Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R F5 Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
No prob - the ram speed set at bios level - no matter what OS-X reports - if its set at 1600 in the bios - its running at that speed. You can use OSX86 tools to change the info in About My Mac and/or adjust the smbios.plist to get it more accurate in system info - but theres not technical reason to do so.

But yeah - always share anything - All I did was join some dots and share my results and this seems to be the best thread around for our mobos.

thanks, appreciate the reply.

I'll update the system info and yes, the Bios has the RAM set to 1600. Guess I'm good to go then :)
I'm now turning this machine into my daily workstation. I had planned to go to win7 having had an iMac up to now but cannot put up with some Windows apps, they are just awful. So happy to be back on OSX, and now with good horsepower.
Last task for me will be to move OSX onto my SSD drive which is currently still hogged by win7. If the speed at which win7 launches is anything to go by then OSX will be smoking on it. Currently Photoshop CS5 on win7 launches in less than 5 secs... so if anyone has any doubts about getting an SSD drive I say do not hesitate, the speed is insane. Browsers launch almost instantly (and even now on my normal HDD Safari only does one bounce, not sure how I'll cut that any further ;-).

Again, thanks for posting those files, very helpful.

Stefan

Has anyone had any luck with complete DSDT functionality?

I'm pulling my hair out over this ****, because everytime I try to compile I'm getting issues.
Here's my hardware:

GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 1.0
i7 930
6 gb 1600 mhz corsair triple channel memory
Highpoint Rocket Raid 620
2x Kingston SSD V NOW 64 GB solidstate HD's In a raid stripe
1TB Western Digital Black
EVGA Geforce 9500 GT 1024 MB version

I've got a couple issues that I've been working meticulously to fix:

Sleep/Restart/Speedstep without additional kext

and I have a MI4 (Steinberg Media Interface 4) that seems to only want to work with the latest iboot disc. I followed the original installation guide verbatim, and I still can't seem to get it together. I will however say that the highpoint raid card with the SSD's work great minus the fact that sometimes when i reboot, one is missing, and I just think that's an issue I'll probably end up taking up with fry's(godd some of their sales associates don't know a damned thing).

Anyone have any ideas that could help me? Maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

I successfully had it running with native power management in 10.6.3 but was getting KPs unless I forced boot into 32bit mode. If you figure out a 64bit method - do share.

nexuz6 said:
pdime said:
lotech said:
Use my extras folder from this post - viewtopic.php?p=23239#p23239. It's for a UD3R with a i7 930.

Can I use that with an i7 920?

Any differences in anything from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4? Can someone sum this up? Or revise the guide assuming a fresh install of 10.6.4? Please :mrgreen: I am seeing changes regarding sleep/sound..

Again requesting a DSDT that disables "C1E CPU Enhanced Halt" as to prevent electrical noises coming from the motherboard.

You dont want to use the nullcpupowermanagement.kext I wrote earlier?

Use it together with your dsdt and the noise is gone. Anywho.. thats what I use and I am very happy with that. No noise.

I missed your post. Anyway I tried installing nullcpupowermanagement from multibeast and... it worked! No more noise! Thanks for mentioning the fix. :thumbup:

HOWEVER, now wake from sleep does not work! :thumbdown:

Still hoping to see a definitive guide for this motherboard.

Alright I installed GA-X58A-UD3R.i7.930.Extra.Folder.V3.zip (on my 920) ... no noise, wakes from sleep! :headbang: Had to delete AppleHDA.kext after 10.6.4 update.

Wondering about:
1. 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No (do I edit something to tell it to boot to 64bit? looks like this must be forced for now)
2. Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon (assuming this doesn't matter)
3. Orange eject-able drives (maybe I just swap out my ATA driver)

Man so relieved that ****ing noise is gone!

pdime said:
Man so relieved that ****ing noise is gone!
Hehe... I know the feeling. I make music so it was kind of important to get rid of the noise :)

Ive been trying to use this method to install SL on my build but everytime I click on the " Mac OS X Install" cd to begin installation, i get a high pitch sound and all of my fans rev up to a relle high rpm. what am i doing wrong?

angelnieves said:
Ive been trying to use this method to install SL on my build but everytime I click on the " Mac OS X Install" cd to begin installation, i get a high pitch sound and all of my fans rev up to a relle high rpm. what am i doing wrong?

Judging by your sig, you're using an ATI Radeon HD R5770 Hawk.

Black Screen + 100% GPU Fan, you're experiencing is a very common issue with 5xxx cards.

Here is the Solution: EXPERIMENTAL - iBoot ATI 5xxx - Need testers!

Confirmed Working:
HD 5750
HD 5770
HD 5850

Please Test with Experimental iBoot ATI 5xxx.
Public/iBoot-ATI-5xxx-2.iso.zip

Post in the EXPERIMENTAL - iBoot ATI 5xxx - Need testers! thread, if you have any issues.

Goodluck :thumbup:

Hacktivist said:
angelnieves said:

Judging by your sig, you're using an ATI Radeon HD R5770 Hawk.

Black Screen + 100% GPU Fan, you're experiencing is a very common issue with 5xxx cards.

Here is the Solution: EXPERIMENTAL - iBoot ATI 5xxx - Need testers!

Confirmed Working:
HD 5750

thanks! i will try this out and letchu know how it goes.
HD 5770
HD 5850

Please Test with Experimental iBoot ATI 5xxx.
Public/iBoot-ATI-5xxx-2.iso.zip

Post in the EXPERIMENTAL - iBoot ATI 5xxx - Need testers! thread, if you have any issues.

Goodluck :thumbup:

Thanks! I will try this out, and letchu know how it goes.

Alright I was able to install snow leopard, but i can get it to boot without the iBoot disk. Without the iboot disk my gpu fans rev up and shutdown system. With the iboot disk it starts up with np. I was also wondering where can i get some kexts for my gpu, networking, and sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back