Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I would like to make a new build using GA Z390 Gaming X (ATX version of GA Z390M Gaming). Will the installation process be the same as with GA Z390M Gaming? Thank you!

Are you going to use a discrete graphics card?

If using a discrete graphics card, it should be very similar. You will need to remove my USB 15 port limit fix and do your own. Plus, you will need to make sure the MSR unlock address of your motherboard.

If not using a discrete graphics card, you will need to find out if the motherboard video out connectors need patching and do the patching on your own in addition to the USB 15 port limit fix and finding MSR unlock address.

Damnit! I managed to crash my system messing with Intel Power Gadget after 15 days of uptime...

Strangely my Time Machine icon switched to looking like an internal HDD but maybe that's because it is...
To manually set the icon for Time Machine, open the Get Info window (right-click on it) and drag the attached Icon file to the indicated spot. :)

Attachments

• GenericTimeMachineDiskIcon.icns.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Get Info.png
    Get Info.png
    37 KB · Views: 45
Are you going to use a discrete graphics card?

If using a discrete graphics card, it should be very similar. You will need to remove my USB 15 port limit fix and do your own. Plus, you will need to make sure the MSR unlock address of your motherboard.

If not using a discrete graphics card, you will need to find out if the motherboard video out connectors need patching and do the patching on your own in addition to the USB 15 port limit fix and finding MSR unlock address.

Thank you! I am going with discrete. Can you suggest any other good ATX motherboards? Also I am curious about NVRAM and dual boot with windows. Will it cause problems with NVRAM?

Thank you! I am going with discrete. Can you suggest any other good ATX motherboards? Also I am curious about NVRAM and dual boot with windows. Will it cause problems with NVRAM?

The Z390 Gaming X that you previously mentioned seems pretty good. I don't see any problems with that choice.

NVRAM should work just as well with that motherboard as this one.

The Z390 Gaming X that you previously mentioned seems pretty good. I don't see any problems with that choice.

I know the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X. Only issue is the bifurcation. The Z390 UD has the latest slot that is a x4 and can be used for Thunderbolt 3 while the Gaming X has only only the 2nd PCIe x16 that can be used.

@pastrychef
Do you have experience with issues with DRM and App Store?
I have a Gigabyte board that once you login into the App Store when you try to download a purchased app you get a spinning wheel for some time and then nothing. iTunes doesn't work as well.
Issue with both SMBIOS 19,1 and 18,3. Motherboard Sn, UUID and all the details are filled. The ROm is set to UseMacAddr0.
Do you have ideas how to solve this?

@pastrychef
Do you have experience with issues with DRM and App Store?
I have a Gigabyte board that once you login into the App Store when you try to download a purchased app you get a spinning wheel for some time and then nothing. iTunes doesn't work as well.
Issue with both SMBIOS 19,1 and 18,3. Motherboard Sn, UUID and all the details are filled. The ROm is set to UseMacAddr0.
Do you have ideas how to solve this?

I have never experienced this. DRM works fine when using iMacPro1,1 system definition and App Store works fine regardless of which system definition I use. I use quite a few apps from the App Store and I'm able to use them across all my systems.

This is how my config.plists are configured:
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.22.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 11.22.28 AM.png

Thank you! But what about clover dual boot and NVRAM. Will Windows cause any problems (mb conflicts with mac OS NVRAM and Windows NVRAM) when MSR is unlocked?

Thank you! But what about clover dual boot and NVRAM. Will Windows cause any problems (mb conflicts with mac OS NVRAM and Windows NVRAM) when MSR is unlocked?

Unlocking MSR should have no affect on Windows. Unlocking MSR should only help macOS.

Booting Windows is never a problem since this is all "PC" hardware, after all.

Personally, I usually don't boot Windows through Clover or OpenCore. Usually, I use the BIOS boot menu to boot Windows.

Back