Contribute
Register

GA-H55N-USB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I didn't have to muck with the driver code at all.

Right in the first post of the VoodooHDA driver thread:
http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=355

It describes what to do if you have multiple audio devices (bullet point #4).

The solution is to edit the plist file at /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist and replace the IOKitPersonalities node with the one in the forum post. Then edit the device ID's to match your system (if you copy/paste don't forget to remove the comments about replacing the ID's ex: "-- place here deviceID of your sound card...").

Getting this ID's is the tricky part. There might be a way to do this in OSX but I don't know what it is. I used Linux and the lspci command:

lspci -nn

Output will be something like:
Code:
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio [8086:3b56] (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be4] (rev a1)

The device ID is the 8 digit hex number between the square brackets. Except when you put this into the Info.plist file the order is reversed. So for me my onboard HDA chipset ID reported by lspci is 8086:3b56 and must be entered into the Info.plist file as 0x3b568086.

Thanks Tony for the tip, I would not have been able to figure this out without your input.

EDIT: I should point out I get a wicked hiss/hum in the backround. However thats better than no sound at all. I've also used the 0.2.62 version, though I suspect 0.2.5x version would work also (did not test).

Nice one- could you post your VoodooHDA for 240GT + 892? Thanks!

EDIT: I get very clear sound using VoodooHDA 2.56 on the H55N-USB3. All of the other versions are noisy in my limited testing.

Sure enough, 0.2.56 is clear as day. No hiss/hum.

One other development worth mentioning. With both 0.2.56 and 0.2.62 if I specified both the HDA onboard chipset and the video card HDA chipset in the IOKitPersonalities list in the Info.plist file I would get a kernel panic on boot. In the end I had to ensure only my onboard HDA chipset was listed there.

Modified kext attached to post as requested...

EDIT: not a kernel panic, but a kernel freeze. No error message output when using -v switch just simply failed to continue loading.

Attachments

• VoodooHDA.kext-0.2.56-ALC892MOD.zip
    150.8 KB · Views: 176
Any word on a LegacyACL892 for this board, or is VoodooHDA 0.2.56 the default solution?

Lnx2Mac's Ethernet driver works great, much better than the modified Realtek1000.kext that I was using before. Still hoping for the wake-on-lan checkbox.

Does sleep fully work on this board? I haven't used it in a while, I recall my board rebooting when I tried it.

Captain Crunch said:
Lnx2Mac's Ethernet driver works great, much better than the modified Realtek1000.kext that I was using before.

Still hoping for the wake-on-lan checkbox.
Note that WOL works... You just have to enable it in the BIOS...
When I implement the checkbox, it'll be possible to 'disable' WOL, even if it's enabled in BIOS (but not sure it'll work the other way around).

Stay tuned ;)

Hi tony. I have a similar build to you, and I have probs with my memory. I have 4gb of OCZ gold 133mhz ddr3, and in system profiler I am only getting DDR2 667mhz. Is this just esthetic, or is there something that needs to be fixed?

JackF1 said:
Hi tony. I have a similar build to you, and I have probs with my memory. I have 4gb of OCZ gold 133mhz ddr3, and in system profiler I am only getting DDR2 667mhz. Is this just esthetic, or is there something that needs to be fixed?
The speed reporting in System Profiler has been discussed many times before for Core i3 and Core i5-6xx

It's purely cosmetic.

JackF1 said:

Don't worry- it IS aesthetic/cosmetic.

OCZ Ram isn't picked up well in AsereBLN's Chameleon RC4, which is in iBoot and default in MultiBeast.

When RC5 is released, you'll get full recognition- if you're wanting to test in the meantime- grab the latest chameleon source and build RC5- then just replace the hidden boot file on your root partition. Here's what I'm getting with RC5 for OCZ RAM:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-24 at 4.00.24 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-24 at 4.00.24 PM.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 350
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back