Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I'd like to add a quick update on the build I did for a friend-
The machine seems pretty nice, all in all. Only issue on the mac side of things is that he ran out of storage editing his Final Cut project on a 512GB, so I'm having him add a 1TB Samsung NVMe... I was really impressed with the NVMe speeds on the WD Black used as a Windows drive I recently dropped in there (LoL, which is pretty much just so his kid can play Half Life Alyx on his Oculus S - wow, that's game is crazy!)
It had issues with the HDMI cable when he switched to an ultra wide monitor, solved by running the display port cable - minor issues with wifi and bluetooth, solved by switching the usb port and the card is slightly off spec making it not seat properly in the slot, solved by taking the screw out and blaming Chinese manufacture.
Really nice build and I'm slightly envious, but then again, he can't drop in a Ryzen 3 CPU.
Thanks again for all the help Pastry Chef!

I'd like to add a quick update on the build I did for a friend-
The machine seems pretty nice, all in all. Only issue on the mac side of things is that he ran out of storage editing his Final Cut project on a 512GB, so I'm having him add a 1TB Samsung NVMe... I was really impressed with the NVMe speeds on the WD Black used as a Windows drive I recently dropped in there (LoL, which is pretty much just so his kid can play Half Life Alyx on his Oculus S - wow, that's game is crazy!)
It had issues with the HDMI cable when he switched to an ultra wide monitor, solved by running the display port cable - minor issues with wifi and bluetooth, solved by switching the usb port and the card is slightly off spec making it not seat properly in the slot, solved by taking the screw out and blaming Chinese manufacture.
Really nice build and I'm slightly envious, but then again, he can't drop in a Ryzen 3 CPU.
Thanks again for all the help Pastry Chef!

I have a Samsung 970 EVO and a Western Digital SN750. I can not tell any difference between the two in terms of performance.

I have a Samsung 970 EVO and a Western Digital SN750. I can not tell any difference between the two in terms of performance.
Those are the exact drives I'm using. Went with the Samsung the second time cause the WD shipping on Amazon was ridiculously long. If I get one for my personal system is will be a PCI 4 drive, whether the new Samsung, Sabrent, or Corsair.

It's normal for the system to wake itself to do things such as sync Messages, email, etc.

You can disable this by disabling Power Nap in System Preferences > Energy Saver.

In fact, you can also disable Wake for network access.

You can also disable proximity wake:
Code:
pmset -a proximitywake 0

disabling proximitywake didn't help in my case. :(

@cdstang : That's similar to the log that I've been getting. My system is supposed to go to sleep after about an hour of inactivity, and I'm getting that powerd message that looks like it is preventing sleep.

Fortunately, I can schedule sleep, and it will power down. I can also command sleep and it will stay powered down.

The farthest I've gotten in troubleshooting is this: in testing out on a fresh install of Big Sur, I am finding that the problem is something with my power preferences. When I copy over:

com.apple.powerlogd
com.apple.PowerManagement.7D11C3CC-80C9-56F3-84C8-BDFB8E5B39B3
com.apple.PowerManagement

from the Library/Preferences of my problem system, it replicates the problem on my fresh install. But that's the farthest I've gotten. If I delete these prefs from my fresh install, then allow new ones to repopulate, then system sleeps fine.

But deleting these files from my problem system doesn't fix the problem. I've gone so far as to delete all the *.plist from my preferences and it doesn't solve it.

So I'm scratching my head at this point. I am hoping that they will be able to fix it in the next release. If worst comes to worst, when the final release comes out and it is a problem unique to my system, I will probably reinstall the system.

disabling proximitywake didn't help in my case. :(

@cdstang : That's similar to the log that I've been getting. My system is supposed to go to sleep after about an hour of inactivity, and I'm getting that powerd message that looks like it is preventing sleep.

Fortunately, I can schedule sleep, and it will power down. I can also command sleep and it will stay powered down.

The farthest I've gotten in troubleshooting is this: in testing out on a fresh install of Big Sur, I am finding that the problem is something with my power preferences. When I copy over:

com.apple.powerlogd
com.apple.PowerManagement.7D11C3CC-80C9-56F3-84C8-BDFB8E5B39B3
com.apple.PowerManagement

from the Library/Preferences of my problem system, it replicates the problem on my fresh install. But that's the farthest I've gotten. If I delete these prefs from my fresh install, then allow new ones to repopulate, then system sleeps fine.

But deleting these files from my problem system doesn't fix the problem. I've gone so far as to delete all the *.plist from my preferences and it doesn't solve it.

So I'm scratching my head at this point. I am hoping that they will be able to fix it in the next release. If worst comes to worst, when the final release comes out and it is a problem unique to my system, I will probably reinstall the system.

Your issues are just with the latest Big Sur Public Beta, correct? If so, I wouldn't waste too much time on it. Wait and see how sleep works with the Golden Master.

Hi pastrychef, I just received AQC107 10Gbe NIC. The NIC supports wake on lan, but I can not find any setting of power on pcie in z390m BIOS. After the pc fall sleep, I cannot wake it up by sending magic packet, and the led of NIC was off. Had tried turn on wol for onboard NIC, working fine, but the 10Gbe no good. Do you have any suggestions?
2020-10-22_212119.png
2020-10-22_212139.png

Last edited:
Hi pastrychef, I just received AQC107 10Gbe NIC. The NIC supports wake on lan, but I can not find any setting of power on pcie in z390m BIOS. After the pc fall sleep, I cannot wake it up by sending magic packet, and the led of NIC was off. Had tried turn on wol for onboard NIC, working fine, but the 10Gbe no good. Do you have any suggestions?
View attachment 492759View attachment 492760

I have never tried to power on my system using WoL.

Waking the system from sleep works fine for me. Just send magic packet and it wakes.

I have never had to configure anything for the NIC in Windows.

I remember one other user saying that powering on his system was not possible with his Asus AQC107 card because the card lacked the capability. I'm guessing it varies from card to card.

I'm considering upgrading the bios from v5 to 6(something), and also a nuke-and-redo of the clover installation (or possibly OpenCore from scratch), as clearly there's something in the clover/configs that's not quite right (and my installation and EFI may be a bit of a mess by now).

I ended up doing OpenCore from scratch, and followed far more carefully the instructions (I reckon I missed the section about video ports and all that).

Success! And wow, what a difference in terms of stability, feel, and speed. Haven't yet had the time to check everything but the parts I have done have all gone very smoothly.

Probably not a fair comparison to clover in that the clover configs were likely crufty with all my attempts to straighten things out.

But no question in my mind that OpenCore is the way to go.

I ended up doing OpenCore from scratch, and followed far more carefully the instructions (I reckon I missed the section about video ports and all that).

Success! And wow, what a difference in terms of stability, feel, and speed. Haven't yet had the time to check everything but the parts I have done have all gone very smoothly.

Probably not a fair comparison to clover in that the clover configs were likely crufty with all my attempts to straighten things out.

But no question in my mind that OpenCore is the way to go.

Would you mind posting your EFI? I am interested in seeing more Open Core EFIs that work with our MBs. I have been modifying the one Pastrychef posted.

Not sure if you guys saw this, but a cool thing to mod if you have a windows partition is the Boot Logo in your BIOS.

Back