3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This has been a very frustrating experience. First, a bit about myself — I've been building tons of Hackintoshes for myself and friends for many years on a number of motherboards and CPU's so I wouldn't describe myself as a noob at this.

I assumed that updating to the recommended components from TonyMac would be the safest bet, but there is no guide or golden build which uses the recommended Gigabyte AORUS Gaming WIFI motherboard and the 8700k CPU anywhere to be found.

Since the AORUS Gaming WIFI BIOS is slightly different than any other Gigabyte BIOS I have encountered it presents some special challenges, for instance the "Set OS Type to Other OS" option doesn't seem to be present at all.

To add more complexity, the latest OS 10.13.4 installer does not quite behave the same way as previous installers and has a tendency to restarting the computer several times making the process more stressful as one is not sure if it's actually working as expected or if something went wrong somewhere along the way.

All in all I feel that the TonyMac guide could use some updating, starting from how to make sure that Disk Utility is formatting with a proper GUID partition (not particularly clear to someone who doesn't know where to find such an option), to the fact that for most of us, installing fresh on an SSD or M.2 drive will require an APFS setting.

They're small issues, but cumulatively they have caused me a great deal of confusion through this process, and more than a couple of sheer panic moments.

I'm planning on doing a build guide based on this combo of motherboard and CPU since there doesn't seem to be one (the closest one I could find uses the AORUS Ultra Gaming which has a slightly different BIOS).

You could try my guide here which is an Asus Z370 using a 8700. In my experience Asus boards do work similar to each other > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sung-1tb-960-evo-nvme-nvidia-gtx-1050.249402/

I've forgotten to add this to the guide, but remember to also check Plugin Type on the ACPI, and remove any DSDTs, as this is only what's needed for Coffee Lake chips.

For the installer I've found using Tonymac's HFS+ script in Terminal prior to the install has helped. I'm still not convinced APFS does anything good. HFS+ is tried and tested, so I'll go with the tried and tested route.

Also once the first set of installer finishes, you just have to make sure to select it at Clover bootup. It will run, probably twice. If in doubt just use verbose and/or slide=0 to get through the install.

You could try my guide here which is an Asus Z370 using a 8700. In my experience Asus boards do work similar to each other > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sung-1tb-960-evo-nvme-nvidia-gtx-1050.249402/

I've forgotten to add this to the guide, but remember to also check Plugin Type on the ACPI, and remove any DSDTs, as this is only what's needed for Coffee Lake chips.

For the installer I've found using Tonymac's HFS+ script in Terminal prior to the install has helped. I'm still not convinced APFS does anything good. HFS+ is tried and tested, so I'll go with the tried and tested route.

Also once the first set of installer finishes, you just have to make sure to select it at Clover bootup. It will run, probably twice. If in doubt just use verbose and/or slide=0 to get through the install.
I checked the Asus post but it didn't work.. please make a installation guide for GIGABYTE AORUS GAMING WIFI +I7 8700k + RADEON RX 560..... I'm using sata hdd ti install it on.

This has been a very frustrating experience. First, a bit about myself — I've been building tons of Hackintoshes for myself and friends for many years on a number of motherboards and CPU's so I wouldn't describe myself as a noob at this.

I assumed that updating to the recommended components from TonyMac would be the safest bet, but there is no guide or golden build which uses the recommended Gigabyte AORUS Gaming WIFI motherboard and the 8700k CPU anywhere to be found.

Since the AORUS Gaming WIFI BIOS is slightly different than any other Gigabyte BIOS I have encountered it presents some special challenges, for instance the "Set OS Type to Other OS" option doesn't seem to be present at all.

To add more complexity, the latest OS 10.13.4 installer does not quite behave the same way as previous installers and has a tendency to restarting the computer several times making the process more stressful as one is not sure if it's actually working as expected or if something went wrong somewhere along the way.

All in all I feel that the TonyMac guide could use some updating, starting from how to make sure that Disk Utility is formatting with a proper GUID partition (not particularly clear to someone who doesn't know where to find such an option), to the fact that for most of us, installing fresh on an SSD or M.2 drive will require an APFS setting.

They're small issues, but cumulatively they have caused me a great deal of confusion through this process, and more than a couple of sheer panic moments.

I'm planning on doing a build guide based on this combo of motherboard and CPU since there doesn't seem to be one (the closest one I could find uses the AORUS Ultra Gaming which has a slightly different BIOS).
hey man, did you managed to get everything working with this mobo? I'm looking at buying one of these because it's the only one I could find that supports Thunderbold AIC + Has a Wifi slot to replace with the Macbook Air card

Thanks!

bump, having exactly the same problem! anyone have any ideas on this???

Having the same exact issues here. Running a Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming Wifi W/ 8700 - I've also worked on a fair amount of hackintoshes and I'm at a loss.

Did you figure out how to work around this funky BIOS? The repeated installation restarts have caused me a lot of frustration. Also, I'm wondering if the missing option of "Set OS Type" is the culprit.

I'll post any updates/fixes I may find. Thanks for any help in advance as well.

I am using this Mother board as well, as it seemed like the best option and had WiFI built in and was included in the Buyer's guide section. I have created the Unibeast drive. The first time I ran it I got the OSX installer running, but failed after a reboot so I started the process up again. This time I can't seem to get it to initially boot off the USB thumb drive now. Strange. I read someone had to use their SSD and trick unibeast to use a small partition on it to do the install, but since I had it initially install I have to assume that shouldn't be required.

When I get the boot option, which device should I be using since Unibeast creates two partitions on the thumb drive?

Was hoping to get this going before Christmas for the wife. Though, I may end up installing Windows on it at the moment and then get it going and wrapped and then work on the Hackintosh portion afterwards if I can't figure it out by then.

I actually got everything installed on my Computer and I am not working on MultiBeast to hopefully get the Sound and WiFi working. Apparently, I didn't follow the initial installation process right. I wasn't waiting after the first install and selecting the new HFS to do the install, and then after the follow on reboots to select the HFS to Run OSX. The Ethernet Networking is working, but not WiFI and have to tweak some things to hopefully get the audio working.

Hoping there is a KEXT Out there for the Intel WiFI. However, I read in another thread that may not be an issue, which is a bummer since I went with the WiFi built into the board. Guess I will be going with a PCI WiFI Card, that may have Blue Tooth as well.

I actually got everything installed on my Computer and I am not working on MultiBeast to hopefully get the Sound and WiFi working. Apparently, I didn't follow the initial installation process right. I wasn't waiting after the first install and selecting the new HFS to do the install, and then after the follow on reboots to select the HFS to Run OSX. The Ethernet Networking is working, but not WiFI and have to tweak some things to hopefully get the audio working.

Hoping there is a KEXT Out there for the Intel WiFI. However, I read in another thread that may not be an issue, which is a bummer since I went with the WiFi built into the board. Guess I will be going with a PCI WiFI Card, that may have Blue Tooth as well.

You need to change out the WiFi module Intel WiFi not supported). I have a Gigabyte X470 gaming 5 WiFi (not supported on this site) and I switched the module out and it works. I think I used a Dell 1550 WiFi card $20 on eBay. You have to remove the IOports shroud to get to the module. If you do this you can use the pcie slot for a graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back