Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Using @CaseySJ's opencore configs from HackinDROM app I have thunderbolt ports working with hot plug and also am able to drive a monitor from the IGPU via a displayport connection on my TB3 drive enclosure. To be honest with you, I plugged in the enclosure booted from Catalina and it found the enclosure. I plugged in the enclosure in windows and it went blue screen. :confused: hah!

Using the displayport via the TB3 enclosure the LG ultrawide monitor I'm using will work at 3440x1440 @ 120hz with HDR using only IGPU. If I plug the monitor in the HDMI from the back of the motherboard the monitor only gets 3440x1440 @ 50hz (no HDR).

This only thing that I'm most positive I don't have working is sleep, which I never use. It takes about 20 seconds to boot the machine so if I'm not using it for an extended period I just shutdown.
One more question. Is the onboard Intel wireless working or should I invest in a Wi-Fi card like the one mentioned by @CaseySJ in post 8380?

One more question. Is the onboard Intel wireless working or should I invest in a Wi-Fi card like the one mentioned by @CaseySJ in post 8380?
Yes, on my setup, Intel WiFi and Bluetooth are working for macOS 10.15.7 and Windows 10. :thumbup:

Hi all and @CaseySJ .
I am currently helping a friend to move from Catalina (one of your very 1st EFI 0.59 :) ) to Monterey OC 0.75.
He unfortunately has a Samsung 970 Nvme.
You say in your updating EFI 0.75 post:

"If Monterey is installed on Samsung NVMe SSDs, boot time can increase by 60-100 seconds due to "trim" incompatibilty.

This can be addressed by cloning the Samsung NVMe SSD to another disk, erasing the Samsung NVMe SSD with Disk Utility, and cloning macOS back. Please be careful with this process if you decide to do it."

I plan to do a clean install after reformatting the SSD and then move back Apps and so on from a TM.
Is that sufficient to prevent the trim issue and long time booting or after having do the entire restoring process I should clone again, erase the disk and clone back?
Unless you really recommend to move only to big sur 11.6.1 only...

My question may look stupid, but you know it will not be the 1st time :cool:
Thanks again your your invaluable help....

Last edited:
Hello,i just finished doing a fresh install of Big Sur 11.6 using open core 0.7.5 and OC-075-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D
I have bluetooth and wifi working but I can see no thunderbolt and igpu in pci tab in system report..I am worried that thunderbolt chip could be damaged because I bought the motherboard in amazon secondhand so I am thinking maybe someone tried to flash it,didnt go right and return it
Hope someone can help to fix it or to check if thunderbolt chip is ok
Sorry if my English is difficult to understand and THANKS for all your work

Hello,i just finished doing a fresh install of Big Sur 11.6 using open core 0.7.5 and OC-075-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D
I have bluetooth and wifi working but I can see no thunderbolt and igpu in pci tab in system report..I am worried that thunderbolt chip could be damaged because I bought the motherboard in amazon secondhand so I am thinking maybe someone tried to flash it,didnt go right and return it
Hope someone can help to fix it or to check if thunderbolt chip is ok
Sorry if my English is difficult to understand and THANKS for all your work
We can check Thunderbolt and iGPU if you post screenshots of these sections of IORegistryExplorer:
  • RP05
  • IGPU
If you use the search bar in IORegistryExplorer, click the “x” icon on the right side of search bar before taking screenshot.

This can be addressed by cloning the Samsung NVMe SSD to another disk, erasing the Samsung NVMe SSD with Disk Utility, and cloning macOS back. Please be careful with this process if you decide to do it."

I plan to do a clean install after reformatting the SSD and then move back Apps and so on from a TM.
Is that sufficient to prevent the trim issue and long time booting or after having do the entire restoring process I should clone again, erase the disk and clone back?
Unless you really recommend to move only to big sur 11.6.1 only...
@MacArthur

Here is my experience with an EVO 970 using the current Samsung firmware on a Z390 Designare running Monterey. (There is no boot delay with Big Sur.) I reformatted the SSD after creating a bootable clone using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then I cloned the bootable clone back to the SSD. At that point the boot time was back to "normal." However, a user reported that after that process the boot times continued to increase as the SSD was used. It seems like there may not be a permanent fix, and boot times will get extended again with use -- under Monterey.

It's time to use the 970 EVO for storage and find another compatible NVMe brand if one plans to run Monterey.

@CaseySJ First thing thank you again for taking your time and answering so quickly
These are the pics I got
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 11.30.33.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 11.30.47.png

@CaseySJ First thing thank you again for taking your time and answering so quickly
These are the pics I got
Some questions/comments:
  • In screenshot 1 (RP05) can you scroll up so we can see the sub-devices under RP05?
  • In screenshot 2 we see the AMD GPU, but not IGPU.
  • In BIOS, is “Internal Graphics” set to Enabled (not Auto)?
  • In BIOS, in the Thunderbolt section, is GPIO3 Force Power set to Enabled?

Some questions/comments:
  • In screenshot 1 (RP05) can you scroll up so we can see the sub-devices under RP05?
  • In screenshot 2 we see the AMD GPU, but not IGPU.
  • In BIOS, is “Internal Graphics” set to Enabled (not Auto)?
  • In BIOS, in the Thunderbolt section, is GPIO3 Force Power set to Enabled?
I am going to check bios for what I remember GPIO3 Force Power is set to Enable and internal graphics to auto
im gonna check it right now and will edit the message if necessary
EDIT I had internal graphics set to auto and thunderbolt was disabled,I remember that I enabled thunderbolt but obviously I did something wrong..Anyway now thunderbolt shows up under pci and works (Apollo 8 is working),no igpu though...ill check bios again(checked again and it is enabled)
Thanks again @CaseySJ I am very happy that I can continue working during the weekend
Id like to do a donation, should I do it to you?
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 14.20.04.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 15.04.25.png

Last edited:
Back