Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Don't mix 'n match different install methods. It will probably cause you more problems than help.

If you are installing with GT 730, the EFI in post #1 should work unless there are compatibility issues with the GT 730.
If you are installing with IGPU only and you are installing Catalina 10.15.0-10.15.4, use the EFI from post #1 and replace the config.plist with the one from post #4.
If you are installing with IGPU only and you are installing Catalina 10.15.5-10.15.6, change ig-platform-id to 3E9B0000.

Everything should work including ethernet.

The GT 710 and 730 are supposed to be the natively supported and very compatible with Catalina according to the collective wisdom on TonyMac. I've started again from scratch but I'm getting caught in loops with lots of restarts...

Thanks
Tony

The GT 710 and 730 are supposed to be the natively supported and very compatible with Catalina according to the collective wisdom on TonyMac. I've started again from scratch but I'm getting caught in loops with lots of restarts...

Thanks
Tony

What version of macOS are you installing? 10.15.0? 10.15.6?

Hi Chef

10.15.6. It's working now and I write to you from the new Hackintosh. 2nd install and LAN works unlike last time. I'm somewhat worried about what might break next but such is life!

Thanks again. I think your EFI might break my setup again. Maybe I need to ditch the GT730 but it's working right now.
Let's see if I can get Multibeast to create a usable EFI setup.
Tony

Hi Chef

10.15.6. It's working now and I write to you from the new Hackintosh. 2nd install and LAN works unlike last time. I'm somewhat worried about what might break next but such is life!

Thanks again. I think your EFI might break my setup again. Maybe I need to ditch the GT730 but it's working right now.
Let's see if I can get Multibeast to create a usable EFI setup.
Tony

There's no reason why the EFI would break anything.

Cinebench score of 2613. That's nearly 3 times faster than my overclocked 2600K setup I'm replacing. And no overclocking as yet.

I'm going to reboot now - wish me luck!
Tony

Hi

I can't get a working EFI on the OS drive. I have to boot with the USB install disk, press space bar and adjust settings. Multibeast created EFI fails, Pastry Chef EFI fails.

Must get some sleep now - I'll work on it tomorrow.

Thanks
Tony

Hi

I can't get a working EFI on the OS drive. I have to boot with the USB install disk, press space bar and adjust settings. Multibeast created EFI fails, Pastry Chef EFI fails.

Must get some sleep now - I'll work on it tomorrow.

Thanks
Tony

Use the same EFI that you used for installation.

Mount the EFI partition of your USB flash drive.
Mount the EFI partition of your main system drive.
Copy the EFI folder from the EFI partition of the USB flash drive to the EFI partition of the main system drive.
Done.

If you can boot from the USB flash drive, there's no reason why you can't boot from the main system drive. The EFI folder is now the same.

Use the same EFI that you used for installation.

Mount the EFI partition of your USB flash drive.
Mount the EFI partition of your main system drive.
Copy the EFI folder from the EFI partition of the USB flash drive to the EFI partition of the main system drive.
Done.

If you can boot from the USB flash drive, there's no reason why you can't boot from the main system drive. The EFI folder is now the same.

Hi Chef

This worked and I also kept experimenting with MultiBeast selections such that it now boots perfectly. Thanks for all your help so far. There are some very minor but annoying graphics glitches. I'll experiment a little more but it's possible that the GT 730 is a false economy despite the native driver in Catalina.

Thanks again - I shall read through the many pages in this thread over the next few weeks to see if there's anything pertinent to my system

Tony

Hoo boy... flashed the BIOS to f9k (beta). Went through the screens and re did my various BIOS settings for the OpenCore install. Restarted. Wouldn't post! No bios screen, no nothing. No video output by either HDMI or DisplayPort (dGPU) or on-board HDMI. I had to reset CMOS and then Qflash it back down to f9g.

Hoo boy... flashed the BIOS to f9k (beta). Went through the screens and re did my various BIOS settings for the OpenCore install. Restarted. Wouldn't post! No bios screen, no nothing. No video output by either HDMI or DisplayPort (dGPU) or on-board HDMI. I had to reset CMOS and then Qflash it back down to f9g.

As I've said, I also got black screen when I first flashed F9k. I had to connect to my TV to see.

Back