Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Yeah I connected to my TV, which got me video out for long enough to make the BIOS settings adjustments in f9k (not precisely the same changes you made, but the longer list called out in Dortania's OpenCore install guide). After that... boom, nothing. Not even an option to get back into the BIOS or boot screen.

@pastrychef — I'm interested in trying to implement *just* your USB mapping, as we have the same mobo (and your instinct was the same as mine; disable USB 2.0 on a couple of the least versatile ports to get down to 15).

I'm only well versed enough to have the idea, not to know if it's feasible, or have a very clear sense of how to do it. :mrgreen: What are your thoughts?

EDIT: My plan otherwise is to follow Dortania's manual USB Mapping guide.

Last edited:
Yeah I connected to my TV, which got me video out for long enough to make the BIOS settings adjustments in f9k (not precisely the same changes you made, but the longer list called out in Dortania's OpenCore install guide). After that... boom, nothing. Not even an option to get back into the BIOS or boot screen.

@pastrychef — I'm interested in trying to implement *just* your USB mapping, as we have the same mobo (and your instinct was the same as mine; disable USB 2.0 on a couple of the least versatile ports to get down to 15).

I'm only well versed enough to have the idea, not to know if it's feasible, or have a very clear sense of how to do it. :mrgreen: What are your thoughts?

EDIT: My plan otherwise is to follow Dortania's manual USB Mapping guide.

If you want to use my USB mapping, just take the USB kext from my EFI and put it in yours.

I think what allowed me to be able to see the BIOS again on my monitor was disabling CSM support.

Last edited:
Hoo boy... flashed the BIOS to f9k (beta). Went through the screens and re did my various BIOS settings for the OpenCore install. Restarted. Wouldn't post! No bios screen, no nothing. No video output by either HDMI or DisplayPort (dGPU) or on-board HDMI. I had to reset CMOS and then Qflash it back down to f9g.

Hi

Just to add to the pool of info I flashed to F9k and had no black screen issues.

Tony

If you want to use my USB mapping, just take the USB kext from my EFI and put it in yours.

I think what allowed me to be able to see the BIOS again on my monitor was disabling CSM support.
Interesting. I disabled CSM right away, while making my other standard BIOS changes.

@pastrychef : I'm using your USB kext (USBPorts-with-Power.kext) and enabled it in my config.plist but when I run USBMap.command and look at my mapping it's still reflecting the changes I made when I first tried to map my ports using the post-install guide from Dortania. Is there something I need to do in order to clear those previous changes?

Interesting. I disabled CSM right away, while making my other standard BIOS changes.

@pastrychef : I'm using your USB kext (USBPorts-with-Power.kext) and enabled it in my config.plist but when I run USBMap.command and look at my mapping it's still reflecting the changes I made when I first tried to map my ports using the post-install guide from Dortania. Is there something I need to do in order to clear those previous changes?

I don't know how you had it configured previously... There are multiple ways to reduce the port limit to 15 ports or less. You have to remove any and all fixes you previously used, then use my USB kext.

I don't know how you had it configured previously... There are multiple ways to reduce the port limit to 15 ports or less. You have to remove any and all fixes you previously used, then use my USB kext.
Previously I'd built a kext using USBMap tool — that's all there was to it. I replaced with your kext and also replaced the reference in config.plist.

Previously I'd built a kext using USBMap tool — that's all there was to it. I replaced with your kext and also replaced the reference in config.plist.

Apparently, that tool also creates an SSDT. Make sure it's not installed.

Hi all

I've tried both the Nvidia GT 730 and the Intel internal HD630 and I have a weird graphics bug as per the attached image using both GPUs:

IMG_20200807_192406.jpg

Grey areas turn black which can be seen here in the Safari tab toolbar. When moving the mouse over these areas the black is painted grey as if one is using Photoshop or MS Paint paint tool brush. I have the WhateverGreen and HD630 fixes installed on my EFI.

Any ideas?

Apart from this I can't see anything wrong with my system after a somewhat painful first 5 or 6 hours of feeling lost it has been pretty easy.

I've tested using Cinebench and the results were in line with the same benchmarked CPU. Are there any other tests to check how effective the install has been?

Thanks
Tony

First off, I appreciate everybody's work and effort to make this even remotely possible. Insanely awesome what y'all do.

Second, this is my first Hackintosh build and only realized after building the rig (and stumbling on this thread) that the z390M Gaming may not have been the best choice for a toe-dipping first-timer. The reason I'm here on this thread is because I am having the issue wherein at the 12-minute remaining mark of the (second?) install phase, the system restarts.

Here we go:

I created the bootable USB for Catalina 10.14 via the App store and Unibeast 10. I then transferred Multibeast 12 to the USB with all settings left alone. I did not inspect nor mess with anything on the USB drive at this point. Both Unibeast and Multibeast were downloaded from this site yesterday (20-08-06).

I flashed the BIOS to F9k and tried to adjust all settings specified:

BIOS settings.jpg

One thing I have never seen in three BIOS versions (stock F8, F9g, F9k) are any DVMT settings (settings pictured are with F9k active):

BIOS DVMT.jpg

I tried formatting my 970 EVO as both Extended (Journaled) AND APFS.

Looking at the Clover settings under SMBIOS I see the 'Board Version' is iMac14,2.

All this results in the same eventuality: a restart with 12 minutes remaining:

install_fail.jpg

I have picked my way through a number of threads and guides, to no avail, and am finally biting the bullet and directly seeking help by way of this post. If I've done this the wrong way please forgive my ignorance and kindly point me in the right direction.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• install_fail.jpg
    install_fail.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 34
Hi all

I've tried both the Nvidia GT 730 and the Intel internal HD630 and I have a weird graphics bug as per the attached image using both GPUs:

View attachment 483248

Grey areas turn black which can be seen here in the Safari tab toolbar. When moving the mouse over these areas the black is painted grey as if one is using Photoshop or MS Paint paint tool brush. I have the WhateverGreen and HD630 fixes installed on my EFI.

Any ideas?

Apart from this I can't see anything wrong with my system after a somewhat painful first 5 or 6 hours of feeling lost it has been pretty easy.

I've tested using Cinebench and the results were in line with the same benchmarked CPU. Are there any other tests to check how effective the install has been?

Thanks
Tony

If the same thing is happening whether you use your GT 730 or IGPU, I'm inclined to think that there's a hardware problem with your monitor.

Back