Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R F5 Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
nexuz6 said:
pdime said:
Extremely off topic, but does anyone get a lot of noise out of this motherboard?

If I have CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) enabled in bios (M.I.T. > advanced), which is by default enabled, the motherboard itself makes a high-pitched racket... it sounds very much like a hard drive (but isn't).

Same thing happens if I have C3/C6/C7 State Support enabled in bios.

I was thinking about RMAing this motherboard but it turns out this is a very common problem!
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... #r22992186
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=244186

Any thoughts on what I lose if C1E is disabled? I contacted Giganews and they didn't know what's up. The sound being emitted is irritating. :thumbdown:

hmm.. actually with grom's DSDT it seems as if it forces C1E enabled and bypasses the bios, as the sound is emitted either way (i can easily reproduce the difference in windows).. maybe i am being retarded

I am currently suffering from this problem as well.

Did you find any solution?

I also tried to disable C1E, disable C3/C6/C7 State and Load line calibration = Standard.

But no luck.

The most active discussion regarding this is going on here:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/ ... 426.0.html

The only solution is to disable C1E and C3/C6/C7. It probably does not appear to be working for you because you are using a DSDT, which seems to override BIOS settings like this one. I dual boot with Windows, and do not have the problem in Windows.

Again I request that someone explains how to modify the DSDT as to disable C1E CPU Enhanced Halt. Thanks.

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard for the first time, and cannot get the initial installation to go through; I believe it has to do with my GTX 470. Using iBoot, the bootloader displayed that Nvidia ROM patching failed. From there the Apple screen comes up, like installation is about to commence, then I get a window saying to power off my computer. I've triple checked my BIOS settings to make sure they are properly set.

Any ideas? I'm about at the end of my rope.

System Specs:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard
Intel Core i7 930
Nvidia GTX 470
Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM 4GB
WD 1.5 TB HDD

pdime said:
nexuz6 said:
pdime said:
Extremely off topic, but does anyone get a lot of noise out of this motherboard?

If I have CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) enabled in bios (M.I.T. > advanced), which is by default enabled, the motherboard itself makes a high-pitched racket... it sounds very much like a hard drive (but isn't).

Same thing happens if I have C3/C6/C7 State Support enabled in bios.

I was thinking about RMAing this motherboard but it turns out this is a very common problem!
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... #r22992186
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=244186

Any thoughts on what I lose if C1E is disabled? I contacted Giganews and they didn't know what's up. The sound being emitted is irritating. :thumbdown:

hmm.. actually with grom's DSDT it seems as if it forces C1E enabled and bypasses the bios, as the sound is emitted either way (i can easily reproduce the difference in windows).. maybe i am being retarded

I am currently suffering from this problem as well.

Did you find any solution?

I also tried to disable C1E, disable C3/C6/C7 State and Load line calibration = Standard.

But no luck.

The most active discussion regarding this is going on here:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/ ... 426.0.html

The only solution is to disable C1E and C3/C6/C7. It probably does not appear to be working for you because you are using a DSDT, which seems to override BIOS settings like this one. I dual boot with Windows, and do not have the problem in Windows.

Again I request that someone explains how to modify the DSDT as to disable C1E CPU Enhanced Halt. Thanks.

I spent endless hours messing around with all sorts of stuff. Upgrading the MB's bios for a unreleased version that should fix the anoying sound. Making my own DSDT with all disabled C1E, C-States (that stil did not fix it) and so on... but in the end all that i had to do was to put the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in the /Extra/Extensions/ folder :)

Now the noise is gone.

Enigma789 said:
I'm trying to install Snow Leopard for the first time, and cannot get the initial installation to go through; I believe it has to do with my GTX 470. Using iBoot, the bootloader displayed that Nvidia ROM patching failed. From there the Apple screen comes up, like installation is about to commence, then I get a window saying to power off my computer. I've triple checked my BIOS settings to make sure they are properly set.

System Specs:
Intel Core i7 930
Nvidia GTX 470
WD 1.5 TB HDD

I know how you feel buddy. I faffed around with a GTS250 for 2 solid weeks before biting the bullet and buying a cheap card (9500GT) just to see if it made a difference. I was up and running in a couple of hours. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Full res on an Apple Cinema 30", QE etc, sound, dual boot to W7. Only thing that does not work is my apple keyboard (wired silver thin one). This was another cause of grief early on until I borrowed an crappy old PS2 KB from the IT guy at work. I was using one of the logitech Unifying mice so I bought a companion keyboard (K350) and it's great, even though it's wireless it controls the boot sequence so no need for an extra keyboard hung off the back of the machine. It has volume controls and an eject button! Gold.

My advice, Buy/beg/borrow/steal a graphics enabler supported card, don't use any other graphics kexts AT ALL and get your system working. ONLY then try your good card, DSDTs and all that witchcraft to streamline the system. For me, I am happy to let sleeping dogs lie.(Having said that I'd be interested to hear how Nexuz6 got his GTS250 running).

No confusing DSDTs, no NVenabler, just graphics enabler, the standard kexts plus a specific version of Voodooho (Google it or I can tell you when I am in front of my machine). I'll wait until someone has an idiot proof solution for a quality gfx card before upgrading.

trashcanmike said:
Only thing that does not work is my apple keyboard (wired silver thin one). This was another cause of grief early on until I borrowed an crappy old PS2 KB from the IT guy at work. I was using one of the logitech Unifying mice so I bought a companion keyboard (K350) and it's great, even though it's wireless it controls the boot sequence so no need for an extra keyboard hung off the back of the machine. It has volume controls and an eject button! Gold.

Strange I'm using an aluminium Apple keyboard without issues - works in BIOS, Chameleon and OS-X/Win7.

Many people are and many are not. Maybe small differences between models. Another thing I read somewhere is that it depends on what else you have plugged into the other usb ports. For me, if I plug it in after I am in OSX it is fine but if it is attached when I power up, the whole machine halts at the BIOS splash screen. Go Figure.

trashcanmike said:
Enigma789 said:

System Specs:
Intel Core i7 930
Nvidia GTX 470
WD 1.5 TB HDD

I know how you feel buddy. I faffed around with a GTS250 for 2 solid weeks before biting the bullet and buying a cheap card (9500GT) just to see if it made a difference. I was up and running in a couple of hours. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Full res on an Apple Cinema 30", QE etc, sound, dual boot to W7. Only thing that does not work is my apple keyboard (wired silver thin one). This was another cause of grief early on until I borrowed an crappy old PS2 KB from the IT guy at work. I was using one of the logitech Unifying mice so I bought a companion keyboard (K350) and it's great, even though it's wireless it controls the boot sequence so no need for an extra keyboard hung off the back of the machine. It has volume controls and an eject button! Gold.

My advice, Buy/beg/borrow/steal a graphics enabler supported card, don't use any other graphics kexts AT ALL and get your system working. ONLY then try your good card, DSDTs and all that witchcraft to streamline the system. For me, I am happy to let sleeping dogs lie.(Having said that I'd be interested to hear how Nexuz6 got his GTS250 running).

No confusing DSDTs, no NVenabler, just graphics enabler, the standard kexts plus a specific version of Voodooho (Google it or I can tell you when I am in front of my machine). I'll wait until someone has an idiot proof solution for a quality gfx card before upgrading.

Just yesterday I decided to just buy a cheap 7300 GT just to get my machine up and running. Luckily it was only $20 but still a pain to have to go through.

Thanks for the advice though. Here's hoping it works!

I hope someone can help me. All I'm getting is "DISK BOOT FAILURE". The iBoot CD was loading up just fine this morning but I couldn't control it with my aluminum keyboard. Now I have a Dell USB keyboard and it's being a total PITA. I've followed all the BIOS settings. Am I gonna have to find a PS/2 keyboard now to please this thing?

Today I updated my hackintosh from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4, and I'm happy to report that the sleep issues have completely disappeared! :) Also, I didn't have to touch any kexts - the updated worked fine.
Now I just have to fix the sound, which stopped working :lol:
Haven't had time to play with it, but I'll give it a shot soon.

Grom,
Thanks for the install guide. The only way I could get sound to work was with VoodooHDA-0.2.56

There is a thread out there somewhere on it. I am sure there is a more elegant solution but I figure if all else fails.......

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back