Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
N00Bster said:
did anyone get a successful install of lion 10.7.3? i cant install it. i tried downloading it from the app store than i tried downloading it from the normal software updater and it didnt work.
Worked fine, nothing to report really. Downloaded from software update.

every time i use software update to update to lion 10.7.3 from 10.7.2 it says ''the update mac osx update combined can't be saved.

My network port has disappeared entirely from my system.

I went ahead with a Lion update today. Everything went fine, installed Lion, ran Multibeast...no ethernet. After trying multiple drivers, I checked in Windows...no ethernet. The onboard port is GONE. Nothing will see it! I've reset the BIOS, reflashed the BIOS, pulled the CMOS battery, nothing. All I get are the f**king boot loops all too common on SB Gigabyte boards that thankfully stop after it's unplugged. Any further ideas? I have an Intel Pro/1000 GT PCI card, but it looks like they no worky with Hackies. In fact, I tried nearly half a dozen ethernet/wireless cards I have laying around. Windows can see and sometimes use them, but NONE are so much as seen by Lion. I don't even get a PCI card in System Profiler. Could this be a DSDT issue? Does Lion simply not like PCI cards?

Regardless, I will NEVER buy another Gigabyte product for as long as I live. I had to do some serious voodoo a couple of months ago to resolve a ridiculous boot loop issue. Now this. They used to make good stuff. Now they make lowest-bidder garbage outsourced to incompetent f**king MORONS.

someoneelse said:

I went ahead with a Lion update today. Everything went fine, installed Lion, ran Multibeast...no ethernet. After trying multiple drivers, I checked in Windows...no ethernet. The onboard port is GONE. Nothing will see it! I've reset the BIOS, reflashed the BIOS, pulled the CMOS battery, nothing. All I get are the f**king boot loops all too common on SB Gigabyte boards that thankfully stop after it's unplugged. Any further ideas? I have an Intel Pro/1000 GT PCI card, but it looks like they no worky with Hackies. In fact, I tried nearly half a dozen ethernet/wireless cards I have laying around. Windows can see and sometimes use them, but NONE are so much as seen by Lion. I don't even get a PCI card in System Profiler. Could this be a DSDT issue? Does Lion simply not like PCI cards?

Regardless, I will NEVER buy another Gigabyte product for as long as I live. I had to do some serious voodoo a couple of months ago to resolve a ridiculous boot loop issue. Now this. They used to make good stuff. Now they make lowest-bidder garbage outsourced to incompetent f**king MORONS.
Oh wtf, I had a really similar problem myself.

I installed Lion from scratch, but then after quite some time the Ethernet just disappeared of its own accord. I thought it would just be OS X, but it wasn't recognised in Windows either. I tried resetting the BIOS and so on but eventually someone told me to pull the CMOS battery, so I did so, waited 30 seconds or so whilst repeatedly hitting the power button, and when I put it back in and started up, it worked.

ellisbodds said:
someoneelse said:

I installed Lion from scratch, but then after quite some time the Ethernet just disappeared of its own accord. I thought it would just be OS X, but it wasn't recognised in Windows either. I tried resetting the BIOS and so on but eventually someone told me to pull the CMOS battery, so I did so, waited 30 seconds or so whilst repeatedly hitting the power button, and when I put it back in and started up, it worked.
I saw. Several battery pulls later, I'm still busted. I'm going to hunt for a supported PCIe ethernet card today. I don't have time to deal with this crap. I don't know if iBoot/Chimera/Multibeast or whatever is triggering this, but the bottom line is that it should be IMPOSSIBLE for software to knock out a network port like this. It's crappy BIOS by Gigabyte, plain and simple. Have you seen the boot loops, too? Even pressing the reset button will cause them.

someoneelse said:
ellisbodds said:
someoneelse said:

I saw. Several battery pulls later, I'm still busted. I'm going to hunt for a supported PCIe ethernet card today. I don't have time to deal with this crap. I don't know if iBoot/Chimera/Multibeast or whatever is triggering this, but the bottom line is that it should be IMPOSSIBLE for software to knock out a network port like this. It's crappy BIOS by Gigabyte, plain and simple. Have you seen the boot loops, too? Even pressing the reset button will cause them.
Yep, I don't use my reset button because of them. When you look at the specs etc. of Gigabyte boards for the price, they seem like great deals. But to be honest, I'm not sure I'll go with a Gigabyte for my next motherboard. I'll probably get an Asus instead.

N00Bster said:
every time i use software update to update to lion 10.7.3 from 10.7.2 it says ''the update mac osx update combined can't be saved.
Did you try the the combo update?
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484

As for the ethernet issue I have figured out that my issue was not a network issue, but that my motherboard would not recognize ethernet if the PSU was turned on before plugging in ethernet cable. Maybe its the same case above, try turning off your PSU plugging in the cable and then turning it back on. Additionally double check your BIOS settings, maybe someone is pranking you?

titsmgee said:
N00Bster said:

As for the ethernet issue I have figured out that my issue was not a network issue, but that my motherboard would not recognize ethernet if the PSU was turned on before plugging in ethernet cable. Maybe its the same case above, try turning off your PSU plugging in the cable and then turning it back on. Additionally double check your BIOS settings, maybe someone is pranking you?
I left it plugged in the whole time I was doing this. Do you mean to shut it down, unplug ethernet, shut off PSU, wait, plug in ethernet, power on PSU, turn on computer?

And nobody's pranking me here.

EDIT:

I COULD KISS YOU! Apparently I hadn't tried that one combination of factors, but shutting off, unplugging ethernet, then plugging it back in AFTER powering on the PSU but before powering on the computer WORKED! I have ethernet again and it's working fine!

These friggin' Gigabyte boards should come with a dead chicken to shake over them and a list of chants appropriate for various troubleshooting issues.

Ha, lol.
Glad I was able to help out

titsmgee said:
N00Bster said:

i tried the combo update i am just going to reformat with 10.7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back