Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

After spending pretty much the whole day on this, it looks like I can't go higher than 3333, even though the RAM is rated at 3600. It's very strange. When I went back to the older beta BIOS, it still has the same problem. I've never seen something like this. I'm tempted to rewind it all the way back to the original BIOS that it shipped with, but then that will probably take another day.

It's very strange that the XMP was working and after the BIOS update, it no longer works.

Edit: Setting the timings manually allowed me to get to 3500, but it chokes at 3600. Close enough I guess. Strange. Is this possibly a sign that the memory is failing? I tried switching around the modules, but it didn't help.

RAM overclocking is extremely complicated. If you can get 3500MHz working well, I would leave it alone... You can try loosening timings to get 3600MHz but there may not be any benefits...

RAM overclocking is extremely complicated. If you can get 3500MHz working well, I would leave it alone... You can try loosening timings to get 3600MHz but there may not be any benefits...

Thanks -- I meant that the XMP was working previously with my F10g beta, then when I flashed to F10h, it no longer worked. Then going back to F10g beta, it didn't work either. I'm content that I was able to manually adjust it to the near the XMP settings, but it's puzzling why it worked previously and now it doesn't.

On another note, how do you figure out the AAPL, slot name in the DeviceProperties? I have a RocketRaid card that sometimes gets recognized and sometimes not. I have a feeling I have to inject the DeviceProperties. The card is in the PCIEX1 3 slot.

Thanks!

Ted

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 9.28.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 9.33.54 PM.png

First of all I want to say thank you for this thread - this is my second Hackintosh build (first one being in 2014) and so far it's been a breeze.

I've followed all the instructions and I have everything Catalina appears to be working fine. The only thing is that the BIOS doesn't see the hard drive as a bootable drive. I think this is because I don't have a Bootloaders installed.

I try and use Multibeast to install a Bootloader but the installation keeps failing. According to the log it fails on 'install of Clover_r5119-UEFI.pkg'

I'm only using Multibeast to install the bootloader as I'm using EFI folder that pastrychef very helpfully posted at the start of the thread for all the thread. Is there another way that I can install a bootloader?

Thanks

Thanks -- I meant that the XMP was working previously with my F10g beta, then when I flashed to F10h, it no longer worked. Then going back to F10g beta, it didn't work either. I'm content that I was able to manually adjust it to the near the XMP settings, but it's puzzling why it worked previously and now it doesn't.

On another note, how do you figure out the AAPL, slot name in the DeviceProperties? I have a RocketRaid card that sometimes gets recognized and sometimes not. I have a feeling I have to inject the DeviceProperties. The card is in the PCIEX1 3 slot.

Thanks!

Ted

View attachment 493130

View attachment 493131

I don't know why your RAM ran at the XMP settings before and can't anymore. Different BIOS versions can definitely affect RAM, but reverting to previous version that allowed the XMP profile to work should have fixed it...

Look at the XMP profile of your RAM. See if it adjusts the CPU "base clock". If your XMP profile makes changes to this, it will affect your CPU clocks and adjustments may be required to get the CPU stable.

Did you use Hackintool to export your PCIIDs? That should give you the accurate device path (aka slot name) for your devices. As to how to read the device paths, I don't know. I never even thought to figure out how to read the paths.

I'm not sure why your RocketRAID only appears sporadically. Unless you define specific properties, i.e. "layout-id" for audio, it shouldn't affect anything. You can try eliminating the entire entry for that card in DeviceProperties. It should work fine without it in your config.plist. Removing the entry for that card will just cause it to not appear in System Information > DeviceProperties.

Have you tried the card in either slot PCIEX1_2 or PCIEX4?

First of all I want to say thank you for this thread - this is my second Hackintosh build (first one being in 2014) and so far it's been a breeze.

I've followed all the instructions and I have everything Catalina appears to be working fine. The only thing is that the BIOS doesn't see the hard drive as a bootable drive. I think this is because I don't have a Bootloaders installed.

I try and use Multibeast to install a Bootloader but the installation keeps failing. According to the log it fails on 'install of Clover_r5119-UEFI.pkg'

I'm only using Multibeast to install the bootloader as I'm using EFI folder that pastrychef very helpfully posted at the start of the thread for all the thread. Is there another way that I can install a bootloader?

Thanks

No need to use MultiBeast. Just mount the EFI partition of the drive in question and copy/paste your working EFI folder to that partition.

I think I know the answer to your OEM mismatch problem. This can happen if your new bios files is a different size than your prior one. To fix it you will have to use the efiflash tool with the command
Code:
efiflash biosfilename /x \NoOemID
The reference for this advice is https://www.tweaktownforum.com/foru...gigabyte-latest-beta-bios?p=747861#post747861

Here’s some info on using efiflash.

Thanks for posting this. I had to follow these steps to go from F9J to F9L. The only issue I had is I couldn't boot off the DOS boot USB drive I created with Rufus until I enabled CSM. Once I flashed using the EFI tool, I went back and was able to flash F9l again with Q-Flash utility without any errors(unnecessary but I was curious whether it would work).

The only bummer is I lost all my saved profiles. I need to save them to a USB drive next time.

Last edited:
No need to use MultiBeast. Just mount the EFI partition of the drive in question and copy/paste your working EFI folder to that partition.
I tried that, and it works perfectly when I have the USB I made with Unibeast in, but it just boots into the BIOS when I don’t have the USB in and I can’t select the hard drive as a bootable drive. Do I not need to install a bootloader on the hard drive to make it bootable?

I tried that, and it works perfectly when I have the USB I made with Unibeast in, but it just boots into the BIOS when I don’t have the USB in and I can’t select the hard drive as a bootable drive. Do I not need to install a bootloader on the hard drive to make it bootable?

Please read post #1.

It's ridiculously easy.
Download the EFI.
Mount your EFI partition.
Copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition.
UniBeast is not mentioned anywhere in post #1.

I don't know why your RAM ran at the XMP settings before and can't anymore. Different BIOS versions can definitely affect RAM, but reverting to previous version that allowed the XMP profile to work should have fixed it...

Look at the XMP profile of your RAM. See if it adjusts the CPU "base clock". If your XMP profile makes changes to this, it will affect your CPU clocks and adjustments may be required to get the CPU stable.

Did you use Hackintool to export your PCIIDs? That should give you the accurate device path (aka slot name) for your devices. As to how to read the device paths, I don't know. I never even thought to figure out how to read the paths.

I'm not sure why your RocketRAID only appears sporadically. Unless you define specific properties, i.e. "layout-id" for audio, it shouldn't affect anything. You can try eliminating the entire entry for that card in DeviceProperties. It should work fine without it in your config.plist. Removing the entry for that card will just cause it to not appear in System Information > DeviceProperties.

Have you tried the card in either slot PCIEX1_2 or PCIEX4?

Thanks PC! I didn't know about the export option of Hackintool, and that seems to have done the trick. What I meant was that originally, I didn't have an entry for the card in my DeviceProperties, so I was wondering if that was making it appear or disappear. With using Hackintool to get the DeviceProperties entry for the card in my config.plist, it now appears consistently. Thanks again!

Back