Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Would you mind posting your EFI? I am interested in seeing more Open Core EFIs that work with our MBs. I have been modifying the one Pastrychef posted.

I'll try to do in a few days in a proper build post, but maybe a bit early (much I haven't checked yet).

Note though my board is a Z390M non-gaming. The only part of my EFI that's not absolutely bog-standard from the OpenCore install guide for Coffee Lake refresh are the framebuffer mods for iGPU / no video card, and I haven't got that to 100% just yet. I used the prebuilt ACPI files.

(Note I'm using Mojave too)

Hi there folks,
I've been using this pc for more than 2 months in a daily basis and it's perfect!
Just one thing I've found: it stucks for milliseconds watching videos... the pointer stucks also during this action but when the milliseconds passed it continues working well.
Any idea? Sth related with safari?

Hi there folks,
I've been using this pc for more than 2 months in a daily basis and it's perfect!
Just one thing I've found: it stucks for milliseconds watching videos... the pointer stucks also during this action but when the milliseconds passed it continues working well.
Any idea? Sth related with safari?

I don't think I've ever experienced this... Can you post a video of what is happening?

What's the consensus on the F9L firmware? Is it good to install? I am on F9J and can't say I have any issues.

What's the consensus on the F9L firmware? Is it good to install? I am on F9J and can't say I have any issues.

F9l has been good for me. I was able to lower my LLC to "high" from "turbo". This results in a cooler running CPU.

F9l has been good for me. I was able to lower my LLC to "high" from "turbo". This results in a cooler running CPU.
I’m normally in the “if it ain’t broke don’t” camp but if you look at the release notes (one of the benefits of it no longer being beta) they mention security micro code and VCore power improvements (which may explain the ability to reduce LLC). Both should make one want to upgrade.

I just tried but coming from F9J, I am getting the OEM mismatch error mentioned in a post a few pages back. I need to use the EFIflash utility apparently as noted in a previous quote. Anybody know if I can run that from windows cmd prompt, or if I had to follow all the steps to create a bootable USB stick with dos on it?

@pastrychef

Gigabyte released an update for my related Gaming X mobo, so I was looking forward to transition from the beta. However, in this update, it seems that selecting the XMP Profile 1 is causing a problem. When I choose this setting, my rig no longer POSTs. It's strange that it worked in the previous BIOS versions.

Do you know of any way to manually set the RAM timings? Otherwise, I think I will go back to the previous beta BIOS. I am getting slower performance without the XMP enabled.

Thanks

Ted

@pastrychef

Gigabyte released an update for my related Gaming X mobo, so I was looking forward to transition from the beta. However, in this update, it seems that selecting the XMP Profile 1 is causing a problem. When I choose this setting, my rig no longer POSTs. It's strange that it worked in the previous BIOS versions.

Do you know of any way to manually set the RAM timings? Otherwise, I think I will go back to the previous beta BIOS. I am getting slower performance without the XMP enabled.

Thanks

Ted

You can go in to the advanced RAM settings and copy the XMP settings, then re-enter them manually...

You can go in to the advanced RAM settings and copy the XMP settings, then re-enter them manually...

After spending pretty much the whole day on this, it looks like I can't go higher than 3333, even though the RAM is rated at 3600. It's very strange. When I went back to the older beta BIOS, it still has the same problem. I've never seen something like this. I'm tempted to rewind it all the way back to the original BIOS that it shipped with, but then that will probably take another day.

It's very strange that the XMP was working and after the BIOS update, it no longer works.

Edit: Setting the timings manually allowed me to get to 3500, but it chokes at 3600. Close enough I guess. Strange. Is this possibly a sign that the memory is failing? I tried switching around the modules, but it didn't help.

Last edited:
Back