Contribute
Register

G5 Asus P8Z77-M Pro Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
A slidable tray is certainly ambitious, but question its practicality especially once the motherboard is connected to PSU, drives, and other internal components.

One observation: If you trim your tray (on the red line) you may get some more vertical space to play with for better overall tray positioning

Attachments

• G5_Asus_P8Z77-M_Pro_Hack.jpg
    G5_Asus_P8Z77-M_Pro_Hack.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 186
one advantage with slideable is of course if you want to change the CPU cooler with backplate, with a tray with hole in its back its easier. Another to basically give a ´rear cut/ hack-look ´ more ´reasonablility´ ;)

Yes, the height is critical, have to trim it on the top and bottom to fit at all. I´d like to give the tray more stability( its just one aluminium sheet) with additional small brackets. On top and bottom there have to be kinda rails or brackets to slide.

Overall its VERY tight, its about a few mm that a 120 mm fan wont fit, thats a pity. So maybe go with an 92 or even 100mm fan..hmm

…Overall its VERY tight, its about a few mm that a 120 mm fan wont fit, thats a pity. So maybe go with an 92 or even 100mm fan..hmm

Why not reuse the original dual 92mm bracket from the G5?

when I install the tray with IO shield, the position is lower averall, so the old bracket with 2 x 90mm wont fit.

Yes, you'd have cut and splice the fan section closer to the door and lower int he case, or make a new back panel with mounts for dual 92mm fans

metalworks.

cut the openings for PCI-slots/ IO shield and also cut out the socket for the powerswitch.

found the advantages of filing instead of jigsaw cutting when it comes to working mm-wise.. ;)

When doing measurements again I had to step back now from the slideable tray concept because I definitely want a 120 mm rear fan. With this tray and the 120 fan I only have about 6 mm in total height for standoffs completley. That means I will glue short standoffs or better aluminium brackets.

Attachments

• Foto0312.jpg
    Foto0312.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Foto0317.jpg
    Foto0317.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Foto0318.jpg
    Foto0318.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 166
also my Lian Li hdd cage came in ..quite bulky, but nice features like rubber mounts for the hdds and also the front 120 mm fan. Detacheble/washable filter.
I find this cage better than the Lian Li EX-H34A..those models have all the same cage with plastik rails where you cant install hdd-anti-vibration rubbers..got it for 7 Euros off eGay.
love the idea of a hdd cage with installed 120 mm fan ..maybe two of them installed give enough airflow instead of standalone front fans ?

I planned this to use for my Lian Li project but of course this now is on hold as I used the tray in the G5 now..;) maybe that case still is moddable in future..

hope I can finish the noisy metal works today ..

Attachments

• Foto0313.jpg
    Foto0313.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Foto0315.jpg
    Foto0315.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 134
Where do you want to place that tray? The good thing about the other tray without the rubber is, that you can easily switch the HDDs.
If you want to place your tray under the top, be aware that you will block the air flow for your GPU and reduce the possible length of the GPU to quiet a short length.

yes, I know the other Lian Li hhd cage type, my PC-V600 has the same ones..I really had massive vibration problems due to lacking hdd damping..those aluminium cases just SWING..but of course the swapability is nice, too..

when my PSU is on top shelf, my hdd cage ( G5 one or Lian Li ) is on front. And yeah my HD6870 with 24,4 cm will fit with 1 cm distance to the cage.
But I´ll mod it anyway because the tray in front of the cage that holds the filter has to go..so this will give another 30 mm extra..

btw, with your first G5 mod you also had 2x 80mm rear fans installed, right?..with your mobo, would a 120mm have fit in? I guess not..

Attachments

• Foto0319.jpg
    Foto0319.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 147
btw, with your first G5 mod you also had 2x 80mm rear fans installed, right?..with your mobo, would a 120mm have fit in? I guess not..

Yeah, I think so too. Unfortunately I recently sold that case and can't measure it. But I doubt a 120mm fan would fit in the back, because I have placed the MB tray on top of the G5 standoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back