Contribute
Register

GA-Z68XP-UD3P owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
ellisbodds said:
Nice, stock voltage? I think I maxed out at 4GHz on stock voltage, and I'm at 4.5GHz now with 1.3V. That's where I'm going to keep it as well, nice round number.

im running 4.0ghz at 1.185V. Maxing at 52C. i have a huge 200m exhaust fan on top, so using a push/pull method was the right choice, bringing cooler air in to regulate the radiator. warm air rising, going out the top.

eighteesix said:
ellisbodds said:
Nice, stock voltage? I think I maxed out at 4GHz on stock voltage, and I'm at 4.5GHz now with 1.3V. That's where I'm going to keep it as well, nice round number.

im running 4.0ghz at 1.185V. Maxing at 52C. i have a huge 200m exhaust fan on top, so using a push/pull method was the right choice, bringing cooler air in to regulate the radiator. warm air rising, going out the top.
That's good. That's really good actually. Are you going to keep going with the overclock or keep it at 4GHz? I'd keep going at least until 4.5GHz, sounds like you've got both a decent chip and a decent cooling setup so you'll be able to do it without making much more heat.

ellisbodds said:
That's good. That's really good actually. Are you going to keep going with the overclock or keep it at 4GHz? I'd keep going at least until 4.5GHz, sounds like you've got both a decent chip and a decent cooling setup so you'll be able to do it without making much more heat.

Meh. Technically, that could shorten the chips life, albeit slowly. I have no reason to bring it to 4.5 other than for sheer technical experimentation. I don't run anything that will truly take advantage of the extra .5ghz. So for now, probably not. I'm going for a balance in speed and temperature. I may hit 4.2, but still, no real point. Only good reason is... because I can. ;)

although i am contemplating raising the bclock value...

eighteesix said:
ellisbodds said:

Meh. Technically, that could shorten the chips life, albeit slowly. I have no reason to bring it to 4.5 other than for sheer technical experimentation. I don't run anything that will truly take advantage of the extra .5ghz. So for now, probably not. I'm going for a balance in speed and temperature. I may hit 4.2, but still, no real point. Only good reason is... because I can. ;)

although i am contemplating raising the bclock value...
You're not going to shorten the life of the CPU by a noticeable amount unless you're doing suicide runs with 1.5V or something silly.

But it's your call, I just personally don't feel that there's any real risk with a reasonably medium overclock.

discreetlogic said:
Hey, the fork in the discussion is a little off topic, but it's interesting.

What apps/techniques are you using to monitor temperature? What works best so far?

Anyone enabling SMART on the harddrives?

curious.

I'm using iStat Menus with the FaceSMC Plugins from MultiBeast, which works wonderfully for me. The guy who made them also has a widget version, but I like them in the menu bar. And yes I do have SMART turned on.

I have a couple of quick questions… Does it matter which computer definitions you use? I think I'm on Mac Pro 3,1 now, but what would happen if I changed it to 5,1? Also, is there a downside to installing multiple kexts? For instance, installing all of the network ones?

JrWho said:
I have a couple of quick questions… Does it matter which computer definitions you use? I think I'm on Mac Pro 3,1 now, but what would happen if I changed it to 5,1? Also, is there a downside to installing multiple kexts? For instance, installing all of the network ones?

mac pro 3,1 has the most compatibility. and yes kexts matter. installing all of the network kexts can actually break your network settings. try to find the right one. manually delete those you dont need or dont work.

eighteesix said:
JrWho said:

mac pro 3,1 has the most compatibility. and yes kexts matter. installing all of the network kexts can actually break your network settings. try to find the right one. manually delete those you dont need or dont work.

Hmm, could that be what made my optical drive stop working? Installing too many SATA kexts?

could be, absolutely.

I'll have to delete and install them again then… I'll post up my results if anything is fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back