Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Thanks, finally got back to F9g via the backup bios. Trying F9k and still getting the same issue as F9j so maybe not BIOS dependent. Initial install works to system drive, then during first boot it keeps halting with a kernel panic. Verbose mode shows it freezing at
"Ethernet [IntelMausi]: No medium selected. Falling back to autonegotiation."
Any ideas what could cause this?

No. I don't know what can cause that. I don't think that can cause kernel panic either.

Just read about the other user having issues with the 5600 XT and am thinking that could be it. It worked fine on my z77 i5-3570k Hackintosh build with Catalina, so assumed it was good after that...

Just read about the other user having issues with the 5600 XT and am thinking that could be it. It worked fine on my z77 i5-3570k Hackintosh build with Catalina, so assumed it was good after that...

The 5600 XT should be fine after you've installed macOS. You might get black screen during installation of macOS.

Your install issues are almost certainly due to the 5600 XT. Just get past the installation and you will be fine.

You can either clone your MacBook drive or do a clean install from your MacBook to the SSD connected via USB. When done, transplant the SSD back to your Hackintosh and it should run fine. Just remember to copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition of the SSD.

If by "vanilla" you mean no hackintosh stuff is install to the macOS partition, you can obviously see that nothing hackintosh related has been installed.

I've never owned a Navi card. I've only read of the troubles others have had with them. But once macOS has been installed, they should run fine.

If Disk Utility is having issues with your SSD, try formatting it in Windows first. Try both FAT32 and NTFS.

Also, the 660 Ti should work fine for the install.

So, i installed Catalina on the drive, this time i was able to format them all (btw, im formatting apfs), installed the efi folder, double checked the bios settings (wanted to make double sure that in my bios I am looking at cfg disabled), I still hang during boot up.- time to look at a verbose report?

I'm using the default 5GB.

View attachment 484621

Ditto.

Also, the only thing that works well for both read and write is my EVO 970. That thing blazes all the time; it's the SP NVMe that I setup as a scratch disk that is annoying me because I archive very large FCPX project files on it but the write speeds are horrible.

The same is true with any USB stick I'm using, except most of the time I just need the read speeds from them because I am migrating and importing raw audio/video files TO my EVO 970.

The whole thing is odd. I did test my SP NVMe on a second Windows rig before installing it in my macOS rig and the speeds were just about on point for its specs.

So, i installed Catalina on the drive, this time i was able to format them all (btw, im formatting apfs), installed the efi folder, double checked the bios settings (wanted to make double sure that in my bios I am looking at cfg disabled), I still hang during boot up.- time to look at a verbose report?

Yes, please boot in verbose mode and post a picture of where it gets stuck.

Ditto.

Also, the only thing that works well for both read and write is my EVO 970. That thing blazes all the time; it's the SP NVMe that I setup as a scratch disk that is annoying me because I archive very large FCPX project files on it but the write speeds are horrible.

The same is true with any USB stick I'm using, except most of the time I just need the read speeds from them because I am migrating and importing raw audio/video files TO my EVO 970.

The whole thing is odd. I did test my SP NVMe on a second Windows rig before installing it in my macOS rig and the speeds were just about on point for its specs.

It could be just a firmware incompatibility issue with the SP NVMe. The Samsung 970 EVO Plus used to crash macOS just being installed and doing nothing.

It could be just a firmware incompatibility issue with the SP NVMe. The Samsung 970 EVO Plus used to crash macOS just being installed and doing nothing.

Does it matter how it's formatted? I went with APFS, but am wondering if Extended Journal would somehow be better?

Here's a thought ... What format is your EFI partition in? You mention everything being APFS ...

Scratch that - it looks like you are starting to boot :thumbup: (See below)

Attachments

• screenboot.jpg
    screenboot.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 46
Back