Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Turns out I hadn't copied the EFI into the EFI folder on the EFI partition - I'd just put them in the root. Now it's all working - thanks again for making this such a pain free experience!

The only outstanding thing is that when I go to About My Mac is has ??? under graphics. It's a Radeon RX580 so I thought it would work natively. Is there anything I should change in the plist?

Look at the XMP profile of your RAM. See if it adjusts the CPU "base clock". If your XMP profile makes changes to this, it will affect your CPU clocks and adjustments may be required to get the CPU stable.

Thanks again PC. After looking around, I found that the Windows CPU-Z could dig around into the XMP Profile. I was able to get a couple of additional timings on top of the 19-20-20-40 that I entered manually, and now I can get it up to 3600. I have to add more voltage to it, but at least it is up and running again. I'm learning so much about these settings that I was previously afraid to touch! Thanks!

Turns out I hadn't copied the EFI into the EFI folder on the EFI partition - I'd just put them in the root. Now it's all working - thanks again for making this such a pain free experience!

The only outstanding thing is that when I go to About My Mac is has ??? under graphics. It's a Radeon RX580 so I thought it would work natively. Is there anything I should change in the plist?

That's cosmetic and doesn't affect performance or operation.

Please see post #3 of this thread. Look for "How to populate System Information > PCI". Follow those instructions and you can change the "???" to say anything you like.

I have a random observation. I have noticed that my benchmarks are always faster after my computer has gone through a sleep cycle. Any ideas why this may be? Even from a cold boot and running a benchmark right away when the computer is cold, a benchmark after sleep is faster. Not a huge about, maybe like 1250 vs 1300 single core.

I have a random observation. I have noticed that my benchmarks are always faster after my computer has gone through a sleep cycle. Any ideas why this may be? Even from a cold boot and running a benchmark right away when the computer is cold, a benchmark after sleep is faster. Not a huge about, maybe like 1250 vs 1300 single core.

The first run of Geekbench when I launch it is also always slower on single core. All runs after that are faster. I have no idea why. This also happens on my laptops.

Tonight, I wanted to run a Windows app so I booted in to Windows for the first time in a few months. Within a few minutes, it would BSOD with "kernel security check failure". This was repeatable across several reboots.

So, I thought maybe it needed some sort of Windows update. Of course, it would BSOD before it was even able to find any updates. Okay, fine... I boot Windows in a VM in macOS (which strangely doesn't BSOD) and do the updates. The brilliant Windows updater decides to do the 2004 updates before the 1903 updates!
man-facepalming-type-1-2_1f926-1f3fb-200d-2642-fe0f.png

Now, I'm waiting for the updates to finish, which undoubtedly will take hours... I suspect that I'll be doing a clean install of Windows in the next few days... I don't even know where I put my Windows key... Ugh...

It's experiences like these that cause my doubts of people who claim Windows is really solid now and that they'd switch to it when macOS on X86 is no longer supported...

Now, I'm waiting for the updates to finish, which undoubtedly will take hours... I suspect that I'll be doing a clean install of Windows in the next few days...
The Windows 10 GUI looks more modern and slick on the surface but underneath that it's still got all those problems that have plagued the Windows OS for decades. MS really needs to start over and move on from the X86 architecture and make a fresh start. Will they ever do that ? I doubt it. All their business users would revolt if that happened.

So, I thought maybe it needed some sort of Windows update. Of course, it would BSOD before it was even able to find any updates.
I use WAU app to get back a semblance of control over updates and do them manually.

The Windows 10 GUI looks more modern and slick on the surface but underneath that it's still got all those problems that have plagued the Windows OS for decades. MS really needs to start over and move on from the X86 architecture and make a fresh start. Will they ever do that ? I doubt it. All their business users would revolt if that happened.

I might be alone in how I feel about this, but Windows 10 still feels quite sluggish to me despite the fact that I'm running decently powerful, modern hardware. Maybe it's the apps that I run... It "feels" like Windows tries to cache a lot of stuff and the caches take forever to empty. For example, I can quit an app and it still feels like it's doing stuff in the background or, even when I try to shutdown, it seems to be doing lots of stuff before it actually shuts down.

I might be alone in how I feel about this, but Windows 10 still feels quite sluggish to me despite the fact that I'm running decently powerful, modern hardware. Maybe it's the apps that I run... It "feels" like Windows tries to cache a lot of stuff and the caches take forever to empty. For example, I can quit an app and it still feels like it's doing stuff in the background or, even when I try to shutdown, it seems to be doing lots of stuff before it actually shuts down.
What I do: I boot into Windows(on a separate SSD) once a month, just to update the OS. That way I am sure it's ready to go when I really need it to.

Win10 feels different from MacOS, that's for sure. But not worse. Steinberg's Cubase is faster on Win10, but the GUI is not as fluent.

It's Logic Pro and my Mac-only Metric Halo hardware that keeps me in the Mac ecosystem.

If you can build and run a Hack, Windows 10 is easy.

Back