Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

First off, I appreciate everybody's work and effort to make this even remotely possible. Insanely awesome what y'all do.

Second, this is my first Hackintosh build and only realized after building the rig (and stumbling on this thread) that the z390M Gaming may not have been the best choice for a toe-dipping first-timer. The reason I'm here on this thread is because I am having the issue wherein at the 12-minute remaining mark of the (second?) install phase, the system restarts.

Here we go:

I created the bootable USB for Catalina 10.14 via the App store and Unibeast 10. I then transferred Multibeast 12 to the USB with all settings left alone. I did not inspect nor mess with anything on the USB drive at this point. Both Unibeast and Multibeast were downloaded from this site yesterday (20-08-06).

I flashed the BIOS to F9k and tried to adjust all settings specified:

View attachment 483246

One thing I have never seen in three BIOS versions (stock F8, F9g, F9k) are any DVMT settings (settings pictured are with F9k active):

View attachment 483250

I tried formatting my 970 EVO as both Extended (Journaled) AND APFS.

Looking at the Clover settings under SMBIOS I see the 'Board Version' is iMac14,2.

All this results in the same eventuality: a restart with 12 minutes remaining:

View attachment 483249

I have picked my way through a number of threads and guides, to no avail, and am finally biting the bullet and directly seeking help by way of this post. If I've done this the wrong way please forgive my ignorance and kindly point me in the right direction.

Thank you so much!

Replace the EFI folder on your USB macOS installer flash drive with the latest Clover EFI from post #1 and try installing again.

Hi all

I've tried both the Nvidia GT 730 and the Intel internal HD630 and I have a weird graphics bug as per the attached image using both GPUs:

View attachment 483248

Grey areas turn black which can be seen here in the Safari tab toolbar. When moving the mouse over these areas the black is painted grey as if one is using Photoshop or MS Paint paint tool brush. I have the WhateverGreen and HD630 fixes installed on my EFI.

Any ideas?

Apart from this I can't see anything wrong with my system after a somewhat painful first 5 or 6 hours of feeling lost it has been pretty easy.

I've tested using Cinebench and the results were in line with the same benchmarked CPU. Are there any other tests to check how effective the install has been?

Thanks
Tony

Try taking a screenshot (not a photo with a camera or cellphone) and look at it from another monitor or phone. If the image is good, the problem is the monitor.

I will do that. Thanks for the response!

I was in your position 48 hours ago and was similarly frustrated but bit by bit it ends up working. I'm not even sure how but eventually my install was bludgeoned into submission and it's working more smoothly after 2 days now than I expected it would before starting at all.

You're in very capable hands with the Chef!

Good luck!
Tony

Try taking a screenshot (not a photo with a camera or cellphone) and look at it from another monitor or phone. If the image is good, the problem is the monitor.

Interesting you say that as I used my phone simply because the screenshots I made did not show the glitching. It seems it's the monitor which I've used with Snow Leopard and El Capitan without issue.

Thanks (again!)
Tony

Interesting you say that as I used my phone simply because the screenshots I made did not show the glitching. It seems it's the monitor which I've used with Snow Leopard and El Capitan without issue.

Thanks (again!)
Tony

Also double check that the monitor cable is good.

Apparently, that tool also creates an SSDT. Make sure it's not installed.
Thanks for that tip — I definitely didn't add an SSDT during the USB mapping process I went through previously. There's one carried over from my original OpenCore setup called SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml , which I believe manages embedded controllers. No idea if that would conflict with the USB Mapped kext you shared...

Last edited:
Thanks for that tip — I definitely didn't add an SSDT during the USB mapping process I went through previously. There's one carried over from my original OpenCore setup called SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml , which I believe manages embedded controllers. No idea if that would conflict with the USB Mapped kext you shared...

Have you tried my EFI folder as-is? It's probably easier trying to fix any problems you encounter with an EFI created for this specific motherboard than to try and fix a generic EFI created for all motherboards...

Have you tried my EFI folder as-is? It's probably easier trying to fix any problems you encounter with an EFI created for this specific motherboard than to try and fix a generic EFI created for all motherboards...
I was just waiting for (my rockin', sexy) Friday evening to roll around so I didn't risk breaking anything in the middle of the work week! That's tonight's project :D

Non-beta BIOS shitty CFG unlock first, then the Pastrychef transplant...

Back