gigabyte z68ma-d2h-b3
CPU
i5 2500K
Graphics
embedded hd3000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Hi there,

I built my machine about 3.5 years back and after spending a day or so configuring it, I haven't had a problem. Thanks again to all the people here who helped me!

Below is the build I put together in 2013:
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
i5 2500K
Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD (OS/Apps)
Seagate 1TB hard drive (internal)
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2
Lion 10.7.3

Recently, I've had problems starting the machine. When I power on, I get up to the first BIOS loading screen but it goes no further. The keyboard and mouse power on (at least the tracking laser turns on) but are unresponsive, I've tried getting into the BIOS settings page, boot from USB, etc., but no good. This problem started intermittently, but I haven't been able to turn the machine on in over a week now.

I've tried a few troubleshoots from Gigabyte - unplugging the power supply for a couple of minutes and then restarting (nope) and replacing the battery on the motherboard (also no good). From reading online looks like it's either the motherboard or power supply.

My questions to people far better at this than me:
* Is there a way to isolate whether it's the power supply or mobo without having a spare power supply?
* Given the mobo is no longer in circulation, is there a more recent build I can use with my other components?
* Most important asset are the photos and files on my disk hard drive - is there a way to access those from another Mac?

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 133
First thing you want to do is to disconnect the keyboard, the mouse, all the disk drives and remove the video card. Then connect the AC power cord and press the power on button. Heck, while you're in there disconnect any aduio cables and USB cables from the mobo headers. Then power it up. If that doesn't work remove all the RAM but one stick. If that doesn't work remove the AC cord and swap the RAM stick. And while the AC cord is disconnected reset the BIOS either through a jumper, a switch or shorting out two pins. See your motherboard manual, "Resetting the BIOS".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back