Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod — GA H370M D3H GSM — i5-8500 — RX580 Pulse 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a blast! I'm watching your thread with interest.

@BillyGoatGruff cheers. Put it together yesterday to see if I could get anything working, but just got a boot loop. I suspect that’s because I installed the two NVMe and they both have macOS on them. So I’ll reformat them and try again. I was surprised by the orange flashing LED on the motherboard, apparently it’s to do with the sound, it can be changed in BIOS though.

Hmm, interesting. Looking to get the rest of my bits soon. Then the fun will start! Are you able to show me the files on your boot loader? I still have to add two files, green something or other and another thingamabob!

Hmm... Pretty sure the motherboard isn't working, I won't be picking up refurbished boards again!. I got it from Amazon for $50, after being warned that I'm taking a chance. Lesson to all, never buy refurbished boards, you never know what's been done to it. I tried various things to get it going, remove battery, replace battery, short the CMOS but zero!. Could possibly download BIOS and flash it again, but maybe that's why it isn't working now. Power is definitely hitting the board, I noticed the RGB ram stick just flashing but the LED around the sound caps stopped flashing. One positive, I managed to connect the CBH front IO cable and the White LED lit up!, that was very exciting, but nothing else happened. Losing a $50 refurb board isn't to painful, if it was new, I'd be.....
I have ordered a replacement, but not the same board, a Gigabyte B365M DS3H from Amazon for $70. I'm losing a M.2 slot, CNVi WiFi slot and USB 3.1 Gen2, am I upset about losing these?, not necessarily. 2 NVMe would generate a lot of heat and I'm not confident that the G5 case with the extra fans will keep 2 EX900 cool. I have the Fenvi dual band wireless card I can put in the x4 slot, so losing the WiFi slot isn't an issue. And I kinda like the antenna sticking out the PCI slot on the rear, reminds me of a really dopey dog. And the USB3.1 Gen2 is a bit over my head, maybe someone can educate me!.

Not quite according to plan, but it works!. Ah yes the power supply, that stopped working. So in it's place is a Dell 7010 SFF PSU. The computer is able to stay on through the force that's applied by the PSU to a pen that sits against a hole in the rear fan guard. Checked BIOS, CPU temp was bouncing around 28, another sensor on the motherboard said 32.

B365MDS3H.jpg

After loading windows from an SSD inside my HP6300, I opened GB4 and ran a quick test. It would boot into CBM and find the HP NVMe but it wouldn't load Recovery or macOS Mojave, even after leaving on overnight!. I'm planning on creating a refreshed USB installer with Unibeast 9.3.0 later. Unsure about which BIOS settings I should be using though, I have time to look, though search didn't return much.

17830.PNG

Last edited:
Looks like you've got quite a bit to do to get back on the rails. Still waiting for my G5 ATX...

I thought you guys might like to see the LTT "Frankentosh" it's alive in the laboratory.

I really couldn't live with a G5 back panel that looks like this. :confused:
I'd go for what Craig has done, no questions asked.

Attachments

• 1581600717872.jpeg
    1581600717872.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 131
I thought you guys might like to see the LTT "Frankentosh" it's alive in the laboratory.

I really couldn't live with a G5 back panel that looks like this. :confused:
I'd go for what Craig has done, no questions asked.

Agreed. Shoddy (does that word work over the Pond?).

:)

Agreed. Shoddy (does that word work over the Pond?
Yep, we use that word all the time. I'm trying to figure out whether they are serious about this LTT project or if it's nothing more than a sophmoric joke of a video series. Probably the latter. Once the liquid cooling loop starts leaking and destroys the expensive server motherboard we'll all have the last laugh. Especially any Apple employees watching that were involved in the development and production of the real Mac Pro 20119 refresh.

Last edited:
Just seeing the attached photo...I’m speechless!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back