Contribute
Register

GA-Z97X-UD3H Slow network

Status
Not open for further replies.
bubbl3,

Its great that developers are making open-source drivers available for devices not normally supported by OS X.
However I personally believe its always worth trying to use the original Apple drivers where-ever possible. They would have the best integration, performance and compatibility with OS X.

Through the new FakePCIID injection method we are able to make many previously non-supported 3rd party devices work with OS X directly, without any patching.

In this case there are also the commercially supported drivers from Small Tree, which should also have a high degree of quality.

LeaderDesslok,

For testing purposes I have created 2 injectors. Please test each by placing them in /System/Library/Extensions separately and repairing permissions.

FakePCIID_Apple_Injector

This uses FakePCIID to attempt and use your device with the default AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext driver available in OS X.
However I have not seen an original Mac IORegistry dump with this driver loaded, so I cannot be sure of the subsystem-id and subsystem-vendor-id values to inject.

FakePCIID_SmallTree_Injector

This uses the drivers made available by SmallTree (a company selling re-branded Intel adapters for OS X).
Besides updating the device-id and vendor-id through FakePCIID, we also provide a new subsystem-id and subsystem-vendor-id for the SmallTree driver.
The subsystem-id of 0x000a was gleaned from their webpage, but again I have not seen a dump with this.

Please try out both options and save an IORegistry result to see if it works properly.
Post ioreg: [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply to an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Attachments

• FakePCIID_Apple_Injector.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 82
  • FakePCIID_SmallTree_Injector.zip
    79.1 KB · Views: 80
bubbl3,

It was not be meant to seem berating. I agree that having an additional open-source option is great, especially as it could be that Apple suddenly removes these drivers from OS X in future versions.

Anyways lets see if the approach as suggested works for LeaderDesslok, I cannot test it myself as I do not have any Intel adapters.

If it does not work he always has the option you suggested.

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the instructions to the best of my ability, but got kernel panics on restart. Based on the InsanelyMac forum, I can't even tell if my device ID is supported. Most likely, I just screwed up the install but I don't really have time to troubleshoot.

I tried the install using both the manual technique as outlined on the forum and Kext Wizard and got kernel panics from both methods. At this point, I may just buy a NIC that I know is supported, it's cheaper than my time. That said, it would be nice to figure it out. This problem only started after I installed 10.10.2.

Whats the kernel panic message?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back