Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-I Plus
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
[SOLVED] Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - HD5570 - Simply will not boot into Unibeast USB Key

I purchased a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro to replace an old 64GB Vertex 2 and decided this would be a good time to try to upgrade my Hackintosh to Mavericks.

I followed the steps exactly to create a Unibeast USB Key installer (also reset BIOS to optimised settings, set to AHCI etc), and tried multiple times with two USB keys. Also put the exact DSDT file in /Extra on the USB key.

At first, the system kept hanging at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data...'

Then I went into the BIOS and turned off 'USB Storage Mode' and the system would then say: 'DISK BOOT FAILURE...'

I rearranged the Boot order, also used F12 to select the USB directly, no luck.

Then I unplugged all the other SATA devices (except the new Samsung SSD), same thing.

I reenabled 'USB Storage Mode' and then finally got to the screen with the Unibeast logo and the 'USB' selection, but then it was just frozen there, hitting enter or any keys on the keyboard did nothing.

Does anyone have -any- idea what to do? I'm really at a total loss here.

I've now tried using super duper to clone my vertex to the Samsung, and now booting into that doesn't seem to work?? (The old SSD still boots perfectly) and was able to boot into my old install with the Samsung attached (so I could clone it).

OK, well the 'Verifing DMI Pool...' issue was solved by reinstalling the boot loader on the cloned drive, but still doesn't solve the other issues.

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R 1.6 - HD5570 - Simply will not boot into Unibeast USB Key

OK, well I finally figured this out, I will post what I learned here in case it helps anyone else.

Issue 1: "Detecting DRAM Size" Reboot
This only started occurring after I updated my BIOS from FI upward (FJ, FK etc). The system would constantly reboot after displaying this message (after Verifying DMI Pool...)

I took out all my RAM and realised I had put one stick in the blue slot. I blew out all the dust, reseated the RAM and this no longer occurs.

Issue 2: "Verifying DMI Pool..." for USB Unibeast Installer Boot
I realised that when I cloned the first USB key to the other, the boot sector had not been installed. I cloned instead of making a new key because the only other computer I had around was on Mavericks, and I was unable to download it from the app store (due to the retina version). However, I managed to plugin my old SSD, reboot and download Mavericks again. I made a new 8g Key (vs. the old OCZ rally 32g) and the install went flawlessly, everything works perfectly.

Issue 3: "Multibeast" Can't be opened. You should move it to the trash.
Is a permissions issue, used Terminal to 'sudo ./Multibeast' after cd (wherever Multibeast is)/Multibeast.app/Contents/MacOS/

Issue 4: No Audio/Network etc
I used the EX58-UD3R 1.6 FK DSDT from tonymac, and also included:
- Drivers: Audio - Realtek ALCxxx - With DSDT - ALC888 Legacy v100202
- Drivers: Network - Realtek - Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back