SS04, SS05, SS06, SS07 will be missing.]
  • It is better to avoid connecting USB 2.x devices on the two red USB ports.
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 12.09.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Back