Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I've got this issue now. do I just do a reinstall from the USB stick?
If you started the macOS install from within macOS, then simply start it again from “System Settings -> General -> Software Update”.

But if you’re installing a new copy of macOS from a USB install disk, then restart the installation by booting from the USB install disk.

If you started the macOS install from within macOS, then simply start it again from “System Settings -> General -> Software Update”.

But if you’re installing a new copy of macOS from a USB install disk, then restart the installation by booting from the USB install disk.
That's the rub. I've been trying to build a Sonoma USB install, it keeps failing.
I'm trying again, carefully following the instructions.
1. Use gibMacOS and download Sonoma 14.4
2. Build the install disk
3. use OC-074-VISION-D from page one config-AMD-GPU.plist
4. Download the 14.4 Airportltlwm.kext
5. Put Airportltlwm.kext in OC/Kexts
6. use HackinDROM to update to OC 9.8

That's the rub. I've been trying to build a Sonoma USB install, it keeps failing.
I'm trying again, carefully following the instructions.
1. Use gibMacOS and download Sonoma 14.4
2. Build the install disk
3. use OC-074-VISION-D from page one config-AMD-GPU.plist
4. Download the 14.4 Airportltlwm.kext
5. Put Airportltlwm.kext in OC/Kexts
6. use HackinDROM to update to OC 9.8
We also need to disable “SecureBootModel”. It can be enabled after installation is completed.

We also need to disable “SecureBootModel”. It can be enabled after installation is completed.
OK here what happened when I do all this. I'm using Open Core Confiugurator 2.76.0.0
and HackinDROM 2.2.0.

When I start OC Configurator I get a warning that I have a old version of open core BootLoader. I assume this is because the Boot disk is running OC 0.7.4

I download OC-074-VISION-D and rename it EFI and rename config-AMD-GPU.plist config.plist
I mount the EFI partition on the USB stick. I copy the EFI partition to the USB stick

I unmount and remain the EFI partition on the USB thumb drive. It lists the OC version as 0.7.4. I click the right mouse button to update.

I get these errors

Code:
PlatformInfo->Generic->SystemUUID is borked (Can only be empty, special string OEM or valid UUID)!
CheckPlatformInfo returns 1 error!

HfsPlus.efi at UEFI->Drivers[0] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
OpenCanopy.efi at UEFI->Drivers[2] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
AudioDxe.efi at UEFI->Drivers[3] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
CrScreenshotDxe.efi at UEFI->Drivers[4] must have LoadEarly set to FALSE!
OpenRuntime.efi at UEFI->Drivers[1] should have its LoadEarly set to FALSE unless OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi is in use!
CheckUefi returns 5 errors

Without exiting I open OC configurator on the config.plist in the EFI
I get a bunch of errors from OC validator
Code:
注意: 此版本的 ocvalidate 仅兼容 OpenCore 版本 1.0.0!

警告: 缺少 FixupAppleEfiImages 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

警告: 缺少 ResizeAppleGpuBars 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

警告: 缺少 CustomPciSerialDevice 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

警告: 缺少 DisableIoMapperMapping 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

警告: 缺少 ForceAquantiaEthernet 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

警告: 缺少 HibernateSkipsPicker 键值, 位置: <Boot>!

警告: 缺少 InstanceIdentifier 键值, 位置: <Boot>!

警告: 发现SerialInit选项在索引5处,此版本没有这个选项或已移动位置, 位置: <Debug>!

警告: 缺少 LogModules 键值, 位置: <Debug>!

警告: 发现AllowNvramReset选项在索引0处,此版本没有这个选项或已移动位置, 位置: <Security>!

警告: 发现AllowToggleSip选项在索引2处,此版本没有这个选项或已移动位置, 位置: <Security>!

警告: 缺少 FullNvramAccess 键值, 位置: <Tools>!

警告: 缺少 Serial 键值, 位置: <Misc>!

警告: 发现LegacyEnable选项在索引2处,此版本没有这个选项或已移动位置, 位置: <NVRAM>!

警告: 缺少 PointerDwellClickTimeout 键值, 位置: <AppleInput>!

警告: 缺少 PointerDwellDoubleClickTimeout 键值, 位置: <AppleInput>!

警告: 缺少 PointerDwellRadius 键值, 位置: <AppleInput>!

警告: 缺少 PointerPollMask 键值, 位置: <AppleInput>!

警告: 缺少 PointerPollMax 键值, 位置: <AppleInput>!

警告: 缺少 PointerPollMin 键值, 位置: <AppleInput>!

警告: 发现AudioOut选项在索引2处,此版本没有这个选项或已移动位置, 位置: <Audio>!

警告: 发现MinimumVolume选项在索引4处,此版本没有这个选项或已移动位置, 位置: <Audio>!

警告: 发现VolumeAmplifier选项在索引8处,此版本没有这个选项或已移动位置, 位置: <Audio>!

警告: 缺少 AudioOutMask 键值, 位置: <Audio>!

警告: 缺少 DisconnectHda 键值, 位置: <Audio>!

警告: 缺少 MaximumGain 键值, 位置: <Audio>!

警告: 缺少 MinimumAssistGain 键值, 位置: <Audio>!

警告: 缺少 MinimumAudibleGain 键值, 位置: <Audio>!

警告: 缺少 LoadEarly 键值, 位置: <Drivers>!

警告: 缺少 ConsoleFont 键值, 位置: <Output>!

警告: 缺少 GopBurstMode 键值, 位置: <Output>!

警告: 缺少 InitialMode 键值, 位置: <Output>!

警告: 缺少 ReconnectGraphicsOnConnect 键值, 位置: <Output>!

警告: 缺少 UIScale 键值, 位置: <Output>!

警告: 缺少 PciIo 键值, 位置: <ProtocolOverrides>!

警告: 缺少 EnableVmx 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

警告: 缺少 ResizeGpuBars 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

警告: 缺少 ResizeUsePciRbIo 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

警告: 缺少 ShimRetainProtocol 键值, 位置: <Quirks>!

配置检查发现50个错误!

原始路径: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0, 0x0)

内部转换后的路径: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

DeviceProperties->Add[0]->DevicePath不对! 请检查以上信息!

CheckDeviceProperties 返回1处错误!

PlatformInfo->Generic->SystemUUID不正确 (只能为空、指定OEM字符串或有效的UUID)!

CheckPlatformInfo 返回1处错误!

UEFI->Output->InitialMode is illegal (Can only be Auto, Text, or Graphics)!

CheckUefi 返回1处错误!

验证/Volumes/EFI-KIN-B83/EFI/OC/config.plist用了3毫秒完成,发现53个问题需要注意.
I ignore the errors, set Secure boot model to disabled.

I copy AirportItlwm-Sonoma into EFI/OC/Kexts

I click scan/browse under the Kernel tab on OC Configurator, which adds
AirportItlwm-Sonoma.Kext. I set minkernal to 23.00.00 and maxkernel to 23.99.99 and make sure the kernel is enabled.

I save the config.plist in OC configurator

I get these error for OC validator
Code:
注意: 此版本的 ocvalidate 仅兼容 OpenCore 版本 1.0.0!

原始路径: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0, 0x0)

内部转换后的路径: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

DeviceProperties->Add[0]->DevicePath不对! 请检查以上信息!

CheckDeviceProperties 返回1处错误!

PlatformInfo->Generic->SystemUUID不正确 (只能为空、指定OEM字符串或有效的UUID)!

CheckPlatformInfo 返回1处错误!

验证/Volumes/EFI-KIN-B83/EFI/OC/config.plist用了2毫秒完成,发现2个问题需要注意.
I hit cancel on the HackinDROM window and try the update again

I get this error
PlatformInfo->Generic->SystemUUID is borked (Can only be empty, special string OEM or valid UUID)!
CheckPlatformInfo returns 1 error!

Go back to OC configuartor under model lookup and to iMac 19,1 save again in OC configurator

get this error

Ignore it go back to HackinDROM hit cancel and try update again

This time HackinDROM suceeds and EFI is update to 0.9.9

I quit OC configurator, and reopen it and look at the config.plist

Securebootmodel is disabled, Airportltwlm-Sonoma.kext is enabled.

However under PlatformInfo in DataHub-Generic and in SMBOIS are mostly empty
and model lookup is still set to MacBook1,1 I change it to Imac19,1 and save in OC Configurator

This time there are no errors from OC validator.

I unmount the EFI partition in HackinDROM

I reboot the system, hit F12 and select the thumb drive at the Vision D firmware area,
It boots into the MacOS installer. I select a disk to install to. It gets down to 12 minutes remaining,
then skip to 13 minutes, then reboots. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
@lcrl,

When you say it gets down to 12 or 13 minutes remaining and reboots, is that the first reboot of the entire installation process, or is it the second or third or fourth?

@lcrl,

When you say it gets down to 12 or 13 minutes remaining and reboots, is that the first reboot of the entire installation process, or is it the second or third or fourth?
first

That is normal. The system will automatically reboot 3 times.

Each time it reboots we must press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen to select the USB flash disk. Then at the OpenCore Boot Picker the correct boot disk will be selected automatically.

Please see Installation Overview in Post 1 for more complete details.

To all Gigabyte Z490 Vision G users (and probably Vision D)

Don't be tempted to update to a BIOS newer than F20 (or whats recommended in the build guide)

Here's why ....

I had been running BIOS F20 on my Z490 Vision G for a few years now, but in a moment of unclarity I ignored all of my internal warnings and decided to update the BIOS to F23, after all according to the Gigabyte support site there were tons of security fixes .... what's the worse that can happen ... right ?

Vison G BIOS Updates.png

After updating to F23 and re-setting the BIOS options, MacOS booted and worked as before .... all seemed good.

However after a few days I started to notice some odd behaviour when playing YouTube videos, the audio was fine but video playback was stuttering / glitching. Using Intel Power Gadget to monitor the IGPU load it became very clear that the IGPU was behaving very erraticly in a good/bad cycle were during playback the IGPU seemed to work ok for a few seconds then it would freeze for a a few seconds (video play back would also freeze) then back to ok, then not ... etc.

I checked the IGPU config and all was correct, I tried a few other IGPU configs and also removing the IGPU device properties and letting WhatEverGreen do its thing but no matter what I tried this odd behaviour continued.

Eventually I disabled the IGPU in the BIOS to force MacOS to default all codec decode on to my RX 6800 XT and after doing this the Video playback issues were gone.

I ran the system like this for several weeks and all was fine however I started to get the feeling that the system was not performing as it used to. So I decided to run Geekbench 6 and check the result agaist the result I had already when the system was running on BIOS F20.

To my utter shock the system had lost around 30% performance in Geekbench, I also checked using Cinebench who's results also confirmed the loss of performance.

I checked all the BIOS setings to make sure I had everything correct, such as XMP enabled and the same overclock settings I had before ... which they were. I tried mutilpe changes to the BIOS settings but no matter what the system performance was some 30% down.

I can only attribute the poor performance to the multitude of Intel ME CPU patches included in BIOS versions F21 - F23 such as Meltdown, Spectre ... etc (it's a long list). As for what was wrong with the IGPU I have no idea, I could not find any mention of the issue on any Hackintosh web sites and the problem did not show up in Windows so it appears to be MacOS specific.

So all in all updating the BIOS was an utter disaster.

Time to switch back to BIOS F20 ..... Unfortunately since BIOS F21 Gigabyte introduced a Capsule BIOS which means no possibility of downgrading the BIOS, at least through any of the Gigabyte QFlash utilities

BIOS F21.png
After a few days of cursing and researching the issue I found that it is possible to downgrade the BIOS back to F20 by booting into Windows 11 and using Intel’s Flash Programming Tool (FPT) which is part of Intel's (CS)ME System Tools package.

Note 1: Unlike the Gigabyte QFlash utilities, the Intel FPT tool does not check/validate the BIOS binary that you select to flash with, so there is a possibility of bricking your motherboard if you flash with the wrong file.

Note 2: I think that it is possible to downgrade a Capsule BIOS using the QFlash Plus feature however all the documentation I found on this indicated that the FQlash Plus feature is meant to be used with no CPU and GPU not installed in the motherboard.

I did not want to remove anything from the system so opted to try the Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT).

After booting into Windows and downloading the correct Intel (CS)ME System Tools package, I ran FPTW64 and held my breath as the Intel Flash Programming Tool went ahead and erased multiple regions of the UEFI followed by flashing the same regions with the selected BIOS/UEFI image (F20) ... after it finished I rebooted and after a somewhat longer than usual reboot time entreated the BIOS to confirm that it was indeed F20 (it was) .. phew.

I re-set the BIOS options, booted back in to MacOS and re-ran Geekbench 6 to confirm that the system performance was back to what it was before all of this.

BIOS F20 v F23.png

So What have we learned ?

1. Don't be tempted to update to a later BIOS unless you absolutely have no option and need to do it to support a specific need, if you do be prepared to sacrifice some system perfomance.

2. If you do update to a later BIOS, MacOS should stilll run ok but performance will most likely be affected and you may encounter the strange IGPU issue that I did.

3. All those Intel ME CPU patches to fix CPU vulnerabilities such as Spectre, Meltdown ...etc really do have an adverse effect on system performance.

4. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.

Hopefully this post will help other to avoid the pain I went through.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
That is normal. The system will automatically reboot 3 times.

Each time it reboots we must press F12 at Gigabyte splash screen to select the USB flash disk. Then at the OpenCore Boot Picker the correct boot disk will be selected automatically.

Please see Installation Overview in Post 1 for more complete details.
Sigh, someday I'll learn to RTFM. That worked. Thank you for your patience with me.

Downgrading with QFlash isn't possible, that's right, but with QFlash plus I've always been able to downgrade the BIOS, even the capsule BIOS versions. I think, that when the capsule BIOS was introduced, the warning about the inability to downgrade was adopted for all boards, although it was actually only intended for those without QFlash Plus.

Back