Contribute
Register

Gigabyte B550 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + AMD RX 5600 XT

Okay, so the strangest thing has happened to me updating from 13.2.1 to 13.3.1 today. I installed the AMD CPU patches in the Kernel section, and went to update via Software Update. It failed the 2gb update, but the 11gb version worked.

Now this is where stuff gets strange.

Minor issue: The system has set itself to boot directly into my user account, instead of having me type in my password. That can be set back, but it is very strange.

Bigger issue: The screen flickers on/off, on/off, on/off for something close to 3-4 minutes, before I land on the desktop. I have never experienced anything like that.

Biggest/major issue: all my drives apart from the boot drive are gone. I had a 2TB HFS+ storage drive, and 1 TB exFat storage drive for use between Windows and Mac (I dual boot). The drives are simply not present. The 1TB NVMe that I boot Windows from showed up, but has now also disappeared, without me doing anything.

Sometimes in Disk Utility one drive shows up, but I can't be mounted, and I can't mount it in Terminal.

However using a free trial of Macdrive in Windows, I was able to see the drives an make sure that they still contain the data and are working.

What could this be?

Last edited:
Okay, so the strangest thing has happened to me updating from 13.2.1 to 13.3.1 today. I installed the AMD CPU patches in the Kernel section, and went to update via Software Update. It failed the 2gb update, but the 11gb version worked.

Now this is where stuff gets strange.

Minor issue: The system has set itself to boot directly into my user account, instead of having me type in my password. That can be set back, but it is very strange.

Bigger issue: The screen flickers on/off, on/off, on/off for something close to 3-4 minutes, before I land on the desktop. I have never experienced anything like that.

Biggest/major issue: all my drives apart from the boot drive are gone. I had a 2TB HFS+ storage drive, and 1 TB exFat storage drive for use between Windows and Mac (I dual boot). The drives are simply not present. The 1TB NVMe that I boot Windows from showed up, but has now also disappeared, without me doing anything.

Sometimes in Disk Utility one drive shows up, but I can't be mounted, and I can't mount it in Terminal.

However using a free trial of Macdrive in Windows, I was able to see the drives an make sure that they still contain the data and are working.

What could this be?
This is all quite strange. Suggestion:
  • Create a new APFS Volume using Disk Utility or attach a spare SSD
  • Install Ventura 13.3.1 from scratch on the new Volume or SSD using the same EFI folder you’re using now
  • Boot the new Ventura installation and check if everything is fine (no screen blanking, all drives appearing)
  • Let’s get to this point then decide what to do next

This is all quite strange. Suggestion:
  • Create a new APFS Volume using Disk Utility or attach a spare SSD
  • Install Ventura 13.3.1 from scratch on the new Volume or SSD using the same EFI folder you’re using now
  • Boot the new Ventura installation and check if everything is fine (no screen blanking, all drives appearing)
  • Let’s get to this point then decide what to do next
Yes it is, in my 7 years of Hackintosh'ing, I've never experienced this. It was rock solid at 13.2.1. I will have to find another ssd drive.. but it is late here, but do you mind me posting my config.plist from 13.2.1 and 13.3.1 here?

Yes it is, in my 7 years of Hackintosh'ing, I've never experienced this. It was rock solid at 13.2.1. I will have to find another ssd drive.. but it is late here, but do you mind me posting my config.plist from 13.2.1 and 13.3.1 here?
Feel free post config.plist with serial numbers removed.

Here they are. The new config.plist named 13.3.1 another named 13.2.1 and an older version that worked yesterday on an USB drive. The 13.2.1 is without the new CPU patches. All have removed serials. Do note that the bootflags are what makes DRM work in Apple TV and Netflix for me.

I just noticed that after the screen blinking back and forth, that it jumped back to the Apple logo for a split second and loaded itself through.

Also, I forgot to mention this, just after updating it crashed at the login screen. What made this even more strange was that it was overlaid over the Apple logo boot screen. Like the login screen with my username was at 80% opaque and 20% transparent over the boot screen in a "lower layer". I had to hard reset it. The mouse cursor worked but nothing else. And then, when I rebooted it went straight to desktop past the login screen which was now disabled.

Attachments

• config plists.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Here they are. The new config.plist named 13.3.1 another named 13.2.1 and an older version that worked yesterday on an USB drive. The 13.2.1 is without the new CPU patches. All have removed serials. Do note that the bootflags are what makes DRM work in Apple TV and Netflix for me.

I just noticed that after the screen blinking back and forth, that it jumped back to the Apple logo for a split second and loaded itself through.

Also, I forgot to mention this, just after updating it crashed at the login screen. What made this even more strange was that it was overlaid over the Apple logo boot screen. Like the login screen with my username was at 80% opaque and 20% transparent over the boot screen in a "lower layer". I had to hard reset it. The mouse cursor worked but nothing else. And then, when I rebooted it went straight to desktop past the login screen which was now disabled.
Also, when booting it varies how fast it loads OS X, but still doesn't detect the drives I use.

And it is on/off if it detects the Windows NVMe and a Windows storage drive I also have (Yep I know, many drives).

Last edited:
After further digging, could it be related to ACHI patching? Like this:

"Took me forever to find out how to fix this for my Lynnfield build

Kext Patch:
Name: AppleAHCIPort
Find: 40600200
Replace: 00000000"

Small thread

@basak,

Here are some thoughts and suggestions:
  • In BIOS, are all SATA ports set to AHCI (they need to be)?
  • Is Windows also installed on this computer? If so, were the Intel Optane drivers installed? Those drivers can cause problems with macOS
  • Regarding all of the drives that don't show up in macOS, are they (a) all NVMe, (b) all SATA, (c) mix of NVMe and SATA?
  • Have you tried the AppleAHCIPort patch shown in your post above?
  • It is easy to create a new APFS Volume on an existing APFS SSD by using Disk Utility. We can then do a fresh install of macOS Ventura in that new volume
    • But make a full bootable backup of the existing SSD first

Some comments about your config.plist:
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 8.24.43 AM.png

@basak,

Here are some thoughts and suggestions:
  • In BIOS, are all SATA ports set to AHCI (they need to be)?
  • Is Windows also installed on this computer? If so, were the Intel Optane drivers installed? Those drivers can cause problems with macOS
  • Regarding all of the drives that don't show up in macOS, are they (a) all NVMe, (b) all SATA, (c) mix of NVMe and SATA?
  • Have you tried the AppleAHCIPort patch shown in your post above?
  • It is easy to create a new APFS Volume on an existing APFS SSD by using Disk Utility. We can then do a fresh install of macOS Ventura in that new volume
    • But make a full bootable backup of the existing SSD first
Before I do a fresh install:

1. Yes, there is no other way to setup the SATA ports.
2. No optane drivers installed.
3. The drives that do not show up are all SATA (two 4TB HDD and one SSD). Well one time my Windows NVMe didn't show up, but it more or less always does.
3. No, I was unsure if it would work on my system since it is a different architecture, but I will give it a shot.
4. Will do that

Back