Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@RandC

Couple of quick questions: Are you using Intel WiFi? If so, are you using the 14.4 version of AirportItlwm?

@RandC

Couple of quick questions: Are you using Intel WiFi? If so, are you using the 14.4 version of AirportItlwm?
Yes, using Intel WiFi. Using Sonoma version of AirportItlwm. Here is my list of ktexts and what is turned on. I did play with Secure Boot when booting Linux in BIO, but I made sure it was turned off in the BIOS and still have these issues (have no idea if that is related in any way). My 14.4.0 was up and running until I upgraded to 14.4.1. Now I cannot boot either 14.4.1 or a 14.4 boot installer disk I put on a Flash drive with OC. Don't remember exactly how I went from 13 to 14 but I also went from OC 0.9.2 to OC 0.9.3 at the same time. I seem to remember update didn't work and I used an install disk. Thank you for any additional pointers to try or if you see something wrong, let me know. Thanks so much!

1712104448525.png

@CaseySJ Hi there,

I am currently in the process of changing my old dying soundbar (connected vie bluetooth) and looking at investing in another soundbar that supports Dolby Atmos. From what I could read, Dolby Atmos does not work over Airplay 2 so only solution seems to be via HDMI cable.

First question I have is how do I know that my current system support or can output Dolby Atmos via HDMI? I am running the latest Sonoma version and the GPU is a 6800XT.

Second question, if Dolby Atmos is supported, is related to connectivity. If one HDMi output on the 6800XT is connected to the soundbar and the other HDMI output connected to the monitor, would that work? (I mean would the sound be played via the soundbar and the video still been displayed on the monitor)? Or would I need the soundbar with pass through?

The Samsung Q990C offers HDMI pass through only 4K @60Hz where as the new model Q990D offers the pass through 4K @120Hz (but for almost double the price of the Q990C).
Thanks.

@CaseySJ Hi there,

I am currently in the process of changing my old dying soundbar (connected vie bluetooth) and looking at investing in another soundbar that supports Dolby Atmos. From what I could read, Dolby Atmos does not work over Airplay 2 so only solution seems to be via HDMI cable.

First question I have is how do I know that my current system support or can output Dolby Atmos via HDMI? I am running the latest Sonoma version and the GPU is a 6800XT.

Second question, if Dolby Atmos is supported, is related to connectivity. If one HDMi output on the 6800XT is connected to the soundbar and the other HDMI output connected to the monitor, would that work? (I mean would the sound be played via the soundbar and the video still been displayed on the monitor)? Or would I need the soundbar with pass through?

The Samsung Q990C offers HDMI pass through only 4K @60Hz where as the new model Q990D offers the pass through 4K @120Hz (but for almost double the price of the Q990C).
Thanks.
Hello @emistral,

After some web searching, it seems macOS does not support true Dolby Atmos decoding. It's not clear whether macOS will pass Dolby Atmos bitstream through HDMI, but it's worth trying.

According to Apple's support page linked below, AppleTV supports true Dolby Atmos. So one option is to play your music or movies through AppleTV.

Regarding the question of using two HDMI ports with audio sync'ed between them, unfortunately that is not supported.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 6.39.51 AM.png

@RandC

@CaseySJ ,

Well you hit the nail on the head as usual :). I don't need WiFi since the machine has a wired ethernet connection, so I thought I would turn off AirportItiwm and see if the installer from the Flash Drive would boot. Indeed it does and I'm re-installing 14.3 now. Guess I'll try updating to 14.3.1 afterwards and see if that boots. If that does, then I'll go look and see if there is an update to AirportItlwm for Sonoma. But I'm moving forward thanks to your suggestion.
@RandC

Just wanted to let you know that the version of AirportItiwm which I have not updated lately and is Beta was the culprit. After turning it off I was able to run both the Install Disk and the Recovery Disk for 14.4 and am now running 14.4.1 (from the Recovery Disk, I didn't update). I looked and AirportItiwm Beta was updated two weeks ago so I might try the newest release since I now know what the issue is.

Thanks so much @CaseySJ

@CaseySJ ,

Well you hit the nail on the head as usual :). I don't need WiFi since the machine has a wired ethernet connection, so I thought I would turn off AirportItiwm and see if the installer from the Flash Drive would boot. Indeed it does and I'm re-installing 14.3 now. Guess I'll try updating to 14.3.1 afterwards and see if that boots. If that does, then I'll go look and see if there is an update to AirportItlwm for Sonoma. But I'm moving forward thanks to your suggestion.

Just wanted to let you know that the version of AirportItiwm which I have not updated lately and is Beta was the culprit. After turning it off I was able to run both the Install Disk and the Recovery Disk for 14.4 and am now running 14.4.1 (from the Recovery Disk, I didn't update). I looked and AirportItiwm Beta was updated two weeks ago so I might try the newest release since I now know what the issue is.

Thanks so much @CaseySJ
Glad to hear it. To make things easier, here's the direct download link on GitHub to the Sonoma 14.4+ version of AirportItlwm:

Hello @emistral,

After some web searching, it seems macOS does not support true Dolby Atmos decoding. It's not clear whether macOS will pass Dolby Atmos bitstream through HDMI, but it's worth trying.

According to Apple's support page linked below, AppleTV supports true Dolby Atmos. So one option is to play your music or movies through AppleTV.

Regarding the question of using two HDMI ports with audio sync'ed between them, unfortunately that is not supported.

View attachment 580973
Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately my AppleTV is in the lounge room. And my system in my study. I wanted mainly to have my system connected to a dolby atmos soundbar so that I could watch netflix or prime via their web interface. However I discover that my 2 echo studio gen 2 support in fact dolby atmos and I also add a Fire TV stick max which can stream dolby atmos as well. So I just set up on another HDMI input the firestick tv using the "alexa theater mode" which adds the echo studio and streams dolby atmos. I'll keep using my soundbar until it dies and will see whst to get when that happens.Thanks

Hello @emistral,

View attachment 580973
Also forgot to ask: how can I check whether or not the SPDIF output on the motherboard works (apart from testing it)?
is there any parameter to add in the config.plist? I read there is already a parameter in the device properties which corresponds to the ALC ID = 11 (it is set to 0x0B00000). But I was wondering if for instance in IOReg there was a clue to indicate that spdif is enabled.

Hi @CaseySJ sorry to bother again...
I recently return to use this z490 Vision D Hackintosh configuration, I was using the z690 Vision G and the Slate Digital VRS8 connected without any trouble. But I can't figured out to make it work with the z490 Hackintosh again, I did a fresh installation using the mini guide of OpenCore 0.9.2 update. I also notice the the Intel audio is not working also. I'd appreciate any hint on where to look to solve this, please.

Back