Contribute
Register

G5 Asus P8Z77-M Pro Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think so too. Unfortunately I recently sold that case and can't measure it. But I doubt a 120mm fan would fit in the back, because I have placed the MB tray on top of the G5 standoffs.

yes, thats the reason I now try to shorten them.. its really all about some mm ..haha

metalworks II ...

working on the tray, shortened on top and bottom edge, it looks more like an mATX-only form, but a full ATX would hit the top shelf any way, I think.
filing down the back profile brackets of the Lian Li tray to match the height of the new standoffs I got from the hardware shop ( 7mm ).
and it was not that easy to find any threaded 7 mm standoff-type thingies at all.
The new standoffs will give more stability and are better because they offer better glueing surface. I tried to shorten the original standoffs but it was a pain in the arse..;)

I´ll try to saw the G5 backpanel with my handsaw not the jig because its forms are to filigrane and I bought the wrong aluminium plate , its too thin..but its good for testing.

sawing the hole for CPU backplates..

Attachments

• Foto0322.jpg
    Foto0322.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Foto0320.jpg
    Foto0320.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 184
  • Foto0323.jpg
    Foto0323.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 137
  • Foto0324.jpg
    Foto0324.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Foto0325.jpg
    Foto0325.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 141
A full ATX will fit under the top shelf as long as you lower everything in the case. The popular Mountain Mods motherbaord tray and pack panel are for full ATX and there are countless G5 mods on this forum using them.

the Mountain Mods tray stock installed will reach into the top area a bit from the Fotos I find..but with further modding this will be ok, I guess..

transplantation successful ;) this cut got me headaches but actually it was a 10m filejob..

also the tray got a little attention for the fan to fit.

doing the third template before cutting the backplate..like..think trice, fumble twice and cut once..;)

Attachments

• Foto0327.jpg
    Foto0327.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Foto0326.jpg
    Foto0326.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 142
  • Foto0328.jpg
    Foto0328.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 139
the Mountain Mods tray stock installed will reach into the top area a bit from the Fotos I find..but with further modding this will be ok, I guess..

transplantation successful ;) this cut got me headaches but actually it was a 10m filejob..

also the tray got a little attention for the fan to fit..

As long as the uppermost PCI slot isn't any higher than where the original G5's upper slot was located you should be OK as far as the board fitting bellow the upper shelf. I have a Micro ATX in mine with the capability to put in a full ATX down the line because I reused parts from an old build when I did my G5. Here are pictures of the motherboard tray:

u8HJMrU.jpg

v2cu8Wn.jpg

That is a nice clean case. Is the PS power in using a pigtail to the back of the case, and can you still fit an optical drive in the original position in front of the PS?

yes, I located mine on the original slots , I even do when I installed my on tray..should be ok..

..nice build, very clean. When you installed your system with the PSU on top, is the CPU power connector ( 8 pin power) long enough to reach your mobo ?

That is a nice clean case. Is the PS power in using a pigtail to the back of the case, and can you still fit an optical drive in the original position in front of the PS?

There is room for an optical drive although I don't have one installed currently. The G5's orgional long optical drive is a tight fit but most modern SATA drives are a couple inches shorter.

yes, I located mine on the original slots , I even do when I installed my on tray..should be ok..

..nice build, very clean. When you installed your system with the PSU on top, is the CPU power connector ( 8 pin power) long enough to reach your mobo ?

My board only uses a 4 pin and the 8 pin is stashed on the upper shelf for now, I used an extension that runs behind the tray and comes out right next to the 4 pin connector on the bottom.

The thread for my G5 is here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/98172-rehpotsirhcs-g5.html
I didn't go into that much detail while actually cutting the pieces and gluing things in place, it's more pictures while I was doing the final assembly.

Here's a picture of my 4 pin cable and the fan cables running behind my board, you can also see one of the thumb screws I used to secure the motherboard. I used thumb screws only on the bottom row of motherboard holes and on the PCI brackets, pretty much anywhere where the case makes using a screwdriver difficult.

0uEWTKL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back