Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Hi pastrychef, tried it and yes, usb3 driver are working fine! :clap: All USB 3 ports, as well as USB-C and USB 3.1 port.

..but I also noticed that sidecar feature stopped working (worked before) tried by wifi and by cable, and more: when I connect my iPad or my iPhone by cable they are not showing in finder at all! I tried various ports and both my cables (one USB-A to lightning and one USB-C to Lightning)

edit (more details):
Sidecar option is visible in settings, and I can see my iPad in AirPlay menu. When I click to connect to it, after a while it says: device is timed out.

edit2:
My iPad disappeared from AirPlay menu, and AirPlay itself is working (to AppleTV) BUT I had to enter pin to connect - never happened before. So I'm starting to think that this connectivity issue may be iCloud related.. something with 'trusting' Mac-hack device?

So many, many thanks to you pastrychef for your time and support!
And maybe still you can try to tweak something to make iPad/iPhone work?

Sidecar stopped working because I changed your system definition from iMac19,1 to iMac18,1. The reason for this is that real iMac19,1s have discrete graphics and iMac18,1 is IGPU only. Since you are using IGPU only, I felt iMac18,1 was a better fit. You can change it back to iMac19,1 if you like, but I don't know how well that will work or what issues may arise.

I don't know why you iPad disappeared. It should not have. There's no configuration in EFI that should affect this.

Entering PIN when you use AirPlay is normal. I think I only did it once.

What's wrong with your iPhone?

Sidecar stopped working because I changed your system definition from iMac19,1 to iMac18,1. The reason for this is that real iMac19,1s have discrete graphics and iMac18,1 is IGPU only. Since you are using IGPU only, I felt iMac18,1 was a better fit. You can change it back to iMac19,1 if you like, but I don't know how well that will work or what issues may arise.

I don't know why you iPad disappeared. It should not have. There's no configuration in EFI that should affect this.

Entering PIN when you use AirPlay is normal. I think I only did it once.

What's wrong with your iPhone?

I'm not sure, but I believe that Sidecar worked on iMac18,1 definition.

Why entering a PIN for AppleTV bothers me is that I didn't have to do that previously (when I got my system working as iMac19,1)

And about iPhone - it's not showing in Finder when connected by cable, same with iPad.

I will get back to 19,1 definition and let you know how it's working!

I'm not sure, but I believe that Sidecar worked on iMac18,1 definition.

Why entering a PIN for AppleTV bothers me is that I didn't have to do that previously (when I got my system working as iMac19,1)

And about iPhone - it's not showing in Finder when connected by cable, same with iPad.

I will get back to 19,1 definition and let you know how it's working!

Sidecar should not work with iMac18,1 because it has a T2. As far as I know, Sidecar only works with iMac19,x because iMac19,xs don't have a T2.

Do you see your iPad and iPhone on System Information > USB?

Sidecar should not work with iMac18,1 because it has a T2. As far as I know, Sidecar only works with iMac19,x because iMac19,xs don't have a T2.

Do you see your iPad and iPhone on System Information > USB?

After changing to iMac19,1 definition Sidecar is working when using cable connection, but only to USB-A port.
Sidecar is not working without cable (and worked wireless before)

When I am connecting iPad to USB-C port there is nothing new in System information -> USB.
When I connect it to USB-A port it shows up, same in Finder: it is now available when using USB-A port.

Maybe it's connected with removing USBInjectAll.kext ?

After changing to iMac19,1 definition Sidecar is working when using cable connection, but only to USB-A port.
Sidecar is not working without cable (and worked wireless before)

When I am connecting iPad to USB-C port there is nothing new in System information -> USB.
When I connect it to USB-A port it shows up, same in Finder: it is now available when using USB-A port.

Maybe it's connected with removing USBInjectAll.kext ?

I don't know of any hackintoshes that work reliably with Sidecar wirelessly. I don't have a Sidecar compatible iPad so this is something you'll have to investigate on your own. My knowledge on the subject is third hand..

USBInjectAll is in your current EFI. All USB ports should be working. Try flipping the cable 180 degrees and plugging it in to the port again, not all USB cables are created equal and not all work in both directions.

Last edited:
I don't know of an hackintoshes that work reliably with Sidecar wirelessly. I don't have a Sidecar compatible iPad so this is something you'll have to investigate on your own. My knowledge on the subject is third hand..

USBInjectAll is in your current EFI. All USB ports should be working. Try flipping the cable 180 degrees and plugging it in to the port again, not all USB cables are created equal and not all work in both directions.

I will investigate Sidecar functionality, by wire and wireless.
At the moment Sidecar is working fine by wire (connected to USB-A).

But more important that USB 3 drives are working! Thank you pastrychef for your support!

Thanks!
I will give it a try.

@pastrychef
Just wanted to thank you for providing us with such a great tutorial: after enabling native NVRAM with your EFI grub tool, I reinstalled Catalina on a fresh ssd using your Clover EFI, customized with my own USB SSDT (instead of SSDT-EC-USBX that I suppose refers to your layout) to fit the layout that I have been using so far. Everything went and is so smooth (I am using as you suggested iMacPro1,1 but IGPU enabled) - will likely disable it as probably wont need it)!
What also strikes me is how fast the hack boots in contrast to my previous build with emulated NVRAM and iMac19,1 sysdef! the difference is simply huge!

maybe 2 questions related to you SSDTs (and apologies if it covered somewhere already):
  • What is SSDT-6-A M I (with power injection) doing? is it related to your radeon VII graphic card?
  • Is SSDT-PMC related to ntive NVRAM?
Again thank you very much! this is awesome.

@pastrychef
Just wanted to thank you for providing us with such a great tutorial: after enabling native NVRAM with your EFI grub tool, I reinstalled Catalina on a fresh ssd using your Clover EFI, customized with my own USB SSDT (instead of SSDT-EC-USBX that I suppose refers to your layout) to fit the layout that I have been using so far. Everything went and is so smooth (I am using as you suggested iMacPro1,1 but IGPU enabled) - will likely disable it as probably wont need it)!
What also strikes me is how fast the hack boots in contrast to my previous build with emulated NVRAM and iMac19,1 sysdef! the difference is simply huge!

maybe 2 questions related to you SSDTs (and apologies if it covered somewhere already):
  • What is SSDT-6-A M I (with power injection) doing? is it related to your radeon VII graphic card?
  • Is SSDT-PMC related to ntive NVRAM?
Again thank you very much! this is awesome.

Put back the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml. That's not the USB port configuration. That's for USB power injection and without it, you may experience problems booting.

SSDT-6-A M I is my USB port configuration. It addresses the 15 port limit.

SSDT-PMC is needed for NVRAM.

Put back the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml. That's not the USB port configuration. That's for USB power injection and without it, you may experience problems booting.

SSDT-6-A M I is my USB port configuration. It addresses the 15 port limit.

SSDT-PMC is needed for NVRAM.

Alright! glad that I asked! thank you very much!

I would like to make a new build using GA Z390 Gaming X (ATX version of GA Z390M Gaming). Will the installation process be the same as with GA Z390M Gaming? Thank you!

Back