1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I noticed that on the buying guide it ALWAYS lists Gigabyte boards but when I open up the whole board list I see Asus boards. Are Gigabyte boards better suited to a hackintosh? Online search shows me that for Windows machines it makes no difference, just a personal preference of buyers.

Asking because Gigabyte boards are hard to get or very expensive here in Japan. Asus boards (called Asustek here) are everywhere.

I noticed that on the buying guide it ALWAYS lists Gigabyte boards but when I open up the whole board list I see Asus boards. Are Gigabyte boards better suited to a hackintosh? Online search shows me that for Windows machines it makes no difference, just a personal preference of buyers.

Asking because Gigabyte boards are hard to get or very expensive here in Japan. Asus boards (called Asustek here) are everywhere.
Gigabyte boards have a history of the BIOS being very friendly to OS X. With UEFI and Clover patching "on-the-fly" this is less important than it was. Asus makes good boards also, as do Asrock and MSI (although Asus support is lacking IMHO compared to Gigabyte or MSI). I have used all of them at one time or another and find little difference in ease of use since the 7 series Ivy Bridge boards. I have MSI and Asus Z77 and Z87 builds that are working fine, along with the Asrock X99 build. The last Gigabyte board I used was the X58A in my sig.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm looking at the Z170 boards. Stick an i5 6600 on that and a decent graphics card. I have a 2011 iMac right now and while the ssd upgrade helped in getting annoyed with the crappy graphics performance and new iMacs feel like a step backwards. Hackintosh it is!

(...)

Are you sure? Both companies are in Japan. Amazon.jp sells both brands.

For example, a Gigabyte z170x-ud5 is ¥21,543 and an Asustek z170 Pro Gaming is ¥23,817. A Gigabyte ga-z170x-ud3 is only ¥14,980.

The Gigabyte ud5 is available from another Japanese vendor (https://www.pc-koubou.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=575067) for ¥18,990

Are you sure? Both companies are in Japan. Amazon.jp sells both brands.
For example, a Gigabyte z170x-ud5 is ¥21,543 and an Asustek z170 Pro Gaming is ¥23,817. A Gigabyte ga-z170x-ud3 is only ¥14,980.

I was just looking at the two top boards at customac matx, thinking they were there because tonymac thought they were the best suited. Reading the forums I have come to realize that other boards are fine too. The GA-Z170m-D3H cost 99 bucks on Amazon US but 15000 yen on JP which is 150 bucks. I found a similar ASUS board for 11000 yen at another vendor.

Btw, I noticed that the DDR3 boards have a big price cut. Is there a huge performance difference? Saving 60 bucks sounds tempting.

Btw, I noticed that the DDR3 boards have a big price cut. Is there a huge performance difference? Saving 60 bucks sounds tempting.

Very small difference in performance. Definitely an option if you are on a tight budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back